Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three hour brisket??

Sorry for the teaser title. I didn't cook this and I have no photos. But last Sunday evening I went to a BBQ for a large crowd of 60ish. After we ate it was revealed that the cook was in the group. An award winning competition BBQ chef who cooked the brisket, chicken wings, spare ribs, and baby backs. 

Earlier I had already looked at the wife and she gave me the "this is dry as hell" look that I've seen before. I asked the chef how long he cooked the brisket. He proudly proclaimed "I've never cooked a brisket more than 3 hours, it doesn't need any more". He had trimmed all the fat off and turboed these things. I even asked "you don't go low and slow" and he said "hell no". 

The food was "good" not great. His homemade desserts were the bomb. Have any of you brisket dudes ever heard of this? Apparently he has won numerous medals across the US for his BBQ. But I like my moist brisket much better than his. To each his own. 
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• No way! Ridiculous!
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  • That seems like a very strange position to take on brisket, especially for someone in the BBQ world.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    Did they say what kind of “ award winning” , Participation Awards don’t count LoL… there is a happy medium between low and slow, but unless the brisket was 3 pounds,, not enough time to properly and thoroughly breakdown collagen 

but that’s just me, everyone has there way, I like ultra low and slow, 200-212 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,594
    No brisket guru here but to cook any weight brisket to a tender finish is gonna take longer than three hours.  Fat rendering will be severely limited but if you remove the fat on the front end...
    Rib texture would be another indicator of the cook process.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    I caught two episodes of some cooking contest show, where the contestants (two teams of 5 or 6, "local" experts) were coached by cooking show "superstars" (blech), with a 5-hour cooking period.  Lots of ridiculous ingredients and team trading.  
    One of the team members really wanted to cook a brisket, in 5 hours, and gave it a go.  He got it to temp within 5 hours, but according to the "superstars" (blech) it was shoe leather.  

And that was 5 hours.  Not 3.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    edited September 2022
    lousubcap said:
    No brisket guru here but to cook any weight brisket to a tender finish is gonna take longer than three hours.  Fat rendering will be severely limited but if you remove the fat on the front end...
    Rib texture would be another indicator of the cook process.  
    LoL, you a funny man @lousubcap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    I’m sure Instapot can crank one out in under three hours easily 🤣
    canuckland
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 398
    3 hours is just wrong, I do the turbo brisket method myself and it takes me 8 hours for a 21lbs.
  • Mr1egg said:
    3 hours is just wrong, I do the turbo brisket method myself and it takes me 8 hours for a 21lbs.
    Well maybe the chef is only cooking a 7 lb brisket.  
    Yes that is my real name.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Was it really brisket, or was it a "tri-tip"?  

I work with a guy who swears tri-tip and brisket flat is the exact same thing.  Ugh.  He cooks them the same.

But, whatever it was, I bet it was cooked to 160°F IT.  

Brisket cooked that long wouldn't necessarily be dry, it would be tough, right?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    edited September 2022
    A huge number of people I have met when competing were doing a turbo brisket <6 hours. Because of sleep and time constraints. I've eaten them and they are in fact great. I could never pull it off consistently though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,218
    The most overrated brisket in Tx (Kruetz Market in Lockhart) is cooked at 600 degrees for 4 hours. It is dreadful. 

This place was on food network and all the other “best of” shows and lists for years. Until Aaron Franklin came along and punched them all in the nuts. 
    I'm glad we went to Black's instead. The food was glorious. Between Black's and Smitty's, the whole downtown smelled wonderful.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Teefus said:
    The most overrated brisket in Tx (Kruetz Market in Lockhart) is cooked at 600 degrees for 4 hours. It is dreadful. 

This place was on food network and all the other “best of” shows and lists for years. Until Aaron Franklin came along and punched them all in the nuts. 
    I'm glad we went to Black's instead. The food was glorious. Between Black's and Smitty's, the whole downtown smelled wonderful.
    Those are the 2 best in that town for sure. Although Smittys and Kruetz are the same family (not reunited after a nasty feud), the current location of Smittys was the original Kruetz Market.  the old man died and the kids feuded over the business. One kid got the name, the other got the building. The one who got the name moved up the street and opened Kruetz in the current location. They changed the name of the old location the Smitty’s (the old man’s name). Kruetz was never any good but they still got all the accolades because of the name. People have pretty much figured it out now. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Just did a 14lb at 230f took 14 hours
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Yeah I  agree with yall. It was definitely a brisket and it wasn't terrible, not great either. So he was either fibbing or got lucky or something. I'll stick to my "turbo" method of wrapping at the right time and finishing them in 8 to 10 hrs. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA