Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow N Sear coming for BGE

This looks cool. I’ll grab one for sure. Always been a fan of the idea. Awesome reverse sear rig. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me, but to each their own. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Neat idea. My thoughts
    1. Great for quick and medium cooks, charcoal holder too small for long low n slow?
    2. How will the gasket hold up with elevated lump?
    3. Made for Large only, not enough room for large proteins, e.g. whole turkey. imo XL works better with two-zone cooking.
    canuckland
  • TL;DW
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• My thoughts are why not just buy an old school Weber kettle and put a water pan in if you really want the boiling water feature.  The damn cost would be about the same.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    My thoughts are why not just buy an old school Weber kettle and put a water pan in if you really want the boiling water feature.  The damn cost would be about the same.  
    SNS has a good reputation, it started out as a Weber kettle accessory.

“The Single Best Accessory For the Weber Kettle Ever” – Meathead Goldwyn, amazingribs.com

canuckland
  • My thoughts are why not just buy an old school Weber kettle and put a water pan in if you really want the boiling water feature.  The damn cost would be about the same.  

“The Single Best Accessory For the Weber Kettle Ever” – Meathead Goldwyn, amazingribs.com

Well if people really like this thing, then good for them.  I don'r really see the need for it, personally.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    My thoughts are why not just buy an old school Weber kettle and put a water pan in if you really want the boiling water feature.  The damn cost would be about the same.  

I can understand why it would be a better fit to the 22” Weber Kettle. The slower air flow in the Egg already holds so much moisture I normally do things like air dry in the fridge to help remove moisture prior to cooking. I just can’t think of a reason to add a water pan in my Ceramic Eggs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    lousubcap said:
    Did I see water boiling in that video??   B)
    LOL… I thought the same thing when I watched the video. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    - I agree with you folks. Do not see the need in a BGE. I know the SNS Kamado came with this item.
    - I do have an SNS for my Kettle and the system does work well in that application. The spin grate works and is a plus. The drip tray is pretty shallow, I do not have the SS variant of the drip tray.
    - You can spin a regular Weber cooking grate with some effort.
    - The SNS has worked well on the Kettle when doing brisket, I have limited brisket size to 8-12lbs on these cooks due to space. I have done 2-8lb butts hot and fast with no issues.
    - For a kettle like grill the SNS is a pretty decent add on.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Does boiling water really "set the bark" better than non-moisturized heat?

I want one, simply because it is another toy for the toybox, but it will have to wait until I have a Joe-Tisserie.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • I have a slow n sear for my Weber Kamado, but I don’t use water in it. I like it for grilling and running the Weber Kamado like a kettle. 

Sigh. Sideways pictures. Too lazy to fix. 

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    Sounds sounds like a lot of gyrations and hoops to jump thru.  Just buy a PK360.  This cooking thing is not rocket science.  Buy the best too that will do the job you want it to.  There is enough options available, so don’t feel you have to compromise at this point!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2022
    6baluts said:
    - I agree with you folks. Do not see the need in a BGE. I know the SNS Kamado came with this item.
    - I do have an SNS for my Kettle and the system does work well in that application. The spin grate works and is a plus. The drip tray is pretty shallow, I do not have the SS variant of the drip tray.
    - You can spin a regular Weber cooking grate with some effort.
    - The SNS has worked well on the Kettle when doing brisket, I have limited brisket size to 8-12lbs on these cooks due to space. I have done 2-8lb butts hot and fast with no issues.
    - For a kettle like grill the SNS is a pretty decent add on.
    I can’t see myself smoking low and slow with it but it’s a great reverse sear rig. I don’t see myself using the water pan much in how I think I would use it but I have found a way to use all my accessories in creative ways they were not originally designed for. I’ll take the plunge and play around with it. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    edited October 2022
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker ,

- I do think you could get pretty creative with the "Drip Pan".
    - The SNS for the Kettle I bought the actual name of the Drip Pan is called the "Drip'N and Griddle Pan". This pan is not a one trick pony. Great for veggies etc.
    - The one in video is SS which is much better than mine which I went cheap on with the Porcelain one but went the extra couple of $ and got the SNS deluxe.
    - Not sure if you sniffed around much on the SNS site but they make a Silicone Baking mat for the Drip 'N Griddle if thats of interest.
    - To be truthful if my drip n griddle would fit any of my BGE's and they would sell the adapter ring Dave talks about in the video I would most likely jump at that. You have me wondering now if maybe the "mini" drip 'n griddle would work in a LBGE with the adapter ring.
    - For sure you will be able to make some bang up reverse sear items. The spin grate in that evolution is a plus.
    - The SNS without the water pan will allow you to get quite a bit more lump in it for that reverse sear. On my kettle I only ever use that water pan on low 'n slo cooks which really is not that much compared to my ceramics or HB.
    - When you get it I hope you relay your thoughts on your usage, build quality, etc.
  • Canugghead
    Fill the water pan with fresh herbs sans water?
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I skimmed the video in about 20 seconds, and it looks way too complicated for me.
    NOLA

Well if people really like this thing, then good for them.  I don'r really see the need for it, personally.  
    Stop ruining the forum. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i'm still trying to figure out all the ways to put my adjustable rig together!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks like its going to run $300!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings