Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Homemade Hot Sauces - OT

Options
Stupid upside down hot sauce pictures.. :/Greetings friends!

my job as a server in a medium fancy restaurant gets me people from all over the world that bring me cool ideas and inspirations. 

This pharmacist and his wife from Charleston were in the other day. He brews beer. Peddles pills. And is big into the homemade hot sauce scene. 

I’d been wanting to partake. 
In the hot sauce scene… not the pills.. um..

ANYWAY

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/garlic-habanero-hot-sauce/#

I followed his starter recipe recommendation to the letter. One each with red, green, and then orange habaneros. That’s also the order of how spicy each jibe came out. Also used the opportunity to sort of “season” the new grill grate and blackstone 17” tabletop. Loving that setup..

there’s a bag of anchos in that cart. Our local “super G” ethic warehouse has maybe hundreds of peppers, fresh and dried, to experiment with. 

8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Looks and sounds fantastic Damien. Long time no see. We need to correct that
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Very nice.   I make my own also.   Always interesting when I make it to see how hot it will be.    
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I made a very similar recipe to this a few weeks ago when my neighbor loaded me up with habaneros.  I used my home grown garlic. It was tasty and fun to make but honestly I'm not sure what to use it on lol. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Looks Killer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I’m thinking of banging out a red jalapeño sauce next, just to see the color. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Looks and sounds fantastic Damien. Long time no see. We need to correct that
    I’ll text you in the morning for lunch, my friend! :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    stv8r said:
    I made a very similar recipe to this a few weeks ago when my neighbor loaded me up with habaneros.  I used my home grown garlic. It was tasty and fun to make but honestly I'm not sure what to use it on lol. 
    This one is REALLY mild, but fantastic flavor. I can get frustrated with heat “just for heat” sake. That’s why I started with this particular recipe. 

Love to hear your primer on home grown garlic. I know the season is coming up…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've made some hot sauces, and one that I really liked was sort of a clone of a Marie Sharp's sauce with habaneros, lacto-fermented garlic, and some carrots in the mix. 

Check out the lactofermentation thread for awesome tips, especially from @lkapigian 's posts. Very easy to do. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love hot sauce!  Looks fantastic Damien!
    Options
    Just this afternoon Rick Bayless released a video on a similar recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2FkoE7A-U4

My hot sauce efforts so far have been less than stellar, but I'm willing to give them a try again; think I need to have those fancy flip-top bottles...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I used to be a real hot sauce nut. I guess I overdid it as my digestive tract rebelled. My gastroenterologist suggested giving up hot peppers and caffeine. Fast forward 15 years and I’m enjoying hem again, in limited amounts. I really like Sriracha. Making my own doesn’t really make much sense with my limited consumption. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Did a double pepper (EX) orange habanero and a no heat ancho sauce today. Ran out of bottles. 

The orange, versus the green and the red sauces, was the highest reviewed of the previous batch. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    It’s absurd I cant share a pic right side up…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:
    This one is REALLY mild, but fantastic flavor. I can get frustrated with heat “just for heat” sake. That’s why I started with this particular recipe. 

It was so easy.  A co-worker clued me in.  I just took a head of garlic and broke it down into individual cloves leaving the paper covering on. Push them a few inches into the soil about six weeks before the soil freezes (November for me).  That's it.  They will sprout and grow a few inches over the winter then just sit back and wait.  Takes about 8-9 months to grow fully and they are ready to harvest when about half the green sprout leaves have shriveled up.  Then hang up to dry
    for about a month and they are just like you'd buy in the store except better lol.  
    There’s a local “hydroponic” store that is selling boutique garlic, onion, etc for planting. I’m excited!

any special soil preparation?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    stv8r said:
    stv8r said:

It was so easy.  A co-worker clued me in.  I just took a head of garlic and broke it down into individual cloves leaving the paper covering on. Push them a few inches into the soil about six weeks before the soil freezes (November for me).  That's it.  They will sprout and grow a few inches over the winter then just sit back and wait.  Takes about 8-9 months to grow fully and they are ready to harvest when about half the green sprout leaves have shriveled up.  Then hang up to dry
    for about a month and they are just like you'd buy in the store except better lol.  
    There’s a local “hydroponic” store that is selling boutique garlic, onion, etc for planting. I’m excited!

any special soil preparation?
    Nope, just used the same "container soil" I bought at Costco after growing my tomatoes and peppers that season.  I did notice it was a very light mix when put on a shovel

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Frickity frack 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel if you are on a mobile phone, edit the picture.  Any edit will do, then it will post correctly.  No idea why, but it works for me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin