Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket learnings/tips from a recent side by side experiment

Options
I learned a few things from a recent brisket cook I did with a large egg and a classic kj side by side that I thought I'd share, video if you're like me and prefer audio/visual vs. text https://youtu.be/z2ZfSmtOu54

Spoiler, as for the blind taste test I couldn't tell the difference nor could my neighbour who's large egg i borrowed.  My large egg and the mini from @lkapigian are still happily in service at the cottage up north and my other large and minimax are at my brother in-laws, but that being said its been a while since I've gone back to the egg for a brisket vs. some recent experiments on the Joe that have modified my approach.

Key points in the video and that are transferable regardless of Kamado brand
1) 250+ tastes better than a fire sputtering along below that

2) Overnight dry brine, if you're not already doing it add your rub/salt the day/evening before and let it sit uncovered.  retains more moisture weight when its all said and done and it gives you time for learning #3.  Rub is 40% fresh cracked black pepper 15% Lawry's, 25% diamond kosher crystal salt, 10% garlic ... fresh pepper makes an appreciable difference

3) if you prep the day before, toss your timings in a pot... add 2c of water and simmer for 2-3hrs until the water is gone and all thats left is tallow.  strain off the crap and inject the briskets fat back into the flat.  this upgrades a choice to the same results as prime for less $$ (not in this particular video) 

4) the same setup for pizza works great for low and slow (two sets of deflectors).  I call it double indirect but its the same as pizza has always been where we don't want to overdo the bottom without having time to finish the top.  i used each grill spec'd out to the exact same price so the egg was not double indirect in this video but this would have solved the slightly overdone bottom

5) adding smoke mid cook.  the KJ has a removable ash drawer that makes it easy to toss in wood chips and slide it back in, but tossing in some to the bottom vent and shove them under with the ash tool worked just as well.  the next day these were gone / turned into charcoal from hot embers falling down... compared to opening the dome and removing everything this is a great way to add smoke all day in a kamado 

6) fat cap up.  always used to do down, but side by side to my offset briskets this is missing the benefit of a properly rendered fat cap vs. it being mush on the board when you slice.

7) foil boat works better on a bottom heat source grill like the egg than any other i've tried it on.  lets the top bark continue to develop, protects the bottom from over cooking, collects some tallow you can pour back over for resting, shortens the cook time... i avg about 10f per hour gained in a boat so if we are 160, boat = 4 hours until getting close to probe feel

Have a great memorial day weekend 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Was wondering if you still had that Mini 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    What's the other 10% ? I like that the idea of injecting it's own fat back into itself. Thanks for sharing?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Was wondering if you still had that Mini 
    On my way to it as we speak. I love it still 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    What's the other 10% ? I like that the idea of injecting it's own fat back into itself. Thanks for sharing?
    Doh math fail. Rest is garlic. If you want you can add some smoked paprika or celery seed but I don’t use them often 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2022
    Options
    My dogs would be sad if I injected the trimmings back into the meat.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I learned a few things from a recent brisket cook I did with a large egg and a classic kj side by side that I thought I'd share, video if you're like me and prefer audio/visual vs. text https://youtu.be/z2ZfSmtOu54

Spoiler, as for the blind taste test I couldn't tell the difference nor could my neighbour who's large egg i borrowed.  My large egg and the mini from @lkapigian are still happily in service at the cottage up north and my other large and minimax are at my brother in-laws, but that being said its been a while since I've gone back to the egg for a brisket vs. some recent experiments on the Joe that have modified my approach.

Key points in the video and that are transferable regardless of Kamado brand
    1) 250+ tastes better than a fire sputtering along below that

2) Overnight dry brine, if you're not already doing it add your rub/salt the day/evening before and let it sit uncovered.  retains more moisture weight when its all said and done and it gives you time for learning #3.  Rub is 40% fresh cracked black pepper 15% Lawry's, 25% diamond kosher crystal salt, 10% garlic ... fresh pepper makes an appreciable difference

3) if you prep the day before, toss your timings in a pot... add 2c of water and simmer for 2-3hrs until the water is gone and all thats left is tallow.  strain off the crap and inject the briskets fat back into the flat.  this upgrades a choice to the same results as prime for less $$ (not in this particular video) 

4) the same setup for pizza works great for low and slow (two sets of deflectors).  I call it double indirect but its the same as pizza has always been where we don't want to overdo the bottom without having time to finish the top.  i used each grill spec'd out to the exact same price so the egg was not double indirect in this video but this would have solved the slightly overdone bottom

5) adding smoke mid cook.  the KJ has a removable ash drawer that makes it easy to toss in wood chips and slide it back in, but tossing in some to the bottom vent and shove them under with the ash tool worked just as well.  the next day these were gone / turned into charcoal from hot embers falling down... compared to opening the dome and removing everything this is a great way to add smoke all day in a kamado 

6) fat cap up.  always used to do down, but side by side to my offset briskets this is missing the benefit of a properly rendered fat cap vs. it being mush on the board when you slice.

7) foil boat works better on a bottom heat source grill like the egg than any other i've tried it on.  lets the top bark continue to develop, protects the bottom from over cooking, collects some tallow you can pour back over for resting, shortens the cook time... i avg about 10f per hour gained in a boat so if we are 160, boat = 4 hours until getting close to probe feel

Have a great memorial day weekend 

Great post.

#4 allows for #6 above.

It aligns with research done on the topic. 

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/

More importantly, it aligns with my process and bias.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Thanks for the effort and patience to produce the video.  Enjoyed it and will have to play around with the foil boat. 
    I am well aware of the BGE dome open and subsequent temperature rise phenomena but surprised that it does not occur with the KJ given the air introduction.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the effort and patience to produce the video.  Enjoyed it and will have to play around with the foil boat. 
    I am well aware of the BGE dome open and subsequent temperature rise phenomena but surprised that it does not occur with the KJ given the air introduction.  
    I don’t get it. I’ve never gotten a flash back on the taller one yet (series 3) either so I am not sure if the extra distance has something to do with it. Puzzled