Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar Or Other Sweetener In Chili?

Mrs.Cooper sent this article to me, planning to add some sugar next time we make a pot.  Wondering if others here add some sweetness to their chili?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    Yup, always a little brown sugar. I do the same with pasta sauces.
    Add it in earlier than later. I find if tossed in at the end, you can single out the brown sugar taste vs. if it cooks in there for a while.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited January 2023
    I added 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar to chilli exactly one time.  My wife asked me what yankee chilli I had made.  3 lbs beef, equal amount of beans,corn and tomatoes along with cups of chilli powder.  Tossed the batch out.  She said she wanted dinner, not a dessert.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I typically balance the acidity of tomato heavy sauces with a little sugar. Chili, marinara, etc. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I added 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar to chilli exactly one time.  My wife asked me what yankee chilli I had made.  3 lbs beef, equal amount of beans,corn and tomatoes along with cups of chilli powder.  Tossed the batch out.  She said she wanted dinner, not a dessert.

That's a 12 pound chili !
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    buzd504 said:

That's a 12 pound chili !
    Sorry, 3lbs of beans, tomatoes and corn total.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    So she's against sugar because damn Yankees, but beans and corn ok?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited January 2023
    For me, the only thing sweet that should go into chili is chocolate, preferably Mexican 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Might I recommend a tablespoon (or two) of honey. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    You have not made my chili. It's too hot for you. Your ingredients are strange . My Yankee chili involse tossing onions over my shoulder for luck
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Never liked sweet.  I don't put sugar in spaghetti/tomato sauces, and avoid Thai dishes that include sugar; I'm also the only guy here who doesn't like peach preserves on pork.  Just not for me.  
    I love fruit, however; just not with my savory stuff.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
     A tsp or so of sugar balances out flavors of spices in Indian dishes I make, and balances the acidity of tomato sauces, as mentioned above.

I usually add the sugar when browning stuff in the beginning, or when making the sofrito, so it caramelizes a bit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    I never add sugar to tomatoes or chili. I will add a little unsweetened chocolate to chili just before serving.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    if you are going to add sugar to chili, you might as well go crazy and add beans and tomatoes as well......maybe ground turkey instead of beef, some sweet potatoes, green beans.......  =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Botch 
     I'm also the only guy here who doesn't like peach preserves on pork. 
    Nope, you’re not the only one. I’m right there with you.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .