Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work brisket competition

124»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Thanks for the follow-up and for putting yourself out there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    lousubcap said:
    The point is usually a winner in non competition cooks simply because of the texture and flavour (nod).  The higher fat content gives more latitude in the finish window.  FWIW-
    That’s a good point. I used to always specify that I wanted a point when ordering from the farm but this time I figured I’d be cool with either way. I did like how my buddies had more of the fat mixed throughout rather than a thick cap on one side. It was funny though, trying both side-by-side mine seemed like it was juicier and more tender But I think people liked the look of the point more because it looked more like a chuck roast or prime rib.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Thanks for sharing! Brisket is an unpredictable animal and you tangled with it! Bravo! I love threads like this!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    I cook flats at higher temp with a really high amount of wood smoke. It's more like steak but it passes new England standards, there's no understanding of Texas brisket here.  It just might be your audience 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    im still having difficulties wrapping my head around reheating in a crock =)
    Since it was smoked to 160+ only, imo crock completed the cooking, more than just reheating. Fwiw that’s similar to how I do Montreal smoked meat - smoke to 165ish day(s) prior, gently steam about 3 hours till IT 200ish to serve.
    canuckland
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Sounded like a close competition with two great entries.
  • Powak
    I cook flats at higher temp with a really high amount of wood smoke. It's more like steak but it passes new England standards, there's no understanding of Texas brisket here.  It just might be your audience 
    I think you nailed it on the head here. My buddy who competed with me said even he preferred my brisket to his own. Said mine was straight up brisket and his was less cooked and more like the texture of corned beef.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im still having difficulties wrapping my head around reheating in a crock =)
    Since it was smoked to 160+ only, imo crock completed the cooking, more than just reheating. Fwiw that’s similar to how I do Montreal smoked meat - smoke to 165ish day(s) prior, gently steam about 3 hours till IT 200ish to serve.

i do similar with pastrami except its finished in a pressure cooker with steam. not looking for crunchy bark with deli style sandwich meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @Powak #1 rule for comps.  Always test and perfect methods before the comp.  If you really want to win next tIme smoke a full prime or Wagyu packer and plan your cook so you can take it directly out of the ice chest and slice and serve.  No crockpot!!
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Powak
    @Powak #1 rule for comps.  Always test and perfect methods before the comp.  If you really want to win next tIme smoke a full prime or Wagyu packer and plan your cook so you can take it directly out of the ice chest and slice and serve.  No crockpot!!
    Definitely my next plan. Especially one of those SRF Black briskets. I kinda knew the crock pot was a chance taken as was cuttin a hunk off before the show, but the fat on top next time is the only thing in questioning.
  • RyanStl
    I have always done fat on top, but didn't really think it was all that critical. I also heavily trim the fat cap
  • Powak
    RyanStl said:
    I have always done fat on top, but didn't really think it was all that critical. I also heavily trim the fat cap
    In the past I always cooked with the fat on top, didn’t do any trimming or wrapping and the fat would be amazing. Like beef bacon.
  • RyanStl
    My kids complain if meat is too fatty, so I trim a lot. My dogs do not complain 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Powak said:
    RyanStl said:
    In the past I always cooked with the fat on top, didn’t do any trimming or wrapping and the fat would be amazing. Like beef bacon.
    That’s a whole new can of worms. But I go fat cap up on my offset and cap down on my Eggs.  Because they hold so much moisture, I like to trim tighter to get more crust.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powak
    Aight a buddy at work liked my brisket so much he’s having me smoke a little 5 pound flat for his birthday party. I’ve never done one this small. Should I wrap it or do small flats not need that?
  • Photo Egg
    Powak said:
    Aight a buddy at work liked my brisket so much he’s having me smoke a little 5 pound flat for his birthday party. I’ve never done one this small. Should I wrap it or do small flats not need that?
    I would definitely wrap it at the stall with a little beef broth or better than bouillon mixed with a little water or apple juice. 
    Would have been better to start with a full brisket and just cut him off a chunk.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powak
    Photo Egg said:
    Powak said:
    I would definitely wrap it at the stall with a little beef broth or better than bouillon mixed with a little water or apple juice. 
    Would have been better to start with a full brisket and just cut him off a chunk.
    Totally agree. Would injecting help with a little guy like that?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    It won't hurt it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Powak
    Do you wanna run those little guys turbo? Get more bark quick?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I always (like forever) shy away from turbo, especially with a flat.  The lean makeup is not conducive to hot and fast on a relative scale.  You cooked a flat for the cook-off, trust the process then and what you learned to adjust for this one.  No need to reinvent the wheel.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg said:
    Powak said:
    I now inject with vegetable broth before I start the cook, and then again just before I wrap ... beef broth I find turns the brisket too salty. But of course, you could try no salt beef broth ... I experimented with low salt beef broth, and didn't like how salty it turned out.  The vegetable broth tasted WAY better.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    lousubcap said:
    I always (like forever) shy away from turbo, especially with a flat.  The lean makeup is not conducive to hot and fast on a relative scale.  You cooked a flat for the cook-off, trust the process then and what you learned to adjust for this one.  No need to reinvent the wheel.  FWIW-
    Totally agree with this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Photo Egg said:
    Powak said:
    I now inject with vegetable broth before I start the cook, and then again just before I wrap ... beef broth I find turns the brisket too salty. But of course, you could try no salt beef broth ... I experimented with low salt beef broth, and didn't like how salty it turned out.  The vegetable broth tasted WAY better.
    I don;t inject often, used to use stock, but once I started using an injection with phosphates , it is all I use ( when I inject ) Typically I inject Chuck Rolls , which I do a lot of, they tend to be a 24 hour cook 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Powak said:
    I don;t inject often, used to use stock, but once I started using an injection with phosphates , it is all I use ( when I inject ) Typically I inject Chuck Rolls , which I do a lot of, they tend to be a 24 hour cook 
    Yep, the commercial injections contain phosphates and are like magic when it comes to moisture retention. More expensive, maybe. Demonstrably better results, absolutely. 
  • Photo Egg
    Powak said:
    My buddy came in yesterday and said that was the best brisket he’s had in his entire life. I’ve returned to binding with mustard and using Denny Mikes multipurpose rub. Injected with Kosmos Q brisket reverse blend mixed with water. Wrapped at 170 in butcher paper and then wrapped over that with foil at 175 to finish it up quick. Loving the results. Thinking I’d like to try injecting and doing no wrap during the cook, just wrapping for FTC for an extra chance at even more bark. These pics were taken at wrap time.

Looks fantastic!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pook
    Pook Posts: 43
    I don’t want to offend anyone but I also just have to tell the truth. I tried the vinegar and sugar slurry recommended on this thread on some ribs last night and they went straight into the trash. Maybe I didn’t use the right kind of vinegar (just regular vinegar) but my daughter wouldn’t even take a bite of them they smelled so bad. I took one bite and wished I hadn’t. The meat was just nasty too. Super mushy. We had to call out for pizza after 6 hours of smoking ribs.