Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really OT I suppose…but supper or dinner?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,976
Perhaps this was engrained in you as a child…but is your evening meal your supper or your dinner? Guess it makes no difference, but I always pick up when someone uses their chosen term which differs from mine, though I never comment!

Comments

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 160
    Supper here
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,213
    I say dinner.  My northern family members say supper.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,585
    @RRP your default choice is??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I should start by saying that I believe both are equally valid. There is no right or wrong answer. 

Growing up, it was always “dinner” to me. 

What about you, Ron? Which do you prefer, and why?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,232
    At 13, I had raw burger with my girl friends dad at 4:30during the news, dinner at 5.  at 5:30 at friend's house or so which is my second mom til this day.  Then dinner at home around 7. There was this dinner bell ringing around three with this clanking light under my girlfriends bedroom In the kitchen hanging light. Watched a lot of general hospital in bed back then... That's 4 or 5 dinners. When I was 14 my girlfriend got her license, add a dinner, mcdees and ice cream and.....hope you don't just have supper....life was well, just good. Mom and dad were horrified....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,053
    You never disappoint Fish.
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    Legume said:
    You never disappoint Fish.
    It's dinner, not supper,  and general hospital,well....
    fukahwee maine

• What’s for supper?
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,833
    edited October 2022
    This is an article that provides a simple breakdown:

https://www.rd.com/article/difference-between-dinner-and-supper/

Makes sense to me, as “supper” always seemed to be more common amongst acquaintances in more rural settings. 

(Edit: For the record, it was always “dinner” for me, though I’ve noticed my mother now sometimes references “supper” when speaking to my children. 🤷‍♂️)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,046
    I only eat two meals a day now, and often sleep thru breakfast, so now I'm all confused.   :|  

Growing up in SD, breakfast was at 0600, "lunch" at 0900, dinner at noon, "lunch" at 1500, supper at 1800, and then snacks after you had your shower and turned on the TV.  "Lunches" back then were fresh-baked cookies, or cinnamon rolls, home-made doughnuts, cheese-n-crackers, or sardines-n-crackers, maybe a slice of watermelon; just a little "pick me up" at mid morning and mid afternoon.  I miss those days (and that metabolism).  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    I only eat two meals a day now, and often sleep thru breakfast, so now I'm all confused.   :|  

Growing up in SD, breakfast was at 0600, "lunch" at 0900, dinner at noon, "lunch" at 1500, supper at 1800, and then snacks after you had your shower and turned on the TV.  "Lunches" back then were fresh-baked cookies, or cinnamon rolls, home-made doughnuts, cheese-n-crackers, or sardines-n-crackers, maybe a slice of watermelon; just a little "pick me up" at mid morning and mid afternoon.  I miss those days (and that metabolism).  
    No breakfast here, lunch was the tiny can of raviolis or roller coaster cans from a vending machine, I needed 4/5 thousand calories for dinner growing up. Graduated high school under 100 pounds, broke 5 feet in college..the growing pains to hit 5_10 were incedible

fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,219
    It was supper growing up or at least that's what my mom called it. 

It's dinner here at my house. .

My mom also calls the TV remote a "clicker". So it's not all that strange when I hear my mom call lunch dinner.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Interchangeable at home, but if one is going out he is going to dinner.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,585
    Supper here but @4TheGrillOfIt codified it when on the move.  
    Never invited a friend out for "supper!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho said:
    It was supper growing up or at least that's what my mom called it. 

It's dinner here at my house. .

My mom also calls the TV remote a "clicker". So it's not all that strange when I hear my mom call lunch dinner.  =)

This is why it’s called a clicker. It clicks ha ha. We keep this one in the living room just to remind us of the good old days. 

And it’s dinner. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    toe-may-toe/toe-maahh-toe
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,053
    Great timing posting this after UK is mostly down for the night so they couldn’t f it up with “tea”

It’s always been dinner to me.
    Not a felon
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    It's called dinner in the ALLCAPS CHATEAU

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• In east Texas (land of Louis Goemert) lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. And Louis Goemert is considered smart so that tells you all you need to know.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,976
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP your default choice is??
    Like I said I guess the term is based upon what was engrained in  EACH of us as a child.

I grew up being told  Breakfast was morning…

Dinner meant your noon meal.

but Supper meant your meal in the evening…but like @4TheGrillOfIt just said,
    …we never ask friends “do you you want to go out fo DINNER? It’s always - do you want to go out for SUPPER?…and then of course…where?

• To me, dinner has always suggested a more formal affair, which corroborates the point about going out for “dinner”, I guess. Now that I think about it, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of “supper by candlelight”. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,064
    Dinner for me, though it rarely happens…. I will add on a side note, the demise of the family unit with Breakfast Lunch and Dinner at the table, no tv cell phones etc…. Has contributed to this Cluster of a nation we are 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,618
    Dinner is the evening meal except on Sunday..... On Sunday dinner happens around noon. 

I'm curious about tea. I always thought tea was tea until those on the other side of the pond started dropping "tea" pics....  Do you have 4 meals a day over there? Does tea happen more than once?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,046

This is why it’s called a clicker. It clicks ha ha. We keep this one in the living room just to remind us of the good old days. 
    You damn kids with your "clickers" and your "good old days"...

In the REAL old days Dad would order me to get off my wooden box and click the knob on the box TV, and then re-adjust the tinfoil on the wire clothes-hanger for the best picture (and hold it, if required).  

Damn kids.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• As long as it’s not the “last supper” I’m not sure it really matters.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Around here dinner is on @RRP schedule but if you call supper dinner no one will argue about it. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    Supper date? supper party? I dunno
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:

No breakfast here, lunch was the tiny can of raviolis or roller coaster cans from a vending machine, I needed 4/5 thousand calories for dinner growing up. Graduated high school under 100 pounds, broke 5 feet in college..the growing pains to hit 5_10 were incedible

Tapeworm

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,630
    Botch said:

You damn kids with your "clickers" and your "good old days"...

In the REAL old days Dad would order me to get off my wooden box and click the knob on the box TV, and then re-adjust the tinfoil on the wire clothes-hanger for the best picture (and hold it, if required).  

Damn kids.  
    Every Super Bowl I had to climb on the roof with a pipe wrench and turn the antenna according to relayed instructions.