Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kenji Lopez-Alt - dead to me.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Whatareya, an anti-pea-ite?  Good thing you didn’t grow up in the UK…. 🤪

I am.

And when I was in the UK they kept trying to give me those nasty mushy peas and I had no part of it.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I used a glass stovetop one time and I cracked the stupid thing. $300 later and a 4 hour roundtrip to my buddies parents cabin to fix it. No thanks.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    WeberWho said:
    I used a glass stovetop one time and I cracked the stupid thing. $300 later and a 4 hour roundtrip to my buddies parents cabin to fix it. No thanks.

I vaguely remember that story, but don't recall how you broke it?  Wasn't it a hot pan on a cold surface or cold on hot?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:

I vaguely remember that story, but don't recall how you broke it?  Wasn't it a hot pan on a cold surface or cold on hot?
    Yeah, it was a cold pot of smoked chili. It somehow bonded itself onto the stove top and cracked it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Corv said:
    I heard you cannot even boil water on an induction oven.
    A friend of mine has one that came with the house he bought. Before I bought my BlueStar range, he tried hard to talk me into getting an induction stove. According to him, it boils water very very fast. For me, the deciding factor was that they all have a smooth glass top. It happens that I hate glass tops. Right now I'm very happy with the gas BlueStar stove... and neither his liking for the induction range or mine for my gas one are politically based.
    Neither is my strong dislike for glass top stoves.

Doesn't have to be glass. Glass is common probably due to cost but it's not required.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:
    @RRP Do you know who Kenji Lopez? If you don't you should look him up. He's got some really good thorough and scientific breakdowns of recipes. 
    Here's a good beef stew recipe from him that Ron might appreciate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdlVi-VzPY
    John and @texaswig - I never said I didn't know who Kenji Lopez was! I said: 
     I have no clue what you guys are referring to
    Kenji had released a chili con carne video.  After he said his ending spiel, he came back and said he put beans in his chili.

Also, all the names were plays on Kenji's name, except Susan.  That one went whoosh right by me.
    I just try to keep in mind that @saluki2007 doesn't tell jokes that are funny, and that helps.  
    Can’t all be home runs. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:
    @RRP Do you know who Kenji Lopez? If you don't you should look him up. He's got some really good thorough and scientific breakdowns of recipes. 

Kenji had released a chili con carne video.  After he said his ending spiel, he came back and said he put beans in his chili.

Also, all the names were plays on Kenji's name, except Susan.  That one went whoosh right by me.
    I just try to keep in mind that @saluki2007 doesn't tell jokes that are funny, and that helps.  
    Can’t all be home runs. 
    I went and looked for all UTubers and chefs named Susan, plus Kenji's family.  This joke has been bugging me for almost a day now.  I would love an explanation.

For the record, @JIC is being cranky.  I enjoy your posts and jokes.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP said:
    texaswig said:

Can’t all be home runs. 
    Man I'd settle for a bunt here and there!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:

Can’t all be home runs. 
    I went and looked for all UTubers and chefs named Susan, plus Kenji's family.  This joke has been bugging me for almost a day now.  I would love an explanation.

For the record, @JIC is being cranky.  I enjoy your posts and jokes.
    Sorry you wasted so much time. There really isn’t a joke here. I was just being an azz. You guys were playing games based on the name and I just went with a basic white girl name. (An editable may have been a factor in my logic). 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:

Can’t all be home runs. 
    That’s not how they do it in the league now. Home runs or strike outs. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    buzd504 said:

I am.

And when I was in the UK they kept trying to give me those nasty mushy peas and I had no part of it.
    Mushy peas.  The UK is dead to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP said:
    texaswig said:

Can’t all be home runs. 
    Well maybe back off the gummies next time.  
  • Mushy peas might be the reason my ancestors got the heck off that island.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:

Can’t all be home runs. 
    Bring back small ball.
  • fishlessman
    Kenji-lopez-rhonda.........his hooker.  Who is susan
    fukahwee maine

• Mushy peas might be the reason my ancestors got the heck off that island.
    Speaking of mushy peas, where has @Eoin been?
  • fishlessman
    Mushy peas might be the reason my ancestors got the heck off that island.
    Wasn't there a king centuries ago that died eating mushy peas
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Mushy peas might be the reason my ancestors got the heck off that island.
    Wasn't there a king centuries ago that died eating mushy peas
    I think it was after a princess slept on them.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    danhoo said:
    I cook gas induction chile with extra beans. 

Or is that gas inducing chili? 

Publick skool taut me well. 

@AlmaHolzhert would agree
    Is she Susan's sister ?
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2023
    If they had an induction cook-top that resembled a steel French top I'd be all over it, but I don't know if that's possible. For you Engineers out there - Is the glass top necessary for the induction technology to work?  For me, the glass is a deal breaker. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    A metal top would be a shield, essentially encapsulating the induction coils in a Faraday cage.  It would not work.  Based on my knowledge at least, I have been known to be wrong before.   Maybe transparent aluminum?
    edited February 2023
    A metal top would be a shield, essentially encapsulating the induction coils in a Faraday cage.  It would not work.  Based on my knowledge at least, I have been known to be wrong before.   Maybe transparent aluminum?
    Like they top some laminate flooring with?

They should go wall to wall coils, put nine in where they would normally have four or five.  Let me move pans around like on a flattop.  Have a hot region and a warm region (but also let me just turn one on if I want).

edited for really bad typing 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Induction cooktop turns your pan into the "burner".  I wonder if you could make a metal top that gets hot and then that warms your pans?  The french cooktop would essentially be a heating element heated via induction?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Yeah.  I thought induction heating used magnetic waves to excite the metal in the pan, that's why pans of non-magnetic materials won't heat/can't be used.  
    Does a Faraday cage block magnetic waves?  Maybe only if the cage is built of magnetic materials?  :confused:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    Induction cooktop turns your pan into the "burner".  I wonder if you could make a metal top that gets hot and then that warms your pans?  The french cooktop would essentially be a heating element heated via induction?
    That’s been done by putting a plate over the induction coils to use non conductive pots, but it negates some of the efficiency you get directly heating the pan or pot.  

A little research on magnetic fields and faraday cages tells me you can get eddy current in the metal which can block or attenuate the coupling of alternating magnetic fields.  Varies based on the frequency and material.  Since glass is effectively invisible to the magnetic field, no one uses metal between the induction coils and the pots.  And you can make glass look like granite, metal, whatever so there’s really no point.

They provide less attenuation of outgoing transmissions than incoming: they can block electromagnetic pulse (EMP) waves from natural phenomena very effectively, but a tracking device, especially in upper frequencies, may be able to penetrate from within the cage (e.g., some cell phones operate at various radio ...
    DeSantis is doing his bit to win the "You can pry my gas stove from my cold dead fingers" crowd - https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3841563-desantis-keeps-heat-on-gas-stoves-issue-proposing-tax-exemption/

Funnily enough, from the article:

"In Florida, gas stoves are not particularly prevalent. Just 8 percent of households use natural gas cooking appliances, while 92 percent use electric, according to a federal survey."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Maybe bring back the coal oven?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Maybe bring back the coal oven?
    Can you boil water on those?
    Had a friend with had sweet woodfired stoves in his ranch houses.  They were amazing.  Get them glowing red and even on icey nights they would cook you right out of the cabin.  I guarantee you could boil water.  Could instantly sear flesh to the sides too.