Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BlueStar

Options

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Bump - any bluestar owners have new feedback to report?  My 30” RNB Nova on order hit a little delay, which made me start googling things and I see some ppl having quality issues on newer models.  Probably just random crap reviews but figured I would check back before I make my final payment - tnx !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    What quality issues?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    Options
    Random stuff about longevity, burners going out that is difficult to fix, and other things implying they are taking shortcuts.  YouTube had a few like this.  This post has Been had been dead since JAN so just checkin in to ensure ppl here all still happy with their BlueStar 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    I have one burner knob that has a "catch" in it when I turn it on, the other knobs turn smoothly.  Its not serious enough to get anyone out to look at it.  Otherwise, mine's working like a champ.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm at like 3-4 years with mine and it's been nothing but amazing from the first day. No complaints. I LOVE it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    NDG said:
    Random stuff about longevity, burners going out that is difficult to fix, and other things implying they are taking shortcuts.  YouTube had a few like this.  This post has Been had been dead since JAN so just checkin in to ensure ppl here all still happy with their BlueStar 

You'll find these negative reviews with every brand and every model you google for.  Google Viking etc... terrible reviews.  Happy customers (the majority) don't tend to leave as many reviews. 

My Bluestar has exceeded my expectations and it makes me sick thinking I almost went with a Wolf.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm with Thatgrimguy except that I've only had mine since October. One thing - get a 14" round-bottomed wok and The Wok cookbook. Good combo with this stove. I also bought a griddle which I use less frequently.
    I've been cleaning the top cast iron parts in the dishwasher, but they are relatively heavy. Can damage other things if dropped.
    Other than some initial build/shipping problems, not important and they fixed them satisfactorily, the stove has been wonderful. It's the best stove I've ever used.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Did they drop yours off your front porch too? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NDG
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    NDG said:

You'll find these negative reviews with every brand and every model you google for.  Google Viking etc... terrible reviews.  Happy customers (the majority) don't tend to leave as many reviews. 

My Bluestar has exceeded my expectations and it makes me sick thinking I almost went with a Wolf.  
    Yea figured but I have a chance to swap out since my contractors have run into so many delays, thanks for confirmation IM STICK WITH B.S. . .  excited !!
    Columbus, OH

• Corv
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Did they drop yours off your front porch too? 

Fortunately the delivery went fine. The knobs came stainless with the colored ones on backorder. One burner was disconnected with a bad gasket, on backorder. These all arrived fine and the burner was quickly installed. I'm satisfied. It was easy to work with their customer service.
  • NDG
    Options
    I am torn on my two options here, any strong thoughts?
    1. Delivery only . . they drop near garage & my contractor installs
    2. Pre-site Inspection (only done after countertops in) then Delivery & Installation - all completed by the Distributor I bought from.  This option is an extra $285.
    My contractor seems confident (he is installing all other appliances) but he is a bit concerned about the weight as we just got all new wood floors and it will only fit in the front door so some distance to the kitchen.
    Columbus, OH

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    edited June 2022
    Options
    NDG said:
    I am torn on my two options here, any strong thoughts?
    1. Delivery only . . they drop near garage & my contractor installs
    2. Pre-site Inspection (only done after countertops in) then Delivery & Installation - all completed by the Distributor I bought from.  This option is an extra $285.
    My contractor seems confident (he is installing all other appliances) but he is a bit concerned about the weight as we just got all new wood floors and it will only fit in the front door so some distance to the kitchen.
    Not sure on Bluestar, but I have found delivery companies contracted by appliance and furniture stores to not be the greatest.  I have had walls damaged, appliances damaged, and other issues.  The contractor knows what to be careful of, is vested in a proper install because he will be the one fixing it.  If the delivery service screws something up they will hire their own company to fix it, so you will have to deal with another contractor.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2022
    Options
    You'll need a good heavy duty dolly and ideally 3 men to set it in place, and that was just for my 30".  It's obnoxiously heavy and will absolutely wreck your floors if you try and scoot it. Make sure you use furniture pads or carboard or something protective. Try and level it before you move it into place, b/c once it's slid up against your counters it's impossible to level the back feet. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    It weighs a ton. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    You'll need a good heavy duty dolly and ideally 3 men to set it in place, and that was just for my 30".  It's obnoxiously heavy and will absolutely wreck your floors if you try and scoot it. Make sure you use furniture pads or carboard or something protective. Try and level it before you move it into place, b/c once it's slid up against your counters it's impossible to level the back feet. 
    Good Tip . . thank you.  I just sent this to my contractor, he has been warned. >:)
    Columbus, OH

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    We've been using our Blue Star Platinum 48" rangetop for 7 1/2 yrs and love it. About 3 months ago the most-used burner began continuing igniting after the burner was lit. No Blue Star repair people here, but my Wolf repair man thinks he can handle it. As @Cory said, we got a griddle but rarely use it. It's a booger bear to clean.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I took it to the sliding glass door, took all the metal off I could, cut the box off except the back, laid the range on its back in the cardboard and slide it across the floor. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    Options
    BlueStar owners (mine gets delivered next week) do you use Full Size (18" x 26") baking sheet pans in your oven? 

I see it can fit in my model, but storing that beast is not easy.  Let me know your thoughts please.
    Columbus, OH

• Corv
    Options
    I don't. They fit but when I designed my kitchen I didn't set up storage for that size.
    Good luck with your new stove! Mine is the best I've ever used.
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2022
    Options
    NDG said:
    BlueStar owners (mine gets delivered next week) do you use Full Size (18" x 26") baking sheet pans in your oven? 

I see it can fit in my model, but storing that beast is not easy.  Let me know your thoughts please.

No.  From what I remember, It'll fit, but it won't fit on the "easy glide" slide-out rack, which is the one I keep in the center of my oven. The full size sheet pans only fit on the traditional (non ball bearing) racks, which I keep on the bottom of the oven.  The slide-out rack takes a little finagling to move to a different position. 

EDIT: Now that I think about it I'm wondering if the full size pans don't sit on the racks at all but instead slide in using the oven's side-rails for support. 
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks, I will hold off initially then !!
    Columbus, OH

• Corv
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    NDG said:

No.  From what I remember, It'll fit, but it won't fit on the "easy glide" slide-out rack, which is the one I keep in the center of my oven. The full size sheet pans only fit on the traditional (non ball bearing) racks, which I keep on the bottom of the oven.  The slide-out rack takes a little finagling to move to a different position. 

EDIT: Now that I think about it I'm wondering if the full size pans don't sit on the racks at all but instead slide in using the oven's side-rails for support. 
    Full size sheet pans slide in the side rails directly.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2022
    Options
    No foil on the baking sheets? Bold move cotton. 

Congrats. The broiler is insane.  It makes the best NY steakhouse-style steak you can get outside of the big city (though you definitely need a broiler pan to minimize smoke since the Bluestar doesn't include one). 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4G94U6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • NDG
    Options
    I hate putting down foil, always rips & feel like it kills the bottom sear if doing a normal veg roast.  Am I missing something?  Also, thanks for Broiler Pan link, never even considered this.  I would have gone flat cast iron and had a smoke fest.  
    Columbus, OH

• alaskanassasin
    edited August 2022
    Options
    NDG said:
    I hate putting down foil, always rips & feel like it kills the bottom sear if doing a normal veg roast.  Am I missing something?  Also, thanks for Broiler Pan link, never even considered this.  I would have gone flat cast iron and had a smoke fest.  
    All the heat is coming from above so shouldn’t be much bottom sear. I use parchment 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Corv
    Options
    The Wok cookbook had a good tip for those full-heat wok dishes: Use a shower cap over the nearest smoke detector. I need a step stool to do this and I just move it to the side but leave it set up so I don't forget to remove it. My 600 cfm exhaust fan gets marginal for some of these.
    My Bluestar is the best stove I've ever used.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dont burn the thai dry chilis in the wok, even with a hood you are not taking a full breath of air for days. important lesson of the day for those new to high output indoor wok burners......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it