Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Road trippin this June

Options
wife and I are taking a 10 day drive up to Maine this June. Never been north of NY. Trip N will be to Niagara Falls then across NH/VT into Maine. S will be along coast through Boston.

I could google, but thought I would ask here if anyone has any "must see" in NH/VT area and where in Maine would you make a priority to see?  
We like to hike, but are not hard core hikers. Smoother the better. :-)  And of course we are looking forward to having fresh lobster...

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Paging @fishlessman .  He will take care of you. 
    Also if you have the time there have been a few related threads here  which the search function should uncover.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    1) Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park is a great area to spend some time.  The hikes are near the coast which is not too hilly so they are not too rigorous.  We rented a boat for a half day and did some boating in the bay - not out in the Atlantic.

2) Drink some Allagash beer - and/or visit the brewery in Portland (fishlessman recommended this to me when I went and I highly recommend it)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    wife and I are taking a 10 day drive up to Maine this June. Never been north of NY. Trip N will be to Niagara Falls then across NH/VT into Maine. S will be along coast through Boston.

I could google, but thought I would ask here if anyone has any "must see" in NH/VT area and where in Maine would you make a priority to see?  
    We like to hike, but are not hard core hikers. Smoother the better. :-)  And of course we are looking forward to having fresh lobster...

We took that very trip a few years ago.   You have to see Niagra but disappointing with all the commercialization, Maid of the Mist is worth it to get in there and away from the crowds.  Upstate New York is a amazing place, we camped the whole way (stayed in a hotel in Bangor) and really enjoyed the Finger Lakes area basically all of upstate was beautiful.  My favorite park was White Mountain National Forest, I want to get back there, it was just outstanding.  Take the Mount Washington Rail Cog, pretty memorable trip, we rode the Diesel but they have a steam engine if you plan better, not for the squeamish. Also the hikers on the A.T. will moon you at the top. You have been warned. There is a PO at the top if you want to send a post card, I would do that trip on a clear day the view is amazing.
     Once we were in Maine we hit every Lobster roll spot on the route, they were about $12 a piece when we went.   We stayed a nice hotel/motel in downtown Bangor, camp grounds were full. Great walking town and restaurants,  We sat on the docks one night and eavesdropped on a couple of old farts talking to each other, their accents were awesome, ayuh. "this place sure has changed" "ayuh" 
     Acadia was really nice, not super crowded, great views, if we spent more time there we might have found some gems.  
     I don't remember much about the drive home, New Jersey was very pretty the campground campers were pretty rude lol, at some point we saw Plymouth Rock, the actual rock and walked around on a replica Mayflower or equivalent very cool, smaller than you think, (both rock and ship).  I had several bowls of Clam Chowda at different renowned establishments, Had a epic fight with swmbo trying to find a walk in beach at Cape Cod, I don't remember who was right but I do remember it was not the GPS and I backed the camper van out of a diminishing road about 1/2 mile.
     All in all it is a great road trip you will have a blast.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im not much of a tourist, usually looking into water for fish in the middle of no where.  nh hampshire might start lake winnepausaki with a cruise on one of the mt washington boats(brunch cruise, coctail cruise, dinner cruise) or with the drive thru franconia notch, very scenic. north conway  theirs the cog railway, needs to be booked ahead for the coal fired locomotive. the biodiesel makes no sense for the ride up mt washington. theres a smaller mountain on the east side of the kangamangcus hwy, mt chocorua, 2.5 to 3 hour climb up, fairly easy climb, rock top, great views. google where to pick up parking permits for that highway, lots of view pullovers. biggest seafood feed you will find is just over the border into maine, bay haven in cornish. its where the locals feed, not touristy. rangeley area to the north has a bunch of great walking trails but ive only boated the area, i think theres a big tour boat up there as well but not like the ones on winni. the arcadia national park/ bar harbor area is the probably one of the better stops. heading south theres freeport and llbean. the bars in the old district of portland, portland is a step back in time. ogunquit has one of the nicest beaches on the east coast and some great restaurants. kennybunkport has my favorite clam shack....the clam shack.

johnincarolina might be a better guide for this.......if theres water around i dont pay much attention
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Definitely Mt Washington and the White Mountains.  You'll likely won't have time to detour north in ME to Moosehead lake or the Baxter State Park/Mt. Khatadin areas.  If you do decide to head to Acadia, make sure to check entry options/requirements.  I know that at least the road to the top of Cadillac Mountain requires a permit (and I think will be occassionally closed this spring/summer for repaving).  I really like the Schoodic Peninsula (also part of Acadia NP, but on the mainland, so you miss MDI traffic).  If you choose to avoid the national park, I'd definitely recommend West Quoddy Head light (the easternmost spot in the US), and Campobello Island (FDR summer residnece) across the border into New Brunswick.

