Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Was hoping DESR stood for double edge straight razor. Would get that scary bastard 
    Lol. I tried using a straight razor for a time in university. Don’t think I’ll go back to that. 
    My first shave I cut myself pretty good, Oct, 2003. Cut free since. Was an Octoberfest event in Maine that day, met a lot of women that day. The St Pauli girls kept giving me free beers. Haven't bought a blade since. My beard hair is thick and jams razors, with the straight it's actually noisy to shave. Hear each one pop.. mine are from the 1930s, easy to resharpen once a year if needed
    I think my issue was that I had bought a relatively cheap piece on Ebay. 

Show us your wares!

Were I shaving my face only, I’d gladly revisit a straight razor. Given I also do my head, I am less eager. 
    Cheap straight is no good. The thrties razor is new/old stock with a buffalo handle German Wacker. At camp is a fifties hoffritz razor
    Real men use hand chipped obsidian with the froth from a rabid raccoon as lather.
    My viking ax is sharp enough, would it work with that. Where to buy the obsidian, racoon froth is an easy find.  I'll stick with Mitchell's wool fat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Dam you @GrateEggspectations

I didn’t know I needed a new razor. I’ve always used the disposables and have bitched about them for years. Just ordered the 6S all in one kit.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    shtgunal3 said:

I didn’t know I needed a new razor. I’ve always used the disposables and have bitched about them for years. Just ordered the 6S all in one kit.
    These don’t clog as much and are easier to rinse out than the multi blade disposables
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Was hoping DESR stood for double edge straight razor. Would get that scary bastard 
    Lol. I tried using a straight razor for a time in university. Don’t think I’ll go back to that. 
    My first shave I cut myself pretty good, Oct, 2003. Cut free since. Was an Octoberfest event in Maine that day, met a lot of women that day. The St Pauli girls kept giving me free beers. Haven't bought a blade since. My beard hair is thick and jams razors, with the straight it's actually noisy to shave. Hear each one pop.. mine are from the 1930s, easy to resharpen once a year if needed

Show us your wares!

Were I shaving my face only, I’d gladly revisit a straight razor. Given I also do my head, I am less eager. 
    Cheap straight is no good. The thrties razor is new/old stock with a buffalo handle German Wacker. At camp is a fifties hoffritz razor
    Real men use hand chipped obsidian with the froth from a rabid raccoon as lather.

Real men don't shave.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• shtgunal3 said:

I half-feel guilty but am also laughing. Only your review can ultimately conclude whether my guilt is deserved. For me, the absolute sweet spot is on setting 3. I shave daily against grain with no issues. 

I should mention that you’ll find that different brands of blades change the experience considerably. Kinda like making espresso - the grinder is as important if not more so than the espresso machine. You’ll want to test some blades out to see what works for you. Personally, I found the Rockwells harsh for my skin. As mentioned, the Astra Platinums have been working magic for me. You’ll save cash if you buy blades in quantity. I buy 300 at a time - at $40CAD ($0.13 a blade), still downright cheap compared to cartridges. 
  • Legume
    Some of the Astras are made in Russia…
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120

Show us your wares!

I have sensitive skin, I have to use the froth from a rabid beaver!  Sometimes, finding a rabid one is half the fun!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    ColbyLang said:
    ATN now has a store in Houston—danger Will Robinson.   
    It’s only a gateway night vision optic…..
    I think I'm going to go with the X Sight LTV 5-15.   It doesn't have the run time as yours but I'll never hunt for over 10 hours anyway.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Until the zombies come....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    Langner91 said:
    Until the zombies come....
    that's when I stop hunting and start drinking...
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    I usually leave the shaving posts to @sgh, but just wanted to say that I just bought two more Rockwell 6S razors - a standalone razor to serve amy own backup should I ever lose my current one, and a complete razor and accessory gift set to give my son once he is of shaving age (which won’t be for at least about a decade and a half).

The 6S is really an amazing DESR. I have no affiliation with the company, but have been extremely happy in using the 6S the last several years 

Sales on lots of their products until the end of day today. https://getrockwell.com/
    Went and looked at these online a while back, but then thought the blades might not 'fly' with TSA. We like to use just carry-ons and a personal bag. Have you run into this issue?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Kayak said:
    I usually leave the shaving posts to @sgh, but just wanted to say that I just bought two more Rockwell 6S razors - a standalone razor to serve amy own backup should I ever lose my current one, and a complete razor and accessory gift set to give my son once he is of shaving age (which won’t be for at least about a decade and a half).

The 6S is really an amazing DESR. I have no affiliation with the company, but have been extremely happy in using the 6S the last several years 

Sales on lots of their products until the end of day today. https://getrockwell.com/
    Went and looked at these online a while back, but then thought the blades might not 'fly' with TSA. We like to use just carry-ons and a personal bag. Have you run into this issue?
    Oh, you’re one of those couples that is allowed to bring on two huge backpacks and a small suitcase and a purse the size of New Jersey? I see. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 😜

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,249
    edited December 2022
    Kayak said:

Only ever checked it. I would strongly suspect TSA would have an issue with them. 

Not at all on topic, but my carry on is usually a collapsible carbon fiber guitar that meets TSA requirements. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Here is what I found regarding carry-on razors from TSA-

"Safety razors" are not disposable

One type of razor that's sometimes the subject of misunderstanding is the old-school "safety razor," which still has its fans even in the modern age of high-tech, multi-blade shavers. This is the type that takes thin, flat, rectangular blades, which may be removed and disposed of once they get dull. To be clear, this doesn't make it a "disposable" razor. The blades are a potentially lethal weapon as-is, and they can't be brought in your carry-on. If you stow the blades in your checked luggage, the empty handle can travel in the carry-on with you."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    SamIAm2 said:

It is going back to the dealer in a week to replace the cloth tonneau cover that will not last in the Florida sun. Ordered the hard plastic trifold but dealer put this on.  Successfully cancelled Sirius and the emails to restart it have already begun. 
    You don't look that old in the fender  ;)
    You guys' Sirius game reminds me of my annual ISP renewal song and dance, it's harder when you need a physical service address   =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Kayak said:

Only ever checked it. I would strongly suspect TSA would have an issue with them. 

Not at all on topic, but my carry on is usually a collapsible carbon fiber guitar that meets TSA requirements. 

THOSE STRINGS CAN BE USED AS A WEAPON.   thats what i was told about my fly fishing reel one time, i hate checking in fishing equipment, it never arrives where it should
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited December 2022
    Kayak said:

THOSE STRINGS CAN BE USED AS A WEAPON.   thats what i was told about my fly fishing reel one time, i hate checking in fishing equipment, it never arrives where it should
    "Mr. TSA man, I plan to use the roll of plastic wrap, my tooth brush, and this lighter to fashion a shiv.  Why would I try to use my good guitar strings?"
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    Kayak said:

"Mr. TSA man, I plan to use the roll of plastic wrap, my tooth brush, and this lighter to fashion a shiv.  Why would I try to use my good guitar strings?"

they wanted to take these tiny fishing flies away from me once cause hooks are sharp
    the dime is for proportions

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited December 2022
    Kayak said:

they wanted to take these tiny fishing flies away from me once cause hooks are sharp
    the dime is for proportions

Lol!  Killed by 1,000 paper cuts.  I would have told him they were your earrings.  If you can't take them, he better start taking all the earrings.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Bad form to hijack a plane with barbed hooks, everyone’s going barbless now.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TechsasJim
    @SonVolt
    Yes sir, well done!   I have a Sig Bravo 5 for one of my ARs and absolutely love it.

The Streamlight is a peach too!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    @SonVolt, I can’t say enough good things about the Romeo 5. Have mine on an Sig MPX 9mm with a 4” barrel and a DeadAir Ghost. Technically a pistol, but with a brace. It zeroed at 50 yards with no issues
  • Kayak said:

You’re entirely right. They’d make fantastic garrottes. You could even choose the gauge of string that was most to your liking. And don’t get me started on how easily the end of strings can pierce skin. Ask me how I know. 
  • SamIAm2 said:
    This 2022 GMC Canyon Crew Cab just before Thanksgiving. 

Made the trip over to Tampa for Thanksgiving to spend time with  with Niece, Great Niece, and Great Great Niece. I'm that old.

Still getting used to all the bells and whistles and where the shifter is located. 

It is going back to the dealer in a week to replace the cloth tonneau cover that will not last in the Florida sun. Ordered the hard plastic trifold but dealer put this on.  Successfully cancelled Sirius and the emails to restart it have already begun. 
    FYI...Sirius has free listening going on until Dec 5th...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416

Love the dealer SWAG when buying gun parts
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    SamIAm2 said:

Successfully cancelled Sirius and the emails to restart it have already begun. 
    FYI...Sirius has free listening going on until Dec 5th...
    @bradleya123 - Have absolutely zero interest in playing the Sirius subscription game. Blocked their e-mail and listen to my own music while in the vehicle.
    I would almost rather listen to AM radio with all the static and advertising than be involved with Sirius.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.