Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for suggestions downtown chicago

poster
poster Posts: 1,206
Heading down to a manufacturing trade show in Chicago in a few weeks and looking for some suggestions on good/neat places to eat. I haven't been in 4 years as the show is every second year and covid canceled the last one. I was sad to see Ditka's is no longer as it was a fairly casual place downtown to hang out. Ive been to Gibsons/Hugos, Joes stone crab, Shaws, Tavern on Rush, Harry Carays, Carson's to name a few and liked them all. I'm not into anything where formal attire is required, just good casual spots. Ive also done Portillo's and Eatly for awesome lunches. Wondering if maybe i'm missing out on places a simple Google search doesn't show.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Sorry to hear Ditka's is gone. 
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,219
    I always enjoy a stop in Billy Goat Tavern.   
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,132
    buzd504 said:
    Sorry to hear Ditka's is gone. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,976
    Bullet proof vests are optional, BUT really warranted!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,132
    Happy to second the rec for the Purple Pig.  That place is legit.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Agree with Purple Pig. If looking for something bar like check out Timithy O’tooles or Jake Melnicks. Anything in the west loop is legit too. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• poster
    Will give the Purple Pig a go (if i can get in). I remember passing by it in the past but never checked it out
     Thanks for the suggestions 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,219
    Agree with Purple Pig. If looking for something bar like check out Timithy O’tooles or Jake Melnicks. Anything in the west loop is legit too. 
    My buddy, cousin, and I ended up at Timithy O'Toole's one night when we were in town for a Cubs and White Sox game. We were throwing back drinks most of the night and started hitting it pretty hard as the bar the nearing last call....or so we thought. It turns out bars are open until 4am in Chicago. We assumed it was 2am and we were all primed up. My buddies head was bobbing up and down at this point trying not to pass out. There were two ladies sitting at the bar with their backs behind us. I told my buddy who was nearly passing out that the two ladies at the bar keep turning around and looking at him. He wasn't too sure if I was telling the truth or not. (I was lying through my teeth but I thought it would be funny to see him go and try to pick up these chicks who had no idea who he is or where he came from.) Next thing you know we watch my buddy go up to the bar and sit next to one of them. He must have been talking to them for a few minutes and he goes and tries to put his hand on top of her thigh. It immediately gets pushed off. He tries again a few more minutes later and his hand gets pushed off her thigh once again. At this point my cousin and I are crying laughing. Next thing you know the girl is laughing and having a good time with my buddy. He doesn't say a word to us as they get up and leave together. My cousin and I are like WTF just happened? Wait, did I seriously just hook these two up together? Did this just backfire? 

My cousin and I go back to the hotel and pass out. Next thing you know it's like 6:30am and my buddy comes crashing through the hotel door. He can hardly recall what happened a few hours earlier. All he can recall was him leaving the bar and this chick buying him a hotdog at a hotdog stand because when he left with her he never closed out his tab at the bar and the bar still had his credit card. He went back to her apartment. Next thing you know he has to sneak out of her place that morning but he has no idea where he is or how far he is away. I'm almost positive he had to ask for some cash from her to catch a cab as he didn't have his wallet. 

I guess I don't know the point of this story is but you might have a good ole time at Timithy O'Toole's if you're not careful! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,132
    Rosebud Steakhouse is always good, any of that groups resturaunts are good actually.  Another one Ive enjoyed is Volare
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,623
    IMTS? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • saluki2007
    WeberWho said:
    My buddy, cousin, and I ended up at Timithy O'Toole's one night when we were in town for a Cubs and White Sox game. We were throwing back drinks most of the night and started hitting it pretty hard as the bar the nearing last call....or so we thought. It turns out bars are open until 4am in Chicago. We assumed it was 2am and we were all primed up. My buddies head was bobbing up and down at this point trying not to pass out. There were two ladies sitting at the bar with their backs behind us. I told my buddy who was nearly passing out that the two ladies at the bar keep turning around and looking at him. He wasn't too sure if I was telling the truth or not. (I was lying through my teeth but I thought it would be funny to see him go and try to pick up these chicks who had no idea who he is or where he came from.) Next thing you know we watch my buddy go up to the bar and sit next to one of them. He must have been talking to them for a few minutes and he goes and tries to put his hand on top of her thigh. It immediately gets pushed off. He tries again a few more minutes later and his hand gets pushed off her thigh once again. At this point my cousin and I are crying laughing. Next thing you know the girl is laughing and having a good time with my buddy. He doesn't say a word to us as they get up and leave together. My cousin and I are like WTF just happened? Wait, did I seriously just hook these two up together? Did this just backfire? 

My cousin and I go back to the hotel and pass out. Next thing you know it's like 6:30am and my buddy comes crashing through the hotel door. He can hardly recall what happened a few hours earlier. All he can recall was him leaving the bar and this chick buying him a hotdog at a hotdog stand because when he left with her he never closed out his tab at the bar and the bar still had his credit card. He went back to her apartment. Next thing you know he has to sneak out of her place that morning but he has no idea where he is or how far he is away. I'm almost positive he had to ask for some cash from her to catch a cab as he didn't have his wallet. 

I guess I don't know the point of this story is but you might have a good ole time at Timithy O'Toole's if you're not careful! 
    Sounds about right. During football season that is the place to be. They have one of my favorite bloody bars in the city plus when the bears are home they have a pretailgate party then take a couple bus loads of people down to Soldier for tailgating. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Any of Rick Bayless places or if you want something fancy and special NOBU curated meal. Would have to leave river north for NOBU. So many great choices, enjoy. 
  • Alinea. One of 13 Michelin 3 star restaurants in the US. Absolutely incredible food and presentation
  • poster
    kl8ton said:
    IMTS? 
    Yes
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,807
    You woudn't think it, but Timothy O'Tooles used to have one of the best scotch selections in that part of town. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    Alinea. One of 13 Michelin 3 star restaurants in the US. Absolutely incredible food and presentation

I love Alinea.
    NOLA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Agree with the Rick Bayless rec.  I had a great meal at Girl and Goat last time I was there, everything was good, but the pig face was phenomenal.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• saluki2007
    Any of Rick Bayless places or if you want something fancy and special NOBU curated meal. Would have to leave river north for NOBU. So many great choices, enjoy. 
    We went to Blanca Cruz this weekend and found out he is no longer a part of the restaurant.  Apparently he and his partner had a falling out. Not sure if he got out of the group entirely or just a few restaurants. That said the food and service were not nearly as good as it used to be. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    caliking said:
    You woudn't think it, but Timothy O'Tooles used to have one of the best scotch selections in that part of town. 
    They also have a very good Belgian beer selection.

Agree with Purple Pig.

Lou Malnati's is a good choice if you're looking for a deep dish pizza.

Three Dots and a Dash is a great place after dinner.  It's a speakeasy Tiki bar.  Order the shotsapus.  Thank me later.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    Oh yeah.  After they kick you out of Three Dots and a Dash at closing time, get a cab/Uber to The Green Mill jazz club and just listen to whoever is jamming there.  Among the best music I've ever heard and I don't even like jazz that much.

But don't plan on working the next day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Love the purple pig. All locals, strong drinks, james beard award winning gastro pub. Get the duck. Trust me. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • poster
    The Purple Pig was awesome. Tried a few different things and it was all amazing especially the duck and tuna 

• Wear a bullet resistant vest.  For some reason the super strict gun laws don’t work very well in that Dem run sh*thole. 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Wear a bullet resistant vest.  For some reason the super strict gun laws don’t work very well in that Dem run sh*thole. 
    I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
  • poster
    Wear a bullet resistant vest.  For some reason the super strict gun laws don’t work very well in that Dem run sh*thole. 
    I don't know, I was just in the downtown core (no reason to leave) and we all were pretty impressed how clean it was. Never felt unsafe. This was my 6th time there. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Wear a bullet resistant vest.  For some reason the super strict gun laws don’t work very well in that Dem run sh*thole. 
    You're referring to all the guns that come in from Indiana? I think they give them away with Happy Meals.

Anyway, Chicago has a nasty gang problem. Nasty. Been that way for decades.

Not sure what the solution is, and I will concede that the city doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on it.

But I lived there for 10 years and really never felt unsafe unless I was in the "wrong" part of town when my job required it, or I was out on the streets at 2 AM. 

I had more trouble with drunk DePaul kids than gangbangers to be honest. 

And, again, the city has issues, and the politicians make strange decisions that I didn't (and still don't) agree with. But I personally think it's one of the best cities in America. We just got weary of winter and moved back to ATX.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • buzd504
    Interesting podcast episode that talks a little about Chicago-style (southside) BBQ.

NOLA
  • Gene and Georgetti's for best steaks  $$$$ but worth it.  one of the best rated steak houses in USA
  • poster said:
    The Purple Pig was awesome. Tried a few different things and it was all amazing especially the duck and tuna 

Glad you enjoyed it. I loved it and will go back every time I'm in town. That duck is something special. Sous Vide, then deep fried. Yes please. I'm always looking for local spots that aren't in the "best of" tourist lists. This is one of the best I have found anywhere.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX