Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: WW2 movies

I’ve been thinking of my favorite WW2 movies and I’m stumped on the one I recall that has an army group
retreating from the the Japs to a hill where they then have a last stand before being rescued.
I thought it it was merrils marauders but no that wan’t it. What do you think?

aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    The Mountain Road starring Jimmy Stewart.

My favorite is "The Great Escape" starring Steve McQueen and James Garner.  It takes place at the POW camp in Sagan, Germany, which is where my father was born.  It is based upon a true story and he was a young boy when it happened.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • So many great stories about the greatest generation.  

The Longest Day - too many great stars to list
    The Enemy Below - Subchaser movie with Robert Mitchum
    The Dirty Dozen - Lee Marvin and more great stars
    Guns of Navarone - Gregory Peck and it’s quoted in Pulp Fiction 🤣
    Pork Chop Hill - Korean War but another Great War movie with Gregory Peck
    Attack - Infantry movie with Jack Palance
    Hell is for Heroes - Steve McQueen. 
    Band of Brothers - Miniseries but is likely the most historically accurate of this list. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    So many great stories about the greatest generation.  

Band of Brothers - Miniseries but is likely the most historically accurate of this list. 

Good list there, I'd add Saving Private Ryan to it.
    On the lighter side, Kelly's Heroes worth a look.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dbCooper said:
    So many great stories about the greatest generation.  

Good list there, I'd add Saving Private Ryan to it.
    On the lighter side, Kelly's Heroes worth a look.
    Love Kelly’s Heroes, I have it on the DVR. SPR  has great action but I don’t love the whole story.
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Don’t forget Tora, Tora,Tora.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    No "Patton" or "Das Boot" mentions? Ok, I get it...so many good choices available but not yet a single John Wayne movie?
    That's kinda un-American! :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Thin Red Line

Flags of Our Fathers

The Bridge On the River Kwai

Unbroken 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Love this thread.   My Grandparents and wife’s grandfather were in WWII.    My grandparents met in France during the war.    Grandmother was a nurse, grandfather a bomber gunner.    Wife’s grandfather a supply drop pilot in Asia/Pacific.       

Seen all those movies, many multiple times.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Since there is still no John Wayne entry I'll contribute one I like: In Harms Way
    And a movie that is way deeper than just WW2: Catch-22

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    dbCooper said:
    Since there is still no John Wayne entry I'll contribute one I like: In Harms Way
    And a movie that is way deeper than just WW2: Catch-22

Read both books, haven't seen either movie (I'm not a movie guy).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG said:
    No "Patton" or "Das Boot" mentions? Ok, I get it...so many good choices available but not yet a single John Wayne movie?

He was in the Longest Day. 👍🏻
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • All great movies mentioned here. Another Robert Mitchum movie, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison. 

A great English and German cast, The Battle of Britain and Sink the Bismarck. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Battle of the Bulge
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Langner91 said:
    The Mountain Road starring Jimmy Stewart.

My favorite is "The Great Escape" starring Steve McQueen and James Garner.  It takes place at the POW camp in Sagan, Germany, which is where my father was born.  It is based upon a true story and he was a young boy when it happened.
    Nope, I'm thinking of a jungle movie
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    Anyone have access to "Back to Bataan"?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    HeavyG said:

He was in the Longest Day. 👍🏻
    True. But I don't think anybody watches that move thinking it's a "John Wayne movie".
    Most are thinking more a Sgt. Stryker than a Colonel Vandervoort. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I remember watching a lot of these flicks with my grandpa and old man growing up. I’ve come back to several of them the last few years as I crossed the bridge into my 40’s. 

One title I haven’t seen yet, Inglorious Basterds. Not my absolute favorite, but damn close. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    The Blue Max
    Battle of Britain
    The Boer War
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    The Blue Max
    Battle of Britain
    The Boer War
    My bad my war movies are certainly not WW2 except for Battle of Britain
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    cant remember the name of the movie, but the one were hitlers dog fluffy escaped the compound and adolf thought obama ate it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • loco_engr said:
    Anyone have access to "Back to Bataan"?
    I do not. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Humphrey Bogart films
    Casablanca
    Action in the North Atlantic
    Sahara
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    loco_engr said:
    I’ve been thinking of my favorite WW2 movies and I’m stumped on the one I recall that has an army group
    retreating from the the Japs to a hill where they then have a last stand before being rescued.

Still trying to figure it out.

Objective, Burma! is another one like Merrill's Marauders.  Stars Erol Flynn.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    loco_engr said:

there was a movie/ documentary called iwo jima  the boys of H company. might be it......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dunkirk is a great movie if you haven’t seen it.  Arguably Christopher Nolan’s best film.
  • loco_engr
    edited August 2022
    Langner91 said:
    loco_engr said:

sounds promising . . . I don't want to pay $4 to watch
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective,_Burma!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Dunkirk is a great movie if you haven’t seen it.  Arguably Christopher Nolan’s best film.
    Thanks Ebert.

Watching others do the heavy lifting for our freedom, sure, that must feel patriotic.
  • loco_engr said:
    Langner91 said:
    loco_engr said:

sounds promising . . . I don't want to pay $4 to watch
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective,_Burma!
    What price freedom?
  • loco_engr
    update . . . forget my last post as I ordered a blueray version since it had enhanced video.  Getting it tomorrow, will post results
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman: