Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4ft pepper grinders- fun find

jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
Went into a William Sonoma kitchen store at an outlet mall.  Found a 4ft expensive pepper grinder in clearance.  Needed some TLC.  But for $36.  Gave it a shot.  

Stripped it down. Pinned a Crack. Im Down to some Crack filler finsh sand and ready to paint.  Need a color advise.  Thought about an automotive paint and multi layer clear coats for wet look depth.  Funny part I asked the cashier.  Will you take $35.  She said no.  But $36 and it's a deal.  Grinder portion is new.

But a fun project.  I'm thinking my custom grind steak blend.

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Looks like an interesting project
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Nice buy and all, but personally, I think I would have held out for the 6’ model. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Its the Pandemic Pepper Grinder... long enough to maintain "social distancing". 

Would love to see it once you've refinished it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    edited March 2023
    black piano high gloss lacquer would be nice.  heres mine, not high end....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KimberlyO
    KimberlyO Posts: 48
    Beautiful! and fits right in that spot!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • jdMyers
    Thanks.  I also feel better about it.  I was thinking maybe automotive candy color high gloss like a Lamborghini color etc.  Yellow orange or blue
    Columbus, Ohio
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    Should have probably walked out when they wouldn't take $35, but very cool project. Plus now you have a spare table leg or bannister should you need one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I think it would look awesome painted like a barber pole.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jdMyers
    Barber pole neat idea.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    local Costco had a similar one on clearance for 20$CDN - SMBO gave me a bad look when we passed by them and she saw my lip moving 😂🤣

I've seen all the different heights for pepper grinders. Is there a practical reason? I assume one just holds more pepper and looks cooler? 

I've been looking at the pepper cannon but it's expensive
    Boom
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I've seen all the different heights for pepper grinders. Is there a practical reason? I assume one just holds more pepper and looks cooler? 

It isn't the size of the pepper grinder, it's how you use it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    local Costco had a similar one on clearance for 20$CDN - SMBO gave me a bad look when we passed by them and she saw my lip moving 😂🤣
    Amateur. Never go to Costco with SWMBO.
    LoL, and I see what you did there 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman

the only practical place for such a grinder is in the hands of a highly trained professional pepper grinder waiter in an italian restaurant.
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750

the only practical place for such a grinder is in the hands of a highly trained professional pepper grinder waiter in an italian restaurant.
    https://youtu.be/wAFGEBdeDNk
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Cool score and neat project.  Can’t wait to see the end result.   If it were mine I’d do it up in Alma Mater color scheme.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • jdMyers

I looked at the pepper cannon also.  Too much $.  The auto grinders for $19 work great.  This 4ft was just for the project itself.  Seemed fun for cheap.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers

So if I put eyetalyinn righting on the side that's in italicized that says fragile does that count 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    jdMyers  I:

So if I put eyetalyinn righting on the side that's in italicized that says fragile does that count 
    Sounds good to me. Only put good pepper in there in small amounts so it does not stale.
    fukahwee maine

• jdMyers
    I totally agree.  And a round cap to keep the grime odd the bottom.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    jdMyers said:

https://youtu.be/lR29zxrY2LM
    Boom
  • jdMyers
    Laughing that's exactly where that came from.  Good find.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers said:
    Went into a William Sonoma kitchen store at an outlet mall.  Found a 4ft expensive pepper grinder in clearance.  Needed some TLC.  But for $36.  Gave it a shot.  

Stripped it down. Pinned a Crack. Im Down to some Crack filler finsh sand and ready to paint.  Need a color advise.  Thought about an automotive paint and multi layer clear coats for wet look depth.  Funny part I asked the cashier.  Will you take $35.  She said no.  But $36 and it's a deal.  Grinder portion is new.

Don’t let your wife anywhere near that thing, take it from me.
  • @almaholzhert

With a handle like yours, I’m inclined to take your word. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    jdMyers said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    you can break that old adage “the food quality is inversely proportional to the size of the pepper grinder”.  =)
    jdMyers said:

I am not "taking" anything from you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    jdMyers said:

I am not "taking" anything from you.
    Based on that user name I’m guessing they are the ones doing the taking.  And lots of it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike