Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oakridge - Homage Rubs

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
edited December 2022 in EggHead Forum
With the impending demise of Oakridge, had anyone attempted to simulate their rubs?

For pork, I almost exclusively use their Dominator Sweet Rib rub.  Since I have always had access to their rubs, I never bothered to learn how to make a good rub.  I wanted to start a thread to discuss how to make a good rub and maybe how to make some Oakridge Homage Rubs.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    My basic starting point , and is all I "usually use" SPG and M ( M) volume not weight 1 Part Coarse Pepper .25 Part Coarse salt .25 part seasoned salt .125 part Gran Garlic .0625 part MSG

a bit of a salt guideline 1.25 % for boneless protein 1.5 % bone in 

I'll add in Mustard powder at times, cumin , smoked parpika etc ......for the most part,let the protein and wood do the talking 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    How are you figuring salt as % when your rub is by volume?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Legume said:
    I just tossed that in there a rule of thumb for those that salt first or afraid of over salting ....If I am only doing a small amount I apply salt only first .....I guess I made that confusing LoL To make it worse 1% weight of veggies 2% pasta or blanching water 2.5 % flour dough or batters ( salt fat acid heat ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Great idea!

I prefer to omit the salt from my rub.  It allows me to pre-salt if I want, or just salt at rub-time.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Well, he did it.  Closed down shop.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    I just tossed that in there a rule of thumb for those that salt first or afraid of over salting ....If I am only doing a small amount I apply salt only first .....I guess I made that confusing LoL To make it worse 1% weight of veggies 2% pasta or blanching water 2.5 % flour dough or batters ( salt fat acid heat ) 
    The meds for over salting are cheaper than salt...well pretty damn close
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, he did it.  Closed down shop.

I hear Mike Lindell is hiring. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    The meds for over salting are cheaper than salt...well pretty damn close
    True, but they make the rub clump.