Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Rotisserie

Options

Comments

• cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have been thinking seriously about buying one of these but I want to know that both the BGE and the KJ versions are waterproof before I do so.  Does anyone know if they are waterproof or just water-resistant?
    Probably a little water resistant, but I wouldn’t leave the motor out in the rain. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    gallon ziplock over the motor and a rubber band.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Options
    Grader07 said:
    Just ordered my BGE large rotisserie.  Will ship out tomorrow.  Got it from the Ceramic Grill Store…. Always seem to have what I need at the right time at that store and all around really friendly people there!!!
    thanks for the biz, always appreciated. T
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Has anyone tried rotating the fire around the meat instead?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I tried it, but heat rises. If I would have remembered it would have saved me a lot of hassle.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Has anyone tried rotating the fire around the meat instead?
    My tanning booth works like that.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I tried it, but heat rises. If I would have remembered it would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Yeah, but radiant heat is also a thing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Bought a Napoleon Prestige Pro with the rear IR burner mainly to do rotisserie chicken and prime rib roasts.  After 1 year, I can say it cooks both to perfection.  The rear IR burner makes the skin crisp on a chicken in a 60 minute cook, and nice bark on a prime rib in 1.5 hours. And all the grease falls into a drip tray.  No flare ups or acrid smoke taste.  Family and friends love the flavor. 

I still like butts & briskets on the egg, but the gasser is hard to beat for the above 2 cooks by far. If I could only own a BGE, than the rotisserie option might be worth it. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    One quirk is the power switch placement. It's located on the back of the motor. Maybe they could only get left hand units. This would be my first change on second generation, switch in front.

I cooked directly over the coals and it was the juiciest chicken to ever come off my egg.
    Taste was fantastic, seasoned with Dizzy Pig wonder bird. 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Seems pretty good to me. I’m gonna plan on picanha  and some Al pastor action next. There’s a little flop going on, but I’ll do a better job securing them next time. It doesn’t really appear to be an issue. Just the legs flopping a bit. Still clears the coal bed  

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have three picanha steaks and a pork butt in the freezer.  You have given me inspiration, @pgprescott!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I have three picanha steaks and a pork butt in the freezer.  You have given me inspiration, @pgprescott

Not sure what’s available over there in the land of the free but the grocery market on the west end off Ave G has every ingredient you can imagine including achiote paste and tons
    of dried chilies. It great. Also has a small butcher counter tons of people use for their flat top taco cooks. It’s a hidden gem. Probably a few of those over there too. 
  • Langner91
    Options
    I know the place well!  I see they have Sunday hours.  I am headed to RF to have lunch with my girls tomorrow, so I will swing in at that time.

Thanks for that idea!  I am sure there is a market over here, but I have always liked that one on the West end.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Seems pretty good to me. I’m gonna plan on picanha  and some Al pastor action next. There’s a little flop going on, but I’ll do a better job securing them next time. It doesn’t really appear to be an issue. Just the legs flopping a bit. Still clears the coal bed  

All the Weber's and PBC's are lining up at the window to watch the cook.  I don't blame them, it looks good.
  • pgprescott
    Options

All the Weber's and PBC's are lining up at the window to watch the cook.  I don't blame them, it looks good.
    🤣
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @pgprescott nice looking chicken! Did you have coals only on one side or all across fire bowl? I've been inspired by this thread to dust off the LetzQ and give it another spin.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott nice looking chicken! Did you have coals only on one side or all across fire bowl?
    Pretty much filled it up but I lit them with two fire starter squares in the back right and back left respectively. By the end, the fire had migrated close to the center. I had no issues rolling @ 375 the whole cook. Thought about using the genius, but it settled right in there before I launched the birds so I just rolled with it. 
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options

cmac610:  Two questions - 1. How difficult is it to clean the basket and, 2. What "set-up" are you using in the fire box - Thank you

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FYI they have a large barrel shaped basket and a flatter basket but I don’t have them yet. Also, Weber and Napoleon have several options for rotisserie in addition to the Only Fire mentioned by @cmac610 above. I will also add that they are notorious for being a PITA to clean. No first hand experience so I’m interested in what people do to clean. I’m gonna bite though. Just have to run through the dishwasher maybe a couple times, I hope. 🤞🏼
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 151
    Options
    mr toad said:

cmac610:  Two questions - 1. How difficult is it to clean the basket and, 2. What "set-up" are you using in the fire box - Thank you

1. I spray with a good amount of cooking spray which makes it pretty easy to clean. Without the spray it sucks. 

2. I have the BGS SS basket with the divider in it. Coals just in the back half. Has worked great for everything I’ve cooked with the rotisserie so far. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Is there any difference in taste when you do rotisserie vs spatchcocking?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Is there any difference in taste when you do rotisserie vs spatchcocking?
    Hard to say. I do my spatchcock chickens raised direct, so it’s a similar methodology. I would think the spinning might allow for the whole bird to be cooked at higher temps (350-400) while not getting scorched due to the constant movement. In theory this should produce even juicier chicken. I will say this chicken was very good and extremely moist for non brined birds. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    Going to give this thing a whirl 

Runs about an inch and a quarter above the fire ring at it's lowest point. 
    The tube is a little off center due to its large diameter, but this can be fix with spacers.
    Game on.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • The_Buffalo
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Picture from a trade show in Europe showing the pizza wedge

I wonder if the composite handle is required for the pizza wedge?  I have never seen a handle like that!
    It's not required, this is just a new replacement soft grip handle option. 
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Langner91
    Options
    Pork butt thawing.  I have vacation to burn, so al Pastor is going to be epic on Saturday after prepping it on Friday!

I pulled a butt out of my freezer that must have been bought during the Covid pig slaughter.  Dang thing was $0.99 per pound! 

BYOTequila!

Clinton, Iowa