Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Stone Crab Season!

Don't hate me because I live here! Fishless, this means you!

Stone Crab season is here so I ran out to buy some. The first place was $65 per lb. for jumbo. Yikes!!

Next place was better.

I got the jumbo. Just because. Yea, I know, I'm crazy.

Next, I went to Frenchys Stone Crab festival on Clearwater beach. Mediums were $24, best prices are at the festival.

Come on down to Florida and get some. The season lasts til May 15.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    They look delicious 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Awesome! We are heading to Ft Lauderdale this Thursday for 10 days of relaxation. Going to have to get some of these when we are down there.

We first had stone crab in 2010 in Clearwater at Crabby Bills

We also ate at Frenchy's

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Love ‘em. Had some at Island Grill in Clearwater a couple of weeks ago. Bought some here last week. $60/lb this plate was around $110. 

I make the Joe’s Stone Crab mustard sauce. 

My wife is from the Clearwater area and we are big fans of Frenchys  

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • @dmchicago - I usually make the Joe's stone crab mustard, too. This was my purchase:

Happily Egging since 1996, still egging on my original large BGE, along with 6 other Big Green Eggs of assorted sizes.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited November 2022
    Well, I did check out ordering and shipping to Fly Over Country but I need to reflect on this as the shipping (gotta be overnight) is quite a hill to climb.
    However, @Florida Grillin Girl -if I were to order and get them shipped do you have any source recommendations?  BTW-tried two different browsers and I cannot get to Frenchy's on-line order site.  Thanks in advance, I think  B).
    Edit-I walked back from this cliff last year...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Well, I did check out ordering and shipping to Fly Over Country but I need to reflect on this as the shipping (gotta be overnight) is quite a hill to climb.
    However, @Florida Grillin Girl -if I were to order and get them shipped do you have any source recommendations?  BTW-tried two different browsers and I cannot get to Frenchy's on-line order site.  Thanks in advance, I think  B).
    I'll help you towards that cliff....

Did you try calling them?  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,417
    Can’t believe y’all eat em cold….
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    lousubcap said:
    If you are discrete, it's out of season, and you dig a hole before the cook, a couple hundred will buy you enough  for sgh to eat for a week in the outer islands Bahamas. Don't get caught, it's like drug trafficking down there. I bought a hundred dollars worth and fed twelve about ten or so years ago.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    No call as I'm old but totally in with the full green light buy, ship and receive product experience.  The fewer obstacles, the better.  A buy, build, install analogy-turn key for the win.  Let's see how this will play.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    No call as I'm old but totally in with the full green light buy, ship and receive product experience.  The fewer obstacles, the better.  A buy, build, install analogy-turn key for the win.  Let's see how this will play.  
    It's the only crab I would go out of my way for. Better than a Maine lobster but I've been spoiled with those
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    ColbyLang said:
    Have only had them caught and steamed with butter. Here though they are cooked and flash frozen
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    @fishlessman - I appreciate your comment as I know the Maine lobster enjoyment, (locally and in Flyover Country) and I may be biased given the access challenge here.  If that's the level of texture and flavour (nod) I await @Florida Grillin Girl 's input.  
    And for obvious reasons, the only way I would get them is cooked and flash frozen.   Time will tell.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    looks like it’s time for a  Truluck’s run.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • @lousubcap - this is where I bought them... it says they ship. https://www.facebook.com/frenchysstonecrab/
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman - I appreciate your comment as I know the Maine lobster enjoyment, (locally and in Flyover Country) and I may be biased given the access challenge here.  If that's the level of texture and flavour (nod) I await @Florida Grillin Girl 's input.  
    And for obvious reasons, the only way I would get them is cooked and flash frozen.   Time will tell.
    I would follow her guidence to a T.  She has been aggravating me with this annual post for maybe decades now😁
    fukahwee maine

• @ColbyLang - the ones I bought at Frenchy's market were cold. The ones at the festival I ordered hot. I like them both ways, and at home I usually heat them up on the BGE.

• @fishlessman - "Don't hate me because I live here! Fishless, this means you!"
    You were mentioned in my first sentence for a reason! Ha Ha! Yea, and it hasn't been decades, only a few short years.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    ColbyLang said:

I quick steam them or dunk them in boiling water (with a little crab boil) to heat them up.

I like them, but I'm not paying $50/lb for them.  I wonder what Joe Patti's is getting for them since I'm in Pensacola for a while.
    NOLA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2022
    buzd504 said:
    ColbyLang said:

I quick steam them or dunk them in boiling water (with a little crab boil) to heat them up.

I like them, but I'm not paying $50/lb for them.  I wonder what Joe Patti's is getting for them since I'm in Pensacola for a while.
    I'm sure you already know this, but Pensacola is home to the best butcher between atlanta and houston IMO. It's called The Butcher Shoppe. (I love Jo Patti's, havent' been there in years)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    Just now pulled the trigger on three pounds of Frenchy's medium claw stone crab.  A new eating experience here and hopefully as enjoyable as anticipated.  Delivery next week and a thanksgiving eve special.  
  • @lousubcap - that's awesome. I know you will enjoy them. Please let me know how your new experience with stone crabs turns out. Butta or mustard sauce??

• lousubcap
    edited November 2022
    I went down the stone claw rabbit hole as posted above.  Arrived today after the overnight freight hosing.  Had to enjoy this evening.  Cold with mustard sauce.  Great tasting and glad I have had them.  A bit different taste profile than a lobster claw.  I will say that once you roll in the shipping charges, they lack that wow factor.  

They don't elevate the taste/flavour (nod)/texture profile the way an A5 Japanese wagyu steak does over any other steak cut I have had including SRF gold and one-off  Lobel's ribeye.  
    I will seek them out when in Florida but not the overnight to Fly Over Country.  FWIW-
    Edit to insert the pic.
  • fishlessman
    Have only had illegal ones caught that day and still hot. Enough to feed ten for a hundey. Like lobster, sweet approaching hard shell, grainy if it passes, not right at soft shell. Not sure if that is right so much with crab
    fukahwee maine

• Thanks for the honest review @lousubcap. Mom was going to ship some halibut from Alaska to Austin from a friend. She ended up buying her a plane ticket, it was cheaper and more fun all around.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Love getting these in Cedar Key, FL.  Never tried warm!  May try a few that way next time, thanks for sharing that option.   

Cedar Key clams— love em local and one day saw them here in an Atlanta Costco for the same price.  Great but still not the same sunset in the background. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Never eat crab in months that have an R.

That's what I learned in Oregon.  Dungeness in months without an R.

Or, was it in months with an "R"?  

Dang crabs!

Cows are much easier to eat!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Do y’all have the recipe for Joe’s mustard sauce and do you put it on anything else?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Dawgtired said:
    Do y’all have the recipe for Joe’s mustard sauce and do you put it on anything else?

At Joe's, the stone crabs are served cold, already cracked. They come with small metal cups of mustard or melted butter—or both. This is the mustard sauce for which Joe's is famous.

Ingredients

Makes 4 servings

1 tablespoon Colman's dry mustard, or more to taste,
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire
    1 teaspoon A-1 sauce
    2 tablespoons light cream
    salt
    1. Step 1

Place the mustard in a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the mayonnaise and beat for 1 minute.

Step 2

Add the Worcestershire, A-1, cream, and a pinch of salt and beat until the mixture is well blended and creamy. If you'd like a little more mustardy bite, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon more dry mustard until well blended. Chill the sauce, covered, until serving.

Reprinted with permission from Eat at Joe's: The Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant Cookbook, Copyright ©November 1993, Jo Ann Bass and Richard Sax, Clarkson Potter

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    buzd504 said:
    ColbyLang said:

I'm sure you already know this, but Pensacola is home to the best butcher between atlanta and houston IMO. It's called The Butcher Shoppe. (I love Jo Patti's, havent' been there in years)

I have heard that but I haven't been.  It's on the list.
    NOLA