Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-2022 World Cup-first match Sunday 11/20-USA opens 11/21-2 PM (EST)-OT

Options
The link to the full 64 match schedule broadcast in the USA-
World Cup schedule linked here-
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/how-to-watch-the-2022-world-cup-on-fox-times-channels-full-match-schedule
USA group matches are all at 2 PM (EST).  We failed to qualify for the last World Cup so time to get it on!  Frictionless conduit here.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    After the world series, I kept you tube tv for this!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Great thing about working from home…I can enjoy weekday afternoon football.  The US (youngest team in the tournament) will make it out of the groups, in advance of an excellent showing when we’re the hosts in 2026.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Predictions for a winner anyone?  For sentimental reasons, I'll go with Argentina - and finally a World Cup for Lionel Messi.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Predictions for a winner anyone?  For sentimental reasons, I'll go with Argentina - and finally a World Cup for Lionel Messi.
    I think it is South America's year; either Argentina or Brazil for the win, and I'd rather see Messi finally get one.  I think England is probably the strongest of the European teams, but I don't trust Southgate in late-stage matches (especially away from home soil).  France is really going to miss Pogba/Kante in midfield and will disappoint, Zidane will be in the fold before Christmas.   

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    And a change in the alcohol sales policy-
    "Alcohol will not be sold to fans at the World Cup's eight stadiums in Qatar after Fifa changed its policy two days before the start of the tournament.

Alcohol was set to be served "in select areas within stadiums", despite its sale being strictly controlled in the Muslim country.

Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    "Alcohol will not be sold to fans at the World Cup's eight stadiums in Qatar after Fifa changed its policy two days before the start of the tournament.

Alcohol was set to be served "in select areas within stadiums", despite its sale being strictly controlled in the Muslim country.

Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol."

And here's to Budweiser suing the h$ll out of FIFA to recoup that sponsorship fee.

I don't wish ill on the players or the fans who travel there, but I do really hope the game on the pitch is wonderful, but things off the pitch are a complete clusterf... and FIFA and Qatar need to completely own that this was an utterly indefensible award.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah.  I entered the earliest ticket lottery and got the right to buy tickets to 4 games.  I passed it up because of the lodging and other issues and we are feeling really good about the fact that we chose not to go - even before we learned about the alcohol issues.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• rekameohs
    Options
    Acn said:
    I don't wish ill on the players or the fans who travel there, but I do really hope the game on the pitch is wonderful, but things off the pitch are a complete clusterf... and FIFA and Qatar need to completely own that this was an utterly indefensible award.
    I like watching the World Cup, but really don't want to give any support to Qatar.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Acn said:
    lousubcap said:

And here's to Budweiser suing the h$ll out of FIFA to recoup that sponsorship fee.

I guess they are still going to sell Bud Zero what ever that is.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Belgium might slide in for win but hard to go against Brazil
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I would love to see Belgium take it all.  They definitely have enough talent to pull it off.

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Belgium have to get through CANADA first. LOL. 

On a serious note, I'm hoping that from that group, Canada outshines Croatia ... I think that is a possibility.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Acn
    Options
    Interesting, I don't have much confidence in Belgium at all; their golden generation has always underperformed, and now they're old.  I could see Canada and Croatia coming out of that group, and even if Belgium wins the group, I'm not sure they do much against whichever of Germany or Spain finishes 2nd in Group E.    

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Options
    Acn said:
    Interesting, I don't have much confidence in Belgium at all; their golden generation has always underperformed, and now they're old.  I could see Canada and Croatia coming out of that group, and even if Belgium wins the group, I'm not sure they do much against whichever of Germany or Spain finishes 2nd in Group E.    
    To be clear, I didn't say that I have any confidence in Belgium.  I just find them to be a talented bunch of likeable players.  

And don't underestimate Canada @Mark_B_Good.  They finished first in our region for a reason.  However, I don't think any player is more key to his country than Alphonso Davies - so whether or not he is truly recovered from his hamstring injury is crucial.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    So how many extra Euros did the Qatari's feed into Infantino's swiss bank account for that idiotic rant he gave today?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    So how many extra Euros did the Qatari's feed into Infantino's swiss bank account for that idiotic rant he gave today?
    Probably less than the Qataris may have splashed out to refs…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11445381/World-Cup-FIFA-warned-unusually-HIGH-number-penalties-awarded-Qatar-warm-games.html

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    Options
    The plots and sub-plots are rounding into form.  Hopefully the matches are not filled with high drama but likely wishful thinking on my part. 
  • Tspud1
    edited November 2022
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

It probably won't bother them as much as it bothered some US conservative types.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Options
    The plastic containers that they are using for "lodging" in the "fan village" are $175 Euros per night.  There are no showers and the water in the sinks is "brown".  Definitely glad we didn't go.

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:
    To be clear, I didn't say that I have any confidence in Belgium.  I just find them to be a talented bunch of likeable players.  

And don't underestimate Canada @Mark_B_Good.  They finished first in our region for a reason.  However, I don't think any player is more key to his country than Alphonso Davies - so whether or not he is truly recovered from his hamstring injury is crucial.
    We shall all see it unfold over the next few weeks. We no longer need to speculate.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Down to just 27 days left of the World Cup,  accepting it'll be about half that for both our teams.

I have no faith or expectation about England's chances, but it would be just typical of us to hang about until the end of this wretched tournament. 

One high-point though is that we are playing a tribute band for 80's New Wave sensations A Flock of Seagulls.   Get your synths out for the lads. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If nothing else, pond bragging rights on the line Friday.  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    England looking good so far (although I'm at work and not watching - but the scoreline looks good)

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Options
    That result makes it harder but not impossible to not progress to the knock-out stages.  
    Defensive frailties and peculiar VAR could be the X factor we need to get us home soon. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    The alcohol sales, and bribed refs, are small potatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMqLDhl8PXw

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch Netflix has a 4 part series "FIFA Uncovered" that gets to the core of FIFA and how the politics/$$$$$ work/worked in Qatar's case.  FYI-
  • lousubcap
    Options
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Botch Netflix has a 4 part series "FIFA Uncovered" that gets to the core of FIFA and how the politics/$$$$$ work/worked in Qatar's case.  FYI-
    It’s a democratic institution and whoever is in power just piles cash in to the weakest 150 nations, which is not a great deal of cash - let’s be honest when you’re buying a bag of balls for the Solomon Islands - and is therefore guaranteed their vote and re-election.