Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Theorycrafting

enderw30
enderw30 Posts: 58
edited October 2022 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
So my church has a chili cookoff next Saturday and I am theory crafting a recipe for it. Here is what I have so far.: 

Smoked pulled pork with traditional pork rub
Roasted sweet potatoes with paprika, cinnamon, and nutmeg for seasoning
Black beans
Roasted jalapenos
Beef broth mixed with apple cider vinegar and molasses/brown sugar (with seasonings like salt, pepper, paprika, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste)

I'm thinking of a roughly even ration between the pork, potatoes, and beans. What would you add? What would you change? Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Edit: I am not trying to win more trying to make something unique but that tastes good as well!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I’m not sure how it would do with pulled pork, but I always add a couple dashes of good fish sauce to my beef chili. Adds a nice umami to it
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited October 2022
    Best of luck in your cookoff, not sure if this will be a peoples choice or “ judged” either way have fun

chili cook offs are the one event I always feel good going into, and I keep it very simple , chili goes in chili, always beef ,other than onions garlic and seasoning, that’s it for me, I make an adobo paste and build from that, a good dark roux to thicken If needed 

a good adobo paste here https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1229113/adobo-paste-base-recipe
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • enderw30
    enderw30 Posts: 58
    edited October 2022
    @ColtsFan I like the idea of adding some umami to it. I'll have to try and play around with what I should add

@lkapigian I will definitely have to try your adobo paste recipe in the future, it looks delicious! I don't care to win more to make something unique but not too unique if you know what I mean. :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Add 1 star anise per 4 qts of chili. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If people's choice, it will be a carp-shoot.  I entered one once (people's choice) and the winning recipe was two quarts of Hormel's chili out of the can, simmered with a pint of Jack Daniels.  It was a business (aka adults only) event. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sounds good. 

If you haven’t done it before, I recommend smoking the chili as a final step. Have really like hickory on it in the past. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    lousubcap said:
    If people's choice, it will be a carp-shoot.  I entered one once (people's choice) and the winning recipe was two quarts of Hormel's chili out of the can, simmered with a pint of Jack Daniels.  It was a business (aka adults only) event. 
    Heh.  The last chili cookoff I entered was in my Mx organization, it was a fundraiser.  $3 a bowl, plus voting for bragging rights.  I slow-smoked a brisket, diced it very finely, and spared no expense to build a very nice chili in my large crockpot.
    Towards the end of the feed/contest, I walked in and bought a couple bowls.  It looked like only two bowls were purchased out of my crock, so they made $6 out of the $40 I had invested; worse, they unplugged all the crockpots and piled them up in the hallway at the end, and when I left for home (5 hours later) my mostly-full crock of chili was room temp, and I had to throw the rest of it out.  
    I decided to just donate $6 to the next year's fundraiser, but ended up taking early retirement before that even happened.  Sigh.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap said:
    Yeah I don't even know if there is a prize. If there is it's probably not much more than a pat on the back. I did think about using Hormels just for fun to see if anyone notices.
  • Botch said:
    Heh.  The last chili cookoff I entered was in my Mx organization, it was a fundraiser.  $3 a bowl, plus voting for bragging rights.  I slow-smoked a brisket, diced it very finely, and spared no expense to build a very nice chili in my large crockpot.
    Towards the end of the feed/contest, I walked in and bought a couple bowls.  It looked like only two bowls were purchased out of my crock, so they made $6 out of the $40 I had invested; worse, they unplugged all the crockpots and piled them up in the hallway at the end, and when I left for home (5 hours later) my mostly-full crock of chili was room temp, and I had to throw the rest of it out.  
    I decided to just donate $6 to the next year's fundraiser, but ended up taking early retirement before that even happened.  Sigh.   
    I thought about this as well. Nothing is worse than wasting good food!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Okra is always a great secret ingredient.  Adds a celery taste, but how it melts and thickens the chili is awesome.  

I'd leave the cinnamon and nutmeg out.  Thats a big turn off to a lot of people.  Depending on your region, might leave the beans out too.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    The latest episode of this podcast: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/podcasts/proof  tells the story of a huge chili cheating scandal in Texas in 2003.

Basically, a guy got a taste from all of the chili cooks that were cooking and submitted it just so he could get the T-shirt, and then he ended up winning.

It's a pretty good listen.

NOLA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited October 2022
    If going with a pork butt the results will be better if you cut it into cubes as opposed to pulling.  Pulled chunks in chili will separate and become stringy.  The taste is fine but the texture is unappealing to some people.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lkapigian
    I do recommend A Bowl of Red by Frank X Tolbert and With or Without Beans by Joe E Cooper for those interested in the History of Chili Cook Offs and techniques 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    if its peoples choice with lots of women in a church setting make it chicken, something healthy. theres panera bread copycat recipes out there, this ones with turkey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • So this is what I ended up doing:
    Chopped pork butt with a traditional rub (started on sous vide and finished on egg due to other commitments this morning)
    Roast sweet potatoes with cayenne, ancho, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
    Black beans
    Roasted okra with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper
    Beef broth with apple cider vinegar, molasses, roasted diced jalapenos, ancho, cayenne

It probably won't win as it isn't a traditional chili but I think it tastes pretty darn good which is what I was going for anyways. Thank you for all your suggestions!
  • lkapigian
    I’m sure you will do well, way to think outside the box and you rocked the Ancho 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • It was a panel of judges that chose, and I ended up number 2 out of the 14 though mine did get a first-place vote from one of the judges. It was a unique chili but the sweetness and spice paired really well together.

@stlcharcoal Thanks for the okra suggestion that was a big hit in it and I discovered I like roasted okra!