Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work brisket competition

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Me and a couple other fellas at work are planning a brisket smoke off. These guys are just getting into briskets and love messing with butcher paper and temperature increase cooks. They’ve also been talking about applying rubs with no binders and if using a binder using olive oil instead of mustard. I wanna rock their socks off with a fork tender brisket point. I’ve cooked briskets 3 ways: straight 250 all day - no wrap, 250-275, wrap in tinfoil with a little coffee when the internal hits 165 and I’ve done a mickeys turbo brisket. All 3 ways yielding great results especially the 250 all day - no wrap and the turbo. I’ve also had the best luck with 10-14lb packers. This cook I’m going to be using roughly a 6-7lb point. Any suggestions for which way i should go to turn out a fork-tender slicer?

Comments

• AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options
    Have you heard about the Travis method?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you planning a test cook prior to the event?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Rub binders on brisket?    I’m from Texas and that isn’t a thing.   Salt and pepper and done.   

Since you’re using the point for this it should be great at a 250* cook.   

Just my thoughts.   I did one recently and it was fork tender    

Let us know which route you go and how it works out—best of luck!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    burnt ends ok in the contest?

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Use a hot sauce or some of that hot “W” sauce as a binder in lieu of mustard. It won’t be spicy per se but the flavors will remain. It is all the rage now to go above 300 at least at the front end which contracts the long muscle strands in the flat resulting in a dramatically plumped up brisket. Some just rock on at the high temp while I’ve seen others lower it back to the 250-275 range. Not sure I’d do this method without at least one or two practices to gauge the timing. Obviously, I’d go fat cap down on an egg if doing that hot and fast method. If the top gets a little firm, you can soften it back to normal in a wrap. I would definitely wrap any competition brisket. Lots are doing tallow in the butcher paper and now I see them doing rendered bone marrow. I would also inject with a commercial injection(butchers,Kosmos , etc). Allow for a healthy rest (couple hours). Buy a prime or better. Just be aware it will finish faster than a choice. 

not very old school but one bite bbq. 

P.S. I’ve heard that most all the famous BBQ joints in Texas use more than salt and pepper even if they claim otherwise. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have not tried this…
    But for my next brisket point, I was planning on smoking the point at 250 till temp starts rising after the stall. It should have a good bark by then and rendered much of the fat. Then wrap with standard thickness bacon with more seasoning and continue cooking at 275 till probe tender and bacon looks good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have not tried this…
    But for my next brisket point, I was planning on smoking the point at 250 till temp starts rising after the stall. It should have a good bark by then and rendered much of the fat. Then wrap with standard thickness bacon with more seasoning and continue cooking at 275 till probe tender and bacon looks good.
    Soooooo... exactly when are you planning on trying this? Ya know, in case you need some eating help =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    It sounds like a fun competition. I'm far and I mean far from knowing what I'm doing with a brisket. I'd probably stay away from foil especially after you've set your bark. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Powak
    Options
    I have not! What’s that?
  • Powak
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    It sounds like a fun competition. I'm far and I mean far from knowing what I'm doing with a brisket. I'd probably stay away from foil especially after you've set your bark. 

My only gripe with foil is I’ve found myself more often than not foiling too early even if the bark looks perfect winding up with a brisket without as much bark as I’d like. But they’ve always turned out juicy and tender when I’ve foiled.
  • Powak
    Options
    Rub binders on brisket?    I’m from Texas and that isn’t a thing.   Salt and pepper and done.   

Do you think injecting’s necessary? And if I did could I do that too without wrapping?
  • AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options
    Powak said:
    I have not! What’s that?
    It’s how he does it.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Inject FTW.  Wrap at 160°F IT.  Start probing when it hits 190°F IT.  When it is done, it is done.  Buy the best brisket you can afford.  

Your buddies will never cook another brisket, they will just pay you to do it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    For competition you want to be careful as can be. I would inject, go low and slow, wrap, and rest.  I've never seen the need for a binder. Rub sticks without it 
  • RyanStl
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I would also do a full packer which will give you the best shot of selecting the best to enter for judging. Don't forget to get a high quality cut.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Powak said:

Do you think injecting’s necessary? And if I did could I do that too without wrapping?
    I have never injected a brisket either.   I do make sure to keep the brisket out and is as close to room temp as
    possible before I put it on.   

I do not wrap in butcher paper but I do wrap in Saran Wrap and put in a cooler full of towels pillows after it hits temp/toothpick.  Let it hang out there for an hour or two.   Meat butter
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Powak
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Inject FTW.  Wrap at 160°F IT.  Start probing when it hits 190°F IT.  When it is done, it is done.  Buy the best brisket you can afford.  

THAT’S what I’m talkin about!! When you inject do you apply rub too? And can you wrap with tinfoil or is butcher paper only?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    When you wrap in butcher paper, your bark will not develop any further but will not soften - and moisture gets preserved in the meat.  When you wrap in foil, the bark softens.  That's why I prefer to wrap in butcher paper.

I agree with doing a whole packer from a high quality source (prime, certified angus, or wagyu).  The angus has become my favorite of those actually as it has more flavor.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    Don’t try something you’ve never done for a comp ( or for company ), not the place for trial and error , a practice run ( or two or three) is in order for new things ….a “ peoples choice” comp is fun and forgiving and you will be judged not on 1 bite but what you could make a meal of….wrap when bark is set, not by temp…don’t spritz until set as you will wash out seasoning ( I almost never spritz) MSG is your friend…..basic stuff for all protein and cook offs 

my weekend cooks are always “ Practice “
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Powak
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    When you wrap in butcher paper, your bark will not develop any further but will not soften - and moisture gets preserved in the meat.  When you wrap in foil, the bark softens.  That's why I prefer to wrap in butcher paper.

I agree with doing a whole packer from a high quality source (prime, certified angus, or wagyu).  The angus has become my favorite of those actually as it has more flavor.
    AH!! That’s why then. Is butcher paper applicable to turbo briskets too? Or is that just for tinfoil?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Powak said:
    Foghorn said:

AH!! That’s why then. Is butcher paper applicable to turbo briskets too? Or is that just for tinfoil?
    I would think it would work at any temperature at which it doesn't catch fire.  I've used it as high as 325 - but not by design.  The temp just got away from me...

I didn't know what temp would burn butcher paper - so I googled and it seems to be in the 450-500 range.  But I have never - by design - cooked a brisket at anything over 290 so I'm ignorant about turbo brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Powak said:
    Foghorn said:

Butcher paper will help your brisket breathe during the cook. 

Worth a watch. He does a good job explaining the 3 different techniques with a brisket. 

https://youtu.be/_Ldg73DumjI
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Ask a brisket question here and you'll get a hundred different answers. LOL

My advice, after you decide your method, practice it a couple of times before hand.

And just because nobody has mentioned it and to throw one more out there to make it more confusing, try the foil boat method. (Look for Chud's BBQ on YouTube.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RyanStl
    Options
    Griffin said:

My advice, after you decide your method, practice it a couple of times before hand.

And just because nobody has mentioned it and to throw one more out there to make it more confusing, try the foil boat method. (Look for Chud's BBQ on YouTube.
    Because there really isn't a right way, just the way you like.

About the question do you use rub if you inject. Answer is yes, they are independent. However, I would rub after injection because if you are like me you will get the injection everywhere 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    The one thing I added to my recipe (based on the advice of others here) that made a HUGE difference.  I reinjected with broth prior to the foil wrap (when it hit 160F) ... normally I inject broth prior to the cook, and I did that ... but that second reinjection before the foil wrap ... holy smokes did it come out tender and juicy ... everyone who ate it couldn't believe the taste and tenderness.

One thing though, I have found beef broth to turn the brisket too salty ... so I have now switched to vegetable broth ... and it is PERFECT. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Powak said:
    Langner91 said:

THAT’S what I’m talkin about!! When you inject do you apply rub too? And can you wrap with tinfoil or is butcher paper only?
    I inject with LOW SODIUM beef broth, and still salt and pepper for rub as normal.

I use aluminum foil.  The bark is a little softer, obviously, but "bark" isn't my favorite part of the brisket, anyway.

Good luck!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    This is gonna sound stupid to some, but I’ve had great luck and lots of compliments when I paint the brisket with a vinegar and sugar slurry as I wrap it.  The fat and juices melt into the slurry and it all gives you a bbq sauce-like bark that is incredible.  Don’t cook above 275 and unwrap and set the bark at the end, like is done with 321 ribs.
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 380
    Options
    Griffin said:

+1 for foil boat. For me it produces the best product and it is extremely consistent. Once I started doing the foil boat I have nailed every cook whereas before it was hit or miss.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    Legume said:
    This is gonna sound stupid to some, but I’ve had great luck and lots of compliments when I paint the brisket with a vinegar and sugar slurry as I wrap it.  The fat and juices melt into the slurry and it all gives you a bbq sauce-like bark that is incredible.  Don’t cook above 275 and unwrap and set the bark at the end, like is done with 321 ribs.
    Interesting 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian