Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do w/ overcooked flat?

Options
Hey folks,
Got one of those ornery briskets that the flat just wouldn't get probe tender. I finally pulled it at 210. As you and imagine, it was tender enough but kind of dry. No complaints but I'm not thrilled. I vacuum packed and froze the left overs in some tallow. Any suggestions on how I can still salvage it? 
Perhaps warm it gently in the sous vide, slice it thin and sauce it for sandwiches?
Thoughts?
JD

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Brisket Chili.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    ☝🏻
    What he said. Love brisket chili. If you don’t have enough brisket, use it to supplement another protein in the chili. Outstanding. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    As others have said……cube, make chili. No regrets
  • jjdbike
    jjdbike Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    So you do not recommend the method I asked about?
    JD
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    It is going to be dry (texture wise) no matter what you do to it.  Sandwiches with sauce will hide that fact, some.

If it is truly overdone (which is is), it won't slice thin very nicely.  It will just crumble apart.  

If you are set on sandwiches, maybe chop it for sandwiches.  Heat it sous vide, or in sauce on the stove.  Throw some in beans.

Good luck.  Sorry it turned out that way.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • jjdbike
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Brisket spaghetti sauce. Simpler cook than chili, and so delicious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jjdbike
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    It is going to be dry (texture wise) no matter what you do to it.  Sandwiches with sauce will hide that fact, some.

If it is truly overdone (which is is), it won't slice thin very nicely.  It will just crumble apart.  

If you are set on sandwiches, maybe chop it for sandwiches.  Heat it sous vide, or in sauce on the stove.  Throw some in beans.

Thanks Langner,

I like the idea of chopping and heating in sauce. Trying to picture this, I don't think it'll pull like very well done chucks. Should I cut it into a large dice - cube? I'm guessing adding some au jus would be good moisture wise? 
    Looking for a little detail here. I'm prolly gonna do this, i.e. BBQ beef sandwiches.

Thanks in advance!
    JD
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    When that happens I chop it up and mix with bbq sauce and make sloppy Joe's out of it. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im in the chopped brisket sandwich camp. Lots of sauce, and any nasty bits of fat and bark mixed in 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jjdbike said:
    Langner91 said:

Thanks Langner,

I like the idea of chopping and heating in sauce. Trying to picture this, I don't think it'll pull like very well done chucks. Should I cut it into a large dice - cube? I'm guessing adding some au jus would be good moisture wise? 
    Looking for a little detail here. I'm prolly gonna do this, i.e. BBQ beef sandwiches.

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    Just rough chop it on a board. Any fat, bark, or jus would be great 
  • jjdbike
    Options
    This is the texture and vibe you are looking for. Vinegary sauce, slaw, pickles, onions (to your liking) 

You nailed it!
    Thanks brother!
    JD
  • jjdbike
    Options

This is the texture and vibe you are looking for. Vinegary sauce, slaw, pickles, onions (to your liking) 

Are those picked carrots?
    JD
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    caliking said:
    Brisket spaghetti sauce. Simpler cook than chili, and so delicious. 
    As a spaghetti eating mother flipper I got to say that is one helluva of an idea right there 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jjdbike said:

Are those picked carrots?
    JD
    I just grabbed that pic off the internet :) 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Chop Chop Chop and then use it for a variety of ideas already mentioned here! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    birria taco stew meat seems still doable.  birria tacos or birria stew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I have let dry brisket soak in beef broth in the fridge, and then cut very thin slices.  It helps soften it back and works great for sandwiches.
  • builderdawg
    Options
    Cook in a dutch oven in beef broth at a low simmer for four hours.  Cut up or shred and eat in tacos.  They are also good to make burnt ends, and the chili suggestion previously mentioned is a good one also.