Driving back down the Maine coast will be great.  The Camden/Rockport/Rockland area is one of my favorite spots, lots of great spots to eat and pick up ME souvenirs.  The view from Mt. Battie (in Camden Hills state park) over Camden Harbor is beautiful.  Red's Eats in Wiscasset will top lots of lists of best lobster rolls, and it is good, but probably not worth standing in line for 60+ minutes.  The LL Bean flagship store in Freeport is worth a visit, as is the Freeport McDonald's.

Portland is one of my favorite small cities in the US; the Old Port has lots of shopping, Allagash brewery has a great tour, and there are tons of bars/restaurants.  Some of my favorite spots to eat include Duckfat, Fore Street, Central Provisions, and Eventide Oyster Co.  I've heard good things from friends in the area about Drifter's Wife and Chaval too; bust I've never personally been to either.  Ft. Williams State Park in Cape Elizabeth is great, and has Portland Head Light; construction started in the late 1780s with $750 from the Massachusetts General Assembly (ME was part of MA until 1820).

Boston is a great city; I firmly believe everyone should walk the Freedom Trail at least once; so much history there.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments. We are not renting, but driving our personal car. I looked at the places you all mention and I think that so far this is what we are thinking of doing. This is the drive to Maine. Haven't decided about return route yet, depends on how long we stay up in Maine

New York   

Niagara Falls    Maid of the Mist   

Vermont  Burlington -stay the night - currently researching

New Hampshire

Franconia Notch state park

Mount Washington Rail Cog  thinking steam engine but undecided just yet

Maine

Cornish, ME   Bay Haven Lobster Pound 

Portland Maine: Gilbert's Chowder House.

Allagash brewery 

Freeport, Maine: 

LL Bean Flagship

Maine Beer Company 

Belfast, Camden, Rockport, Rockland -researching

Searsport, Maine:   Youngs Lobster Pound. 

Acadia National Park

Ogunquit - on way back

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    This is why I so value this place. Question asked and lots of great input.

As a Canuck, I feel it my duty to encourage you to venture into international travel status while up in Niagara Falls. 
  • lousubcap
    edited March 2023
    Options
    As a Yank I endorse the crossing to the GWN side of the falls.  Totally different perspective. (Bring your passports). 

Edit: Upon further review- since you are considering Burlington, VT here is a great place to explore when driving from Niagara Falls to northern VT:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options

As a Canuck, I feel it my duty to encourage you to venture into international travel status while up in Niagara Falls. 
    Will my Real ID work at the border? Never been to Canada
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @lousubcap
    that looks really nice! I'm thinking it might need a separate trip to really enjoy it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

A passport will be your ticket. You could always hit up Toronto - our biggest city. Was about 6M residents in the greater area as of 2016. No shortage of things to do. But lots of things in the Niagara region as well. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Not anymore, you’ll need a passport.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnfromKentucky -Just take a left turn off I-90 (NYS Thruway) as you are headed east at the intersection with I-81 (around Syracuse) and head north.  (Tolls on 90; free ride on 81) then route US 11 to VT. 
    I get the time constraints.  I would not make it a free-range ride.
    Perhaps @paqman may have some insights.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    GrateEggspectations said:
    You could always hit up Toronto - our biggest city. Was about 6M residents in the greater area as of 2016. No shortage of things to do. 
    I spent a week in Toronto for a GIDEP conference, absolutely loved the city.  So many things to do, and such a cosmopolitan city.  Make sure to ride up into the (iirc) CT Tower; looks like the Seattle Space Needle but is, to the foot, exactly three times  taller!  From the top, I could see I wouldn't be happy living there, huge lake to the south and NorthDakotaLike flatlands to the other directions, no geography whatsoever.  It's all about the City.

