Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Critter Cam

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Yotes killed 4 of my buddies sheep last night 
    Get your buddy a donkey.  They are great herd protectors.  They will stomp a 'yote to death.

Edit:. Looks like I am late to the party as usual.

moose would be better, they hate anything that looks canine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Donkeys are good deterrents.  @TechsasJim has the answer too.  Coyotes can read havoc.

2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  • wwinnc said:
    Donkeys are good deterrents.  @TechsasJim has the answer too.  Coyotes can read havoc.

They can read now? We are doomed :)

my ranch neighbor has zebras out with her cows. Way more angry and deadly than donkeys. A zebra will eff you up if they want to. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Get some llamas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Legume said:
    Get some llamas
    They spit, if their morning coffee's cold.  It ain't pleasant.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Legume said:
    Get some llamas
    Aren’t they hard to feed?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hogs broke through my rocks. I have a 2000 lb rock I dug up a few weeks ago looking for a home. This is war. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Sounds like an evening hunt is in order.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My 2 sons and I love to hunt. We eat what we kill. Between my family, my adult son and his family, and my parents we can eat 4-5 deer a year. I’d love to live on a property with an endless supply. I am glad that wild hogs haven’t made it to our part of the state yet. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2022
    Btw- for those scoring the guy above i(if it’s the one I think it is) s 22 points and 5 years old. He’s a baby. He’s the only one strictly off limits for a few more years. We have 4-5 16 point and above bucks- all 5-6 years old which is not a fully mature deer. These guys have a few years left to fill out.  You can see how lean his body is and how thin his neck is. A mature buck will have a “beer belly” and much thicker neck from the shoulders up 
  •  What’s his name?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Great thread - what a beautiful property you have! Thanks for sharing all the pics and info! Keep it coming and watch out for those smart donkeys!  :):):)
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  •  What’s his name?
    Pork chop
  • wwinnc said:
    Great thread - what a beautiful property you have! Thanks for sharing all the pics and info! Keep it coming and watch out for those smart donkeys!  :):):)
    Thanks. We have really enjoyed having it and all the critters within. It’s a pretty cool life out here. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    I am pretty sure a 3 and a half year old white tail is mature. Not sure where you guys are getting you information. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• EGGjlmh said:
    I am pretty sure a 3 and a half year old white tail is mature. Not sure where you guys are getting you information. 
    From the biologists we use to manage our land. Im sure you are smarter than them though. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hogs broke through my rocks. I have a 2000 lb rock I dug up a few weeks ago looking for a home. This is war. 
    Drop it on 'em. Problem solved.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    Or just invite some good friends over to eliminate the problem. 
  • EGGjlmh
    Wow,, you are saying the 5 to 6 year old bucks still have a few more years until they are mature. I am not sure what to say to that. 

Just ask any whitetail hunter their opinion. Don't take my word for it, apparently you dont like me anyway. 

• Wow indeed!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2022
    EGGjlmh said:
    Wow,, you are saying the 5 to 6 year old bucks still have a few more years until they are mature. I am not sure what to say to that. 

Just ask any whitetail hunter their opinion. Don't take my word for it, apparently you dont like me anyway. 
    You actually said a 3.5yo whitetail is mature. That is actually accurate in a way a 12-15 year old human is mature. If you are sitting out in the wild shooting deer on public lands, taking a 3.5 year old buck would be acceptable. The reason people do that is because if you don’t shoot them today, someone will tomorrow. That said, if you think a 3.5 y/o deer looks anything remotely like my 6-7 y/o deer, I think it would be fair to ask you where you are getting your information from. My 6-7 y/o bucks weigh 50 lbs more than their 3.5 year old selfs and their antlers are 75% larger and thicker. this is all confirmed by the biologists we have working with us via camera and physical surveys of our herd. 

Ask any whitetail hunter their opinion??! Are you kidding me?  I live this every day while you jerk off to deer hunting YouTube videos.  we took more deer from my land last year than you and your entire family have taken in a decade -we shot 65 deer last year and will shoot 50 more this year.   

I actually despise high fenced/breeder deer hunts, which is why we are taking so many deer now. We are moving our land back to natural. That said, don’t tell me a 7 year old buck is the same as a 3 year old buck. 

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2022
    I bow hunted trophy whitetail for many years (as well as KS mule deer).  Also was president of Northwest Kansas Bowhunters Association.  And operated a 10 acre 3D archery club with monthly tournaments. And taught a bowhunters class for the wildlife dept.  So I am familiar with the subject, as we have the best beards I the states.

A trophy buck in KS wii be 5+ years old, grey in color, and a potbelly with lots of points (typical) or lots of sticker points (non-topical). They don’t usually live much longer than 6, due to firearms season.  The only reason bowhunters harvest the monsters is because we can hunt during the rut.  Most of my trophy bucks were shot between Oct 31 and Nov 6. They are peaking at 5, and in decline by age 6. Their teeth are also very worn after their 5th year. Yes I did assist their antler growth by planting good food plots and mineral blocks, but a Kansas deer already has the best trophy genetics inbread in their genes. 
  • I bow hunted trophy whitetail for many years (as well as KS mule deer).  Also was president of Northwest Kansas Bowhunters Association.  And operated a 10 acre 3D archery club with monthly tournaments. And taught a bowhunters class for the wildlife dept.  So I am familiar with the subject, as we have the best trophy bucks in the US in our backyards. 
    A trophy buck in KS wii be 5+ years old, grey in color, and a potbelly with lots of points (typical) or lots of sticker points (non-topical). They don’t usually live much longer than 6, due to firearms season.  The only reason bowhunters harvest the monsters is because we can hunt during the rut.  Most of my trophy bucks were shot between Oct 31 and Nov 6. They are peaking at 5, and in decline by age 6. Their teeth are also very worn after their 5th year. Yes I did assist their antler growth by planting good food plots and mineral blocks, but a Kansas deer already has the best trophy genetics inbread in their genes. 
    Im sure the boys at corporate are super proud, Bob. I fed my herd at 5:30m this morning before heading out to the airport for my day job for a few days. Im pretty In Tune with their health and age. i feed them personally twice a week and maintain cameras and use biologists surveys. Im not the president of my ranch but I am a humble manager of the animals I have under fence. 

• EGGjlmh
    Wow, I am impressed. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    EGGjlmh said:

You actually said a 3.5yo whitetail is mature. That is actually accurate in a way a 12-15 year old human is mature. If you are sitting out in the wild shooting deer on public lands, taking a 3.5 year old buck would be acceptable. The reason people do that is because if you don’t shoot them today, someone will tomorrow. That said, if you think a 3.5 y/o deer looks anything remotely like my 6-7 y/o deer, I think it would be fair to ask you where you are getting your information from. My 6-7 y/o bucks weigh 50 lbs more than their 3.5 year old selfs and their antlers are 75% larger and thicker. this is all confirmed by the biologists we have working with us via camera and physical surveys of our herd. 

Ask any whitetail hunter their opinion??! Are you kidding me?  I live this every day while you jerk off to deer hunting YouTube videos.  we took more deer from my land last year than you and your entire family have taken in a decade -we shot 65 deer last year and will shoot 50 more this year.   

I actually despise high fenced/breeder deer hunts, which is why we are taking so many deer now. We are moving our land back to natural. That said, don’t tell me a 7 year old buck is the same as a 3 year old buck. 

Dude's gonna need a salve for that burn.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Fwiw, a quick google search revealed that “Deer living in captivity, afforded protection and good nutrition, will commonly live 15 to 20 years,” writes James Heffelfinger in his book “Deer of the Southwest.”

While googling about wild deer "Most white-tailed deer live about 2 to 3 years. Maximum life span in the wild is 20 years but few live past 10 years old."

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    CenTex is spot on.   I’ve been in the space a while, have multiple friends in his space.   He is doing the right thing having the state involved and if there is one thing Texas does very well is help manage game.   
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
     if there is one thing Texas does very well is help manage game.   
    Unless it's the Cowboys...(ducks and scampers away.)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL