Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    So, the interesting part is the hero was carrying illegally. I’m glad he was but it does kind of shoot holes in the “only bad guys break gun laws” theory.  Thoughts? 
    If we can’t get any thoughts on that one, maybe we can get some prayers?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So, the interesting part is the hero was carrying illegally. I’m glad he was but it does kind of shoot holes in the “only bad guys break gun laws” theory.  Thoughts? 
    If we can’t get any thoughts on that one, maybe we can get some prayers?
    They both work equally well but when used together, it works even better. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thought-prayer machine gun here mowing down problems (ratatatat…)
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    These clowns all like to think of themselves as Dirty Harry or whatnot, but when the sh!t hits the fan they’re a lot closer to cousin Larry here:

• fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    From the Wildman

You must have missed the part about “ shall not infringe “. We are seeing more states implement constitutional carry laws. Why aren’t you seeing homicide numbers exposed under the new regulations?

Driving a car is a privilege. Owning a gun is a right guaranteed by the Constitution.”

It’s a constipational right - cousin Larry gets to be stupid because he can spell militia correctly 6/10 times.

Malls can’t outlaw guns, only God can.  Or states.  But not really.

My old common law wife used to say I walked around with a concealed long gun everyday but I keep telling her not to start rumors, guns scare me, especially other mens guns.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    The Indiana guy was carrying lawfully. Starting 7/1 Indiana no longer requires concealed carry permits. This shooting was about 45 minutes north of me. Been there many times. Craziness 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    The Indiana guy was carrying lawfully. Starting 7/1 Indiana no longer requires concealed carry permits. This shooting was about 45 minutes north of me. Been there many times. Craziness 
    The mall was a no- carry zone. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Gun nuts claim that making policy to create barriers to gun ownership will lead to less "good guys" having guns, while the "bad guys" will still have/be able to get guns, anyways.

So, if its made stupidly easy for anyone to obtain a gun (no licensing/registration/background checks, etc.), how many guns do you think "bad guys" will end up with?

Are we then heading towards public shootouts at venues, all the damn time?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Gun nuts claim that making policy to create barriers to gun ownership will lead to less "good guys" having guns, while the "bad guys" will still have/be able to get guns, anyways.

So, if its made stupidly easy for anyone to obtain a gun (no licensing/registration/background checks, etc.), how many guns do you think "bad guys" will end up with?

The "good guy with a gun" thing is a slogan that was introduced by the NRA.  Sometimes I feel like folks fail to appreciate that the primary goal of the NRA is to... sell more guns.  As such they tend to construct nonsensical arguments that mostly point towards solutions where more guns being sold is always the answer, and anything that possibly results in fewer guns being sold must be opposed no matter how much sense it makes.  And so we get things like where even people who have well-documented mental illnesses are still allowed to buy guns.

We are in this strange place in the US where the culture has embraced something that is intrinsically harmful to the population.  The only way to keep that embrace going in light of all the obvious data is to come up with arguments that don't make much of any sense, at least not to anyone outside of the culture.

There are examples like this in other cultures.   One I've heard of is female genital mutilation (FGM).  There are cultures that believe all sorts of terrible things should be done to young women and their genitalia at various stages.  Most anyone who lives outside of those cultures recoils at the practice.  Why would anyone think that's an OK thing to do?  It's obvious that it's harming the population.  Well, if you ask the people inside the culture they will give you a long list of reasons, all of which probably make sense to them, but are in essence different versions of "good guys with guns".   

Many Americans are simply incapable of looking at this issue objectively.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:

The "good guy with a gun" thing is a slogan that was introduced by the NRA.  Sometimes I feel like folks fail to appreciate that the primary goal of the NRA is to... sell more guns.  As such they tend to construct nonsensical arguments that mostly point towards solutions where more guns being sold is always the answer, and anything that possibly results in fewer guns being sold must be opposed no matter how much sense it makes.  And so we get things like where even people who have well-documented mental illnesses are still allowed to buy guns.

We are in this strange place in the US where the culture has embraced something that is intrinsically harmful to the population.  The only way to keep that embrace going in light of all the obvious data is to come up with arguments that don't make much of any sense, at least not to anyone outside of the culture.

There are examples like this in other cultures.   One I've heard of is female genital mutilation (FGM).  There are cultures that believe all sorts of terrible things should be done to young women and their genitalia at various stages.  Most anyone who lives outside of those cultures recoils at the practice.  Why would anyone think that's an OK thing to do?  It's obvious that it's harming the population.  Well, if you ask the people inside the culture they will give you a long list of reasons, all of which probably make sense to them, but are in essence different versions of "good guys with guns".   

Those stickers are a **** to get off your truck.  Nobody wants to be wrong and have to replace a AR don’t tread on me sticker with a second salt life sticker.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Just about all those that end up being the bad guy with the gun transition from being a good guy with a gun. 

This good guy/bad guy argument is a bunch of simplistic BS to start, but it is often Joe GoodGuy has a gun, no problems for years, perhaps, until he has a bad day, and maybe someone f*cks with him...a wrong place wrong time kind of thing.  You're a good guy with a gun until you're not.  And that "not" day can be pretty devastating....worse than your puppy pulling over your BGE and having to smuggle a service honey glider between the twins as you write adult erotica...oh, sorry.  Wrong thread.

People are too volatile, too untrained and too filled with emotions and hormones to safely carry en masse.  And it's clearly a bad societal decision. 
    ColtsFan said:
    That doesn’t make it illegal. 
    I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• nolaegghead
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    That doesn’t make it illegal. 
    It is technically trespassing, which doesn't sound legal to me, O' Orange Boil, sir.

ColtsFan said:
    I guess the mass shooters missed the sign. How is it possible a criminal would intentionally carry a gun in with a no carry sign up and start shooting people randomly? Maybe they need more sign legislation to mandate larger letters. 

This is just one of the many feel good laws that anti gun nuts think will keep them safe from the boogie man. They aren't smart enough to actually believe criminal with ill intent will still kill other people even with a law telling them not to do it.
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    caliking said:

Since you don't wanna do the research, Johnnie...

NRA mission statement is “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms.” The statement emphasizes the difference it makes in the life of the people it serves by ensuring that their rights are not only respected but also enforced. This mission statement by the NRA has the following components:

1. Protection of the U.S. Constitution
    2. Granting Americans their rights

Memphis, TN
  • caliking
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    caliking said:

Since you don't wanna do the research, Johnnie...

NRA mission statement is “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms.” The statement emphasizes the difference it makes in the life of the people it serves by ensuring that their rights are not only respected but also enforced. This mission statement by the NRA has the following components:

1. Protection of the U.S. Constitution
    2. Granting Americans their rights

Is this what passes as "my own research" ?

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

I get that. The GOP doesn't really care who co-opts their party, if it means votes... the Trumpster, the NRA, others. 

What I don't get is how many guns they think it will take to establish a safer society here. And, who they think is going to end up with more. 

• WildmanWilson
    Options
    Just about all those that end up being the bad guy with the gun transition from being a good guy with a gun. 

This good guy/bad guy argument is a bunch of simplistic BS to start, but it is often Joe GoodGuy has a gun, no problems for years, perhaps, until he has a bad day, and maybe someone f*cks with him...a wrong place wrong time kind of thing.  You're a good guy with a gun until you're not.  And that "not" day can be pretty devastating....worse than your puppy pulling over your BGE and having to smuggle a service honey glider between the twins as you write adult erotica...oh, sorry.  Wrong thread.

People are too volatile, too untrained and too filled with emotions and hormones to safely carry en masse.  And it's clearly a bad societal decision. 
    A lesson from this is don't f*ck with people because they may be packing. Mind your own
  • AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options

A lesson from this is don't f*ck with people because they may be packing. Mind your own
    I think you have convinced everyone that you’ve got a lotta guns, a lotta bullets, and one really tiny peen.  
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    What’s up with the tiny peen posts?  It seems to be a recurring subject from Carey (Nola), Stolen Genrator, and several of Carey’s troll post. Really ****_g weird and childish.  This is not normal.  Perhaps @The_Buffalo needs to look at this, as it doesn’t have any place in an “adult” bbq forum.  Reminds me of boys club adolescent chatter.  No resemblance of adult behavior.  Almost sounds like Carey has a penis issue?  Or fetish?
  • caliking
    Options

Someone mentioned something like that re: road rage, when we moved here. 

Guess what? Folks in Houston still drive like utter arseholes. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It's funny how things can change during one's lifetime.
    I'm old enough to remember when the NRA was quite vocal and supportive of many gun regulations such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and California's Mulford Act.
    Back then they were opposed to just any random yahoo carrying loaded weapons in public. Well, by "any random yahoo" I should just say "black people" since that was what prompted the Mulford Act - signed into law by Ronald Reagan no less.
    Of course the 2nd amendment was interpreted rather differently back then. It wasn't until the Heller case in 2008 that SCOTUS decided that all the other courts in the previous 200+ years were wrong and that the 2nd amendment did indeed provide an individual right for folks to have a weapon for home protection.
    Now we're at a place where it seems the "correct" interpretation means that if you have a pulse you should be able to pack any weapon you want, anywhere you want, whenever you want.
    Which is kinda cool cuz I have an older Toyota Tacoma 4x4 that I've always wanted to mount a 50 cal. Browning onto and turn it into my own technical!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    It’s almost pre Friday.
    canuckland
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    100% guarantee that all my buddies (police/sheriffs dept/KS hi-way patrol) are packing when in plain clothes.  I built a lot of their long range tactical weapons, but most are packing Glocks or Sigs for concealed carry, with high capacity mags.  I carry a Sig w/2mags. Almost everyone here has a concealed carry permit, and carries. We all own many AR’s. And thousands of rounds of 5.56 ammo.  And multitudes of 30 round Magpul magazines.  
    So our crime rates are very low in Kansas.  If you come here to commit a crime or harm someone, you usually leave in a body bag. End of story.
  • caliking
    Options
    What’s up with the tiny peen posts?  It seems to be a recurring subject from Carey (Nola), Stolen Genrator, and several of Carey’s troll post. Really ****_g weird and childish.  This is not normal.  Perhaps @The_Buffalo needs to look at this, as it doesn’t have any place in an “adult” bbq forum.  Reminds me of boys club adolescent chatter.  No resemblance of adult behavior.  Almost sounds like Carey has a penis issue?  Or fetish?
    Calling a spade, a spade,  hurts.

Particularly when you're the spade. 

• littlerascal56
    edited July 2022
    Options
    caliking said:
    Calling a spade, a spade,  hurts
    Knee you were a JIC fanboy, but you must be sucking Carey’s d_ick too! 
    Guess somebody has too, since Bridget left him.
  • caliking
    edited July 2022
    Options
    100% guarantee that all my buddies (police/sheriffs dept/KS hi-way patrol) are packing when in plain clothes.  I built a lot of their long range tactical weapons, but most are packing Glocks or Sigs for concealed carry, with high capacity mags.  I carry a Sig w/2mags. Almost everyone here has a concealed carry permit, and carries. We all own many AR’s. And thousands of rounds of 5.56 ammo.  And multitudes of 30 round Magpul magazines.  
    So our crime rates are very low in Kansas.  If you come here to commit a crime or harm someone, you usually leave in a body bag. End of story.
    Peep where KS is re: crime rate... "our crime rates are very low" my arse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_violent_crime_rate

You, your buddies, and all that ordnance,  are not doing a good job at all. 

And, you're exactly the kind of hombre I'm worried about. Glad you're over there.

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Calling a spade, a spade,  hurts
    Knee you were a JIC fanboy, but you must be sucking Carey’s d_ick too! 
    Guess somebody has too, since Bridget left him.
    You sad, little, tool. Has it really been that long since you paid someone to lick your knob?

Must be your special brand of cray that keeps them away. 

• littlerascal56
    edited July 2022
    Options
    But we have the best BBQ in Overland Park & Wichita in the US!  And you can feel safe eating it in our restaurants, knowing that most patrons are armed citizens with high capacity firearms.  And lots of bullets.
    But you wouldn’t know that feeling, living in a $hithole city full of crime, with police resigning and jumping ship.  
    And Texas is actually tougher. They have open carry.  Like WildmanWilson said…don’t mess with people because they might be packing.