Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how would you cook salmon

Options
tiny thin tail fillets skin on.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I like to cook it fast and hot on the back of my grill grates.  I season it with char-crust and a squirt of olive oil.

Don't over cook it.  But, you know that.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Same way you cook thicker ones except faster.
    Options
    Same way you cook thicker ones except faster.

what im not sure about is getting the skin cooked without overcooking the meat or maybe just discarding the skin after the cook. in the bag frozen the thick end looks to be about 5/16 tapering to a potato chip. these must have been some tiny fish. kinda wish they left the tails whole
    fukahwee maine

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Me, I would cut them off where it makes sense for dinner fillet, and poach the tails for salmon salad—add mayo etc. make sandwiches or put on cracker.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Me, I would cut them off where it makes sense for dinner fillet, and poach the tails for salmon salad—add mayo etc. make sandwiches or put on cracker.

i think im going to cook a couple maybe in the oven and if it doesnt work, poached in butter, flaked for croquettes.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hotter for the skin.  Salmon survives overcooking better than most fish.  Especially farmed bc all the fat.
    Options
    The thin pieces work well for en papillote
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I plank them, even with skin on, still get smoke in the meat and skin pulls right off 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Being a few cocktails into the evening, I acquire salmon with girth. (Girth over length any day.)  But if a gift than there are several options as noted above.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Not sure about cooking it, but I’ve been wanting to make Salmon Jerky 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2023
    Options
    If they're that thin, fry them into salmon chip type of things. 

caliqueen picked these up from Costco recently. They were pretty good. Should be easy to make something similar, even without the salted egg yolk. 

IRVINS Dangerously Addictive Salted Egg Chips Crisps Snacks (Salted Egg Salmon, 230g) https://a.co/d/4ZusKuR

Edit: it may  seem like my stock answer is "deep fry it!", but, come on... crispy fish skin is delicious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    caliking said:

caliqueen picked these up from Costco recently. They were pretty good. Should be easy to make something similar, even without the salted egg yolk. 

IRVINS Dangerously Addictive Salted Egg Chips Crisps Snacks (Salted Egg Salmon, 230g) https://a.co/d/4ZusKuR

Edit: it may  seem like my stock answer is "deep fry it!", but, come on... crispy fish skin is delicious.
    Have you deep fried garlic yet?  Because I have to think if anyone has tried that, it is you.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

Have you deep fried garlic yet?  Because I have to think if anyone has tried that, it is you.
    Sort of.  “Burnt garlic” fried rice is pretty damn good. Fry the shite out of the garlic, and it has a great caramelized flavor.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options

i think im going to cook a couple maybe in the oven and if it doesnt work, poached in butter, flaked for croquettes.
    I like it, many years since I made croquettes. Got me thinking thanks for the reminder
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    With heat
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:

Don't look at me, I didn't say anything.
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    If frozen, thaw in air fryer for five minutes then add dressing and spices. Run for 10 minutes at 400. Perfect every time.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Fry in garlic butter? Everything tastes good in garlic butter!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    edited March 2023
    Options

Citrus Salmon Glaze

1/3 cup Brown Sugar

2 Tbsp. Lemon Zest

Juice from ½ Lemon

1 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt

½ tsp. Black Pepper

Mix the above in a food processor (it will result in a firm paste)

Put a whole salmon filet on parchment, skin side down

Grill indirect with a little mild smoke at 225 to 275

After about 10 minutes, spoon on the glaze (it will be too firm to brush initially, but will thin as it warms)

Brush the glaze over the salmon, keep adding glaze throughout the cook.

You may need to brush away the white protein as it appears

Serve immediately or wait until it cools to room temp  

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    plan now is to hit it hard in the castiron on high heat, then into a sheet pan with some type of hoisin glaze. hoping for a crunchy sticky fish chip. will have some fish chowder and scallops to go with it
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    This has Gin in it, lol. Its actually pretty good stuff. I would just scale back the amounts and maybe a little less cure time

http://www.thewalleye.ca/suolakala-bob-katajamakis-salt-fish/