Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s My Birthday And I Went All Out For A Big Cook

Options
Decided to throw a party for my birthday inviting 60 people.  I cooked 3 briskets, 1 pork butt, 10 racks of St Louis ribs, 3 tritips and 4 lbs of sausages. The attendees brought sides and appetizers.  Wow what a spread, I was impressed with the food they brought.  On my end it was an overnight and all day the next cook. It took 3 of us just to carve and keep the proteins coming.  Got it all done and perfectly timed.  I discovered that both of my ovens inside hold low temps so instead of FTC I used the oven to hold the briskets for 5 hours.  The temp fluctuated between 147-177.  This was the only change I made to my normal brisket process and they turned out as a personal best.  Had a great birthday doing what I love.  As usual I was gloved up and depended on others for pictures so I didn’t capture it all.

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Happy birthday and what a fun time!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Happy Bucking Firthday! Great Spread
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Epic cook!  Happy Birthday man!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Way to celebrate the successful completion of another lap of the sun.  Go big or go home right there.  Great party, cooks and banquet.  Happy Birthday 🎂
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow! Y'all know how to throw down some grub!

A belated happy birthday to you. Its pretty clear from reading your first post that you had a fantastic time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Nice, all the way around.  Happy Birthday!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What a way to roll past another marker. Congrats!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks like great food and company. Happy belated. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Hell Yeah!  Happy Birthday!

Is that a twin, a brother, or a brother from another mother in that first pic?

• Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Legume No that’s a neighbor.  Looks like we go to the same colorist to get our blonde hair done.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Happy Birthday,  I'm full just looking at the incredible spread. Did you hold the briskets in oven naked or wrapped in foil or BP? Thought about doing this for PP on several occasions.
    canuckland
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Happy birthday, and what a great spread. I can't imagine anyone turns down an invitation to your place.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great spread!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Canugghead I held the briskets in the oven wrapped in foil.  I have seen videos of holding them in a foil boat with the top open but I was afraid to try it with so many people coming over.  I kept the pulled pork in a covered disposable foil pan in the other oven @150.  It worked perfectly.  Highly recommended if your oven goes low.  It was really handy to have the meat in the oven nearby while carving and serving vs an ice chest on the floor.  
    Southeast Louisiana
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger I chuckled at your comment about folks turning down an invitation.  We have a community BBQ Cookoff every year on Labor Day.  I have managed to win 7 of 9 first places over the last 3 years.  My closest competitor competes on the KCBS circuit and he keeps me on my toes but I have beaten him on ribs two years in a row. Consequently, I never get invited to go to anyone’s home for dinner.  
    Southeast Louisiana
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wish it had been 61 invited. Hope you had a great Burfday.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Awesome. What did you cook all that on? How many cookers/smokers did it take to handle all that meat?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Great cook and great post.  Congrats on that and on your birthday.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• OviedoGoddess
    Options
    I read the second half of this thread title a little too fast and I thought it said I Went All Out for a Big **** and I thought wow that's my kind of birthday party!  
  • tcampbell
    Options
    @tcampbell I used an XL egg and a Rockin W gravity smoker. Normally I do ribs on the KBQ but since I had the gravity unit running overnight I just did the ribs on it.   I did the tritips and the sausages on the egg.  It was a lot of work but I enjoyed every minute.

Looks fun
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Happy belated birthday!  
    Very generous of you to put on the cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Amazing!  Happy Birthday.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin