Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: WW2 movies

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Midway from 1976 and 2019.  Both versions are good.  Except if your rooting for the Imperial Japanese Navy.  How about a couple of submarine movies?  Run Silent, Run Deep and Operation Pacific. Also Das Boot is the king of WWII sub movies.  Operation Petticoat the funniest.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    Midway from 1976 and 2019.  Both versions are good.  Except if your rooting for the Imperial Japanese Navy.  How about a couple of submarine movies?  Run Silent, Run Deep and Operation Pacific. Also Das Boot is the king of WWII sub movies.  Operation Petticoat the funniest.
    Great list
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Mr_D
    Mr_D Posts: 18
    Options
    Judgement at Nuremberg 1961 Spencer Tracy
    Nuremberg 2000 Alex Baldwin

Watch the 2000 movie first that the 1961 movie
  • Mr_D
    Mr_D Posts: 18
    Options
    Toro Toro Toro 1970
    Run Silent Run Deep 1958 Bert Landcaster
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Mr_D said:
    Toro Toro Toro 1970
    Ahh yes... my favorite bullfighting flick!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Mr_D said:
    Toro Toro Toro 1970
    I thought it was a movie about the adventures in landscaping.
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Mr_D said:
    Toro Toro Toro 1970
    I thought it was a movie about the adventures in landscaping.
    You might be right since the other movie stars the gardener "Bert Landcaster" (probably riding a Toro).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    Staples over here,  usually at Christmas - oddly, are;
    • 633 Squadron about the Mosquito attack on a heavy water plant in Norway
    • Battle of Britain about the air war which prevented air superiority over the UK and so Hitler's first defeat. 
    • The Dambusters which encompasses the science, engineering and extreme determination required to conduct the raid.  What gets overlooked, in my opinion, is the indiscriminate nature or air warfare back then by both sides.
    • The Bridge over the River Kwai, which I have always found to be very tough watch.
    Honourable mentions to;  Where Eagles Dare,  Ice Cold in Alex,  Angles 15, The Great Escape, The Eagles has Landed plus various ones involving ships and water but they give me the creeps. 

My favourite is The English Patient.  By a long, long way.  Not just because Top Secret is not a WW2 film, although a bit like one. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Von Ryan's Express - read the book in Jr. HS and saw the movie a couple years later.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    when I get a bluray player tomorrow . . . I'll know if Object Burma is the one I am looking for
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • HeavyG
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    when I get a bluray player tomorrow . . . I'll know if Object Burma is the one I am looking for
    The movie plot from Wikipedia:

A group of United States Army paratroopers led by Captain Nelson are dropped into Burma to locate and destroy a camouflaged Japanese Army radar station that is detecting Allied aircraft flying into China. For their mission, they are assigned Gurkha guides, a Chinese Army Captain and an older war correspondent whose character is used to explain various procedures to the audience.

The mission is an overwhelming success as the 36-man team quickly take out the station and its personnel. But when the airborne troops arrive at an old airstrip to be taken back to their base, they find the Japanese waiting for them at their rendezvous site. Captain Nelson makes the hard decision to call off the rescue planes, and hike out on foot.

To reduce the likelihood of detection, the group then splits up into two smaller units to meet up at a deserted Burmese village. But when Nelson arrives at the meeting place, he finds that the other team had been captured, tortured and mutilated by the Japanese. Only Lt. Jacobs survives, and he too dies after telling Nelson what had happened. The surviving soldiers are then attacked and are forced again to retreat into the jungle. The men must then cross the swamps in their attempt to make it back to safety through enemy-occupied jungle.

Fighting an almost constant rearguard action, Nelson's paratroopers also succeed as decoys leading Japanese troops away from the site of the British 1944 aerial invasion of Burma.

Does that ring any more bells? In any case, enjoy the movie!

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Not a movie but band of brothers is always a go to for me.
    Dyersburg, TN