Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On average, how long for white to blue on wood smoke?

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,400
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering, on average, how long do you guys let’s the smoke wood sit on top of the coals before throwing on the meat? I’ve been doing it at 15 minutes for long as I can remember. Buddy of mine waits an hour.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,064
    If egging, I bury my smokewood, and like you, probably around 15 minutes ( I dumpa chimney of lit coals )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,048
    I push a chunk thru the bottom vent and center it under the lump, as I'm adding the food once the Egg is stabilized; theory being the smoke burns completely having to travel thru the hot lump.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    If one still has bad wood four hours after emitting white smoke one is in the wrong profession.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789
    Always smell the smoke . . . you'll know if it's acrid
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    edited October 2022
    Not sure, but if the bad wood lasts more than four hours my understanding is that you're supposed to call a doctor.  
    ...or call all your friends.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    Powak said:
    Just wondering, on average, how long do you guys let’s the smoke wood sit on top of the coals before throwing on the meat? I’ve been doing it at 15 minutes for long as I can remember. Buddy of mine waits an hour.
    In the charcoal and smoking wood industry, we love folks like your friend that waste our products.  :tongue:

We kiln it properly so you don't have to.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,590
    @fishlessman cuts it to the chase.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian said:
    If egging, I bury my smokewood, and like you, probably around 15 minutes ( I dumpa chimney of lit coals )
    Same
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,834
    edited October 2022
    Not sure, but if the bad wood lasts more than four hours my understanding is that you're supposed to call a doctor.  
    Think you might be confusing white smoke with blue pills. 

Priapism ain’t nothing to smoke about!
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 398
    I used to wait a while but now maybe 5 min, can't taste a difference between blue/white smoke. Or until the smoker reaches the temp I want. 
  • Mr1egg said:
    I used to wait a while but now maybe 5 min, can't taste a difference between blue/white smoke. Or until the smoker reaches the temp I want. 
    I agree. I’ve always thought it’s probably a wash by the end of the cook. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,813
    I don't worry about  the smoking wood burning clean, just the lump
    Agree

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Powak
    I don't worry about  the smoking wood burning clean, just the lump
    Damn that’s a good way to look at it.
  • Powak
    Powak said:
    In the charcoal and smoking wood industry, we love folks like your friend that waste our products.  :tongue:

We kiln it properly so you don't have to.
    HAHAHHA! That makes sense then why I get no white smoke with your product, just when I throw in the smoke wood and even then it’s not putrid smoke like bad lump.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I give it enough time that it no longer smells like a smoldering house fire.  Could be 5 minutes, could be 30.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2022
    Well think about it, a stick burner doesn't burn "clean" constantly. Every time you put a new split on, there is "bad" smoke for a good long while. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    I add wood chunk/chips when the charcoal is burning clean.  I typically add a chunk in the middle and chips around the fire.

Well think about it, a stick burner doesn't burn "clean" constantly. Every time you put a new split on, there is "bad" smoke for a good long while. 
    I have noted that some independent BBQ restaurants on TV seem to burn their wood down into coals separately, then shovel the coals into their smoker.  
    That would be an interesting side-by-side taste testing to participate in!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,064
    Botch said:
    I have noted that some independent BBQ restaurants on TV seem to burn their wood down into coals separately, then shovel the coals into their smoker.  
    That would be an interesting side-by-side taste testing to participate in!  
    Typically done on direct heat cookers and gives you the addition of “ fat smoke” vs “ just wood smoke “ 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,590
    edited October 2022
    Direct heat from a hot bed of coals or some level of live fire is the way a Santa Maria or Argentine Parrilla rig cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I very often do not add smoking wood to the fire until the Egg is up to temp and heat soaked.   Guys who makes a lot of money professionally from barbecue do the same thing all the time.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I very often do not add smoking wood to the fire until the Egg is up to temp and heat soaked.   Guys who makes a lot of money professionally from barbecue do the same thing all the time.  
    Hold up… you mean you can make money doing this?!?!?

j/k - always a good idea to follow those who legit know what they’re doing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike