Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Santa Fe Smoked Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing

greeneggazy
greeneggazy Posts: 13
edited November 2020 in Poultry

Ingredients:

1 12-18 pound turkey
1 basket Fogo Super Premium Charcoal
3 chunks apple wood
2 chunks alder wood

Brine
2 cups kosher salt
2 gal water

Rub and Baste
1 stick unsalted butter
2 tablespoons red chili powder
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 juiced lime

Cornbread Stuffing
15 oz box Krusteaz Honey Cornbread mix
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 red pepper
1/2 orange pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
3 cloves garlic
1/2 juiced lime
1 package turkey neck/gizzards/liver and 1/2 cup broth from boiling

Green Chili Gravy
3 tablespoons Gold Medal Wondra Flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup Hatch Roasted Green Chili Sauce
1/4 milk
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 juiced lime

Directions:

Turkey Preparation
1 Mix brine by boiling salt in 2 quarts water until dissolved. Place turkey in to a large food safe container. Add 1.5 gallons cold water, followed by the salt water. Refrigerate between 24 hours and 36 hours.
2 Four hours prior to smoking the turkey drain and rinse turkey under cold water to remove excess salt. Pat dry with paper towels and allow to rest while preparing injection mix.
3 Mix injection ingredients over low heat thoroughly to insure that no clumps exist. Allow to cool before injecting.
4 Inject the turkey - Draw the injection mixture into a meat syringe and inject it into the turkey. Inject about 1 teaspoon per site into several places on each breast, wings, thighs, and drumsticks.
5 Stuff cavity of turkey with cornbread stuffing.
6 Refrigerate until ready to cook.
7 Boil turkey neck and gizzards covered with water for 3 hours or until meat on neck pulls away easily. Add turkey liver to neck and gizzards during the last 20 minutes. Separate broth and meat and reserve for stuffing.

Smoking Turkey
1 Fill BigGgreenEgg with enough Fogo charcoal to last 6-8 hours.
2 Mix wood chunks in to coal to evenly distribute. Do not place all on top of coal.
3 Ignite coal and use plate setter and grill grate for indirect cook. Target temperature at grate level at 230° F. Optionally use water pan if smoking at 250°+ F. Set temperature control unit. Allow enough time to reach temperature and smoke to change from thick white/gray to blue/clear.
4 Put turkey on grill grate and insert meat temperature probe in to thickest part of breast.
5 Baste turkey every hour for the first 3 hours. Rotate turkey if legs or breast is cooking to fast.
6 Foil legs and wings an hour after the last baste of sooner to prevent from drying out.
7 Pull turkey at internal meat temperature of 165°F. Tent with foil for 15-30 minutes. Temperature will rise almost 15°.  Separate neck/gizzards/lever from broth. 

Cornbread Stuffing
1 Mix cornbread package ingredients according to package directions. Reserve 1 tablespoon butter or oil to saute vegetables.
2 Bake 10 minutes longer than package instruction, cool at room temp.
3 Cube backed cornbread in to 1/2 inch pieces. Allow to dry overnight.
4 Dice peppers in to 1/4 inch pieces.
5 Finely dice garlic cloves.
6 Saute vegetables over high heat, mixing well, until peppers are well coated in oil and bright colored. Add to cubed cubed cornbread in large bowl.
7 Pull turkey from neck bone, being careful that no bone fragments remain. Dice with gizzards and liver in to 1/4 inch or smaller pieces. Add to bowl.
8 Juice 1/2 lime in to bowl and mix well. Reserve lime peel.
9 Loosely stuff turkey cavity with cornbread stuffing. Do not pack. Add the lime peel to stuffed turkey.
10 Pour 1/2 cup broth in to remaining stuffing and place in to a appropriate sized baking dish and cover. Again do not pack.
11 Bake at 350°F for 1.5 to 2 hours. For a dark stuffing crust, bake uncovered last 20-30 minutes uncovered.

Green Chili Gravy
1 Mix 3 tablespoons Wondra flour with 1 cup cold water in sauce pan over medium high heat.
2 Continue to stir as mix begins to boil and add 1/2 cup chili sauce.
3 Boil for 1 minute until gravy begins to thicken.
4 Optionally add milk to thin to desired consistency and creamy finish.
5 Optionally add honey and or lime juice to reduce the heat of the green chili.

Notes:

View my post on Instagram

Inspiration and some of the chili ingredients were from The Shed in Santa Fe, NM. If you like heat and are in the area then it is worth your effort to stop in for lunch or dinner.

Cooking Times (source - The Online Grill)
Aim for 30 minutes per pound of meat, at 225°F. Your turkey will be ready when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165°F.

Always aim for internal temperature, not time.

Estimated cook times
235° - 30 to 35 minutes per pound
250° - 25 to 30 minutes per pound
275° - 20 to 25 minutes per pound

Comments

• greeneggazy
    greeneggazy Posts: 13
    edited November 2020
    This is my first recipe post where I have included all the information I could document as I planned and cooked our Thanksgiving meal. My wife really enjoyed the flavor and appreciated that I dialed down the heat of the green chili gravy. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Sounds good. Some pictures would be great to add to the post. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Definitely sounds awesome.  Sounds like it could be modified to add to a lot of stuff through the year - like chicken or pork tenderloin.  Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Am i the only one wishing for pictures?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sounds good. Some pictures would be great to add to the post. 
    Mickey said:
    Am i the only one wishing for pictures?
    They’re in the Instagram link he posted.  For those of you who don’t have Instagram, here are a couple of screen shots from the link:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That does look good! Nice color on the bird.

And thanks for the detailed recipe/instructions. Very helpful. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thank you @JohnInCarolina for posting the pictures for me. And I apologise to the group for not doing that myself.

I'm a terrible photographer due to my eyesight and since I did most of the cooking didn't take many pictures. My wife did some of the baking, so was busy also, but did take this nice shot. 

This was my first southwestern holiday meal with turkey and will do it again. Last winter I made my best smoked chuck wagon chili with similar ingredients. Didn't write out the recipe, and now cannot remember it to save my life. I appreciate the professional eggheads more now that I realize how much work goes in to all the details.
  • @greeneggazy - no problem!  Your turkey looks great and that recipe sounds incredible.

I’ve been to The Shed too - that is one of my favorites in Santa Fe.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gita give this a try. Love dressing of all sorts. Thank you