Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newcomer with a problem lid

Options
Help! The lid on my XL BGE is starting to stick, in the closed position. I mean it requires a hammer to knock it open. About 18 months into my BGE journey, I've been delighted with the Egg's performance -- until now. My rapping on the handle risks ruining the integrity of the construction, but otherwise, I cannot open the Egg. All points bulletin for insight. Anybody? -- (signed) Baffled in West Texas

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If it's the hinge that's binding, have you tried WD-40 or something similar?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    First, quit hitting it with a hammer.  

Something must be in a bind.  Can you post some photos of the hinge bolts, etc. in the back?  One of them is probably too tight or in a bind.  Can you look at the hinge while someone applies upward pressure on the handle?  Do you notice one side move and the other side not?

Something has to be in a bind.  Forcing it is only going to make it worse.

I searched for "bind" and found this:

The hinge bolt that connects the lower hinge to the dome band tightens up over time. Loosen it up slightly and see what happens.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    One of the members here had the same problem.  @Photo Egg was good enough to post a photo.  Probably how he got his name.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    As warned above…NEVER even have a hammer even NEAR  a ceramic BGE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I’m going out on a limb. Having no clue what your weather is like this time of year. No chance it’s frozen/frosted shut?
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Not in west TX
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Options
    also check the four pivoting bolts/nuts on the two back hinges. they should not be locked down tight. The little plastic warning tag should spin freely. 

Around us, we have a problem on grills assembled by hardware (Ace) guys. They have the hardware store mentality, if it is loose tighten it down. 

t
  • AgingCarnivore
    Options
    You EggHeads got me chuckling with your good-natured replies. Per recommendations, I will examine the hinges and bolts, searching for what might well be a simple remedy. Thanks for the input.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You EggHeads got me chuckling with your good-natured replies. Per recommendations, I will examine the hinges and bolts, searching for what might well be a simple remedy. Thanks for the input.
    Since the only thing holding the dome to the base is the hinges and bolts…it will seem stupid simple when you find the problem. And you will then know what to look for in the future and keep it lightly oiled and maybe help the next person looking for similar help on the forum.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    pics or it didn’t happen 

how do I post photos? tried several times, failed.
  • AgingCarnivore
    Options
    Aha. When in doubt, read the instructions, Einstein. Good to know this is common enough to command space on the Egg website. End of mystery. Next, I need to learn how to post photos.
    {quoted directly rom the website: "Otherwise, to open the EGG – ONLY WHEN IT IS COOL – carefully insert a flat object such as a putty knife between the dome and base gasket and slowly work the flat edge around the circumference of the base. This should loosen the seal enough for you to be able to open the EGG."}
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,942
    Options
    Aha. When in doubt, read the instructions, Einstein. Good to know this is common enough to command space on the Egg website. End of mystery. Next, I need to learn how to post photos.
    {quoted directly rom the website: "Otherwise, to open the EGG – ONLY WHEN IT IS COOL – carefully insert a flat object such as a putty knife between the dome and base gasket and slowly work the flat edge around the circumference of the base. This should loosen the seal enough for you to be able to open the EGG."}

That button on the desktop version of the site will do it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike