Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not another lump debate but...

I live in Madison GA. Supposedly the very first BGE dealer in the US is Thrifty Mac pharmacy here in Madison. Anyway...I can't get Rockwood anywhere within a 30 min drive. I bought some K Joe lump from lowes yesterday. I've been waiting for an hour...this sh*t smells like an ashtray in a rubber factory. What's a rural redneck to do? @stlcharcoal ...help me out. Order by the pallet? My other option is the devil stuff from the Thrifty Mac. 
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    I've used KJ lump a few times over the years. Always thought it was above average to excellent. Sorry your bag is sh*t.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @Photo Egg I read it was decent. That's why I bought it. So far I'm less than impressed. 

• ksmyrl
    I'm not being over dramatic. This is the worst bag of lump I've ever dealt with. It is still awful. Maybe this is an anomaly? I'm about to heat up the cast iron for our Sunday steaks. 

I'll use this in the bottom of the fire pit. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,807
    My understanding was that you could order Rockwood from Ace online, and have it delivered to any  store.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    caliking said:
    My understanding was that you could order Rockwood from Ace online, and have it delivered to any  store.
    Or order directly from the Rockwood website. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    Or order many various brands on Amazon. I know they’ve got Fogo
  • ksmyrl
    edited October 2022
    Yeah. Sorry. I realize I can use the internets to get lump. I fired off that post in a hasty, bourbon fueled, pissed off haze. Carry on. 

But steaks look awesome in the cast iron in the house...

• Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    My closet Ace Hardware doesn’t carry Rockwood.  I place an order on line thru Ace and have it delivered to the Ace close buy.  My fear was that they would be handled several times and be dust by the time I picked them up.  The bags and charcoal are always in great shape.  Done it a few times and about 6 bags at a crack.  I was normally buying thru Rockwood and it was convenient getting it delivered to the house. The savings of $ thru Ace with there often discount promotions made me a believer.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,589
    For those who may be relatively new here, in addition to the Ace availability Rockwood was available on line thru Firecraft.  Several years ago Firecraft bailed on that option and apparently everything else.  Within a matter of a few weeks Rockwood stood up their own order/ship website  (linked here https://rockwoodcharcoal.com ) which is still going strong today.  
    In addition to that prompt and very much appreciated response the owner is a frequent contributor on this forum. His forum name @stlcharcoal and you should give any post he makes about lump and fire behavior a serious read.
    No affiliation but a chance to support a great small business.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking said:
    This. I order 20 bags at a time from my local ace (they do not stock it). It’s there within a few days and I’m good for a few months. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking said:
    This. I order 20 bags at a time from my local ace (they do not stock it). It’s there within a few days and I’m good for a few months. 
    20 bags of charcoal last you… a few months?  You cooking for the entire town of Fburg over there?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ksmyrl
    edited October 2022
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker must be like us here in rural GA. My BGE's are used daily. Much more than the fancy stove top the wife wanted. 

• caliking said:
    20 bags of charcoal last you… a few months?  You cooking for the entire town of Fburg over there?
    I go through a bag a week or so. I live in the sticks so I don’t like running out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    ksmyrl said:
    I'm not being over dramatic. This is the worst bag of lump I've ever dealt with. It is still awful. Maybe this is an anomaly? I'm about to heat up the cast iron for our Sunday steaks. 

I'll use this in the bottom of the fire pit. 
    Lump is made and packaged by humans. Bad batches and bags do make it to market.
    Lump is also produced for totally different markets. Many years ago, one of the best names in lump mis packaged a batch that was meant for commercial heating of some kind. Needless to say, it was terrible burning in the Egg. They ended up refunding the price for the lump and asked me to discard it. I was not the only one on the forum that had this issue. But their customer service was top notch.
    I know I have burned 30-40 bags of KJ over the years with no complaints.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Photo Egg said:

Lump is made and packaged by humans. Bad batches and bags do make it to market.
    Lump is also produced for totally different markets. Many years ago, one of the best names in lump mis packaged a batch that was meant for commercial heating of some kind. Needless to say, it was terrible burning in the Egg. They ended up refunding the price for the lump and asked me to discard it. I was not the only one on the forum that had this issue. But their customer service was top notch.
    I know I have burned 30-40 bags of KJ over the years with no complaints.

Sounds like BS story, but it was nice of them to replace it.  We sell charcoal to copper manufacturers, a cymbal manufacture, the Army for munitions, animal feed companies, etc, but it's no different than what goes to the BBQ customers.  
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've been a Rockwood believer for many years. Best stuff out there. PERIOD. In my opinion. Excellent product available in many locations as well as direct. More expensive than Royal Choke but worth my money in time savings waiting for the white smoke to clear. Not trying to start a feud like the ATV forums on "what oil is best for my machine?" but this is honest true experience. Not trying to come back to the forum with a vengeance but there seriously is a difference.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!