And, funny thing.  My travel partner was a UT-raised mormon who'd never been outside the state (other than his mission, don't know where/if he went).  He confided in me, a year later, that Toronto had absolutely terrified  him; he always felt we were being followed every time we went downtown or to the restaurant/visitor areas.  I felt the complete opposite; would've loved to take him to Ankara Turkiye, or some other spots.   =)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That’s a large area to cover in just 10 days.  1000 islands is beautiful (take a boat tour).

Options
    Botch said:
    You could always hit up Toronto - our biggest city. Was about 6M residents in the greater area as of 2016. No shortage of things to do. 
    I spent a week in Toronto for a GIDEP conference, absolutely loved the city.  So many things to do, and such a cosmopolitan city.  Make sure to ride up into the (iirc) CT Tower; looks like the Seattle Space Needle but is, to the foot, exactly three times  taller!  From the top, I could see I wouldn't be happy living there, huge lake to the south and NorthDakotaLike flatlands to the other directions, no geography whatsoever.  It's all about the City.

And, funny thing.  My travel partner was a UT-raised mormon who'd never been outside the state (other than his mission, don't know where/if he went).  He confided in me, a year later, that Toronto had absolutely terrified  him; he always felt we were being followed every time we went downtown or to the restaurant/visitor areas.  I felt the complete opposite; would've loved to take him to Ankara Turkiye, or some other spots.   =)  
    CN Tower. Interesting tourist perspectives, fwiw I live in the flatlands to the north  :)
    canuckland
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    A passport will be your ticket. 
    Will have to get it renewed if we plan on crossing the border. 

Honestly, I doubt we'll go into Canada. That is going to probably be a separate trip.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options

@lousubcap
     That's the whole point of the trip...to travel with some ideas but mainly to see the area.

@Botch
    Interesting that you mention Turkey. I was stationed at Cakmakli for a year (it's just outside of Istanbul)

I have been to cities, but I prefer the countryside
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @paqman
    a buddy and his wife did this trip in 6 days
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @paqman
    I guess that it depends how long and how many stops you do.  A day at the beach, some shopping, etc

Options
    Thanks all for the comments. We are not renting, but driving our personal car. I looked at the places you all mention and I think that so far this is what we are thinking of doing. This is the drive to Maine. Haven't decided about return route yet, depends on how long we stay up in Maine

New York   

Niagara Falls    Maid of the Mist   

Vermont  Burlington -stay the night - currently researching

New Hampshire

Franconia Notch state park

Mount Washington Rail Cog  thinking steam engine but undecided just yet

Maine

Cornish, ME   Bay Haven Lobster Pound 

Portland Maine: Gilbert's Chowder House.

Allagash brewery 

Freeport, Maine: 

LL Bean Flagship

Maine Beer Company 

Belfast, Camden, Rockport, Rockland -researching

Searsport, Maine:   Youngs Lobster Pound. 

Acadia National Park

Ogunquit - on way back

I don’t know if you’re planning on seeing The Flume while near Franconia Notch, but I’d definitely recommend that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @paqman
    Most of the stops are within an an hour two three once you are in Burlington. The states are small, the locals fit each local, the view is continually changing
    fukahwee maine

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Botch said:
    I felt the complete opposite; would've loved to take him to Ankara Turkiye, or some other spots.   =)  
    Rather than Ankara how about Istanbul.   Wonderful city where Europe meets Asia.    Enjoyed my visit there a while back, visited the Blue Mosque, saw Whirling Dervishes, etc.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    I don’t know if you’re planning on seeing The Flume while near Franconia Notch, but I’d definitely recommend that.  
    I googled that and I'm not sure if it's open during the summer.

https://www.cannonmt.com/things-to-do/attractions/flume
    Says The Flume Gorge is now closed for the summer season.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/flume-gorge
    says The Flume Gorge Trail is accessible for winter use.
    The Gorge is closed to hikers, the boardwalks have been removed.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options

That’s too bad, must be recent.  We visited it in June about five years ago.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options

that first link was for 2022, not sure about the second link. its usually opens in may after mud season
    fukahwee maine