Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt prep -- am I missing anything?

Options
OhioEgger
OhioEgger Posts: 901
SWMBO and I both love pulled pork, so I make it often. Converted to turbo some years ago and never looked back.

But my normal practice is to simply cover it with kosher salt and my homemade rub, then put it right on the Egg.

I just got to wondering if I might be missing a step that would bump it up a notch. Like brining it first (wet or dry), letting it sit overnight with the salt and/or rub, using something like a CYM smear to help the rub adhere, etc., etc.

Any suggestions, or should I just keep doing what I do?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Personally I only brined one once and it tasted like a cheap and crappy ham! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    What are you considering turbo—325F?  The difference in bark, for me, between 275 or lower, 300 and 325F is significant.  Lately, I’ve been doing 300F.  Seems to be a good compromise.  Much prefer the end product vs. higher temps.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    What are you considering turbo—325F?  The difference in bark, for me, between 275 or lower, 300 and 325F is significant.  Lately, I’ve been doing 300F.  Seems to be a good compromise.  Much prefer the end product vs. higher temps.
    Turbo for me is in the 375-400°F range. I probably just have a faded palate, because I honestly can't tell the difference between L&S and turbo.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with present technique 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    edited May 2022
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    SWMBO and I both love pulled pork, so I make it often. Converted to turbo some years ago and never looked back.

But my normal practice is to simply cover it with kosher salt and my homemade rub, then put it right on the Egg.

I just got to wondering if I might be missing a step that would bump it up a notch. Like brining it first (wet or dry), letting it sit overnight with the salt and/or rub, using something like a CYM smear to help the rub adhere, etc., etc.

Any suggestions, or should I just keep doing what I do?
    I have started doing my shoulder in an aluminum pan, I flip it during the cook to get bark all around.  When I pull it, I reincorporate the drippings (after pulling out all the unrendered fat chunks) and add more rub.  Always a crowd pleaser.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said: I have started doing my shoulder in an aluminum pan, I flip it during the cook to get bark all around.  When I pull it, I reincorporate the drippings (after pulling out all the unrendered fat chunks) and add more rub.  Always a crowd pleaser.
    Very interesting. What I usually do when I pull it is to incorporate a mixture of BBQ sauce and ACV. I think I'll try your technique and add some drippings to the mix next time. Thanks!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I wet brine mine in pickling salt, molasses and filtered water, add rub, then cover in peach preserves. Low and slow, smoke with peach.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I wet brine mine in pickling salt, molasses and filtered water, add rub, then cover in peach preserves. Low and slow, smoke with peach.
    Does filtered water make a difference?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I do like apple cider vinegar in the tray after it's pulled or chopped.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I do like apple cider vinegar in the tray after it's pulled or chopped.  

Flirting with Carolina sauce there..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I was skeptical , but I really like this stuff 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I tried brining once and it didn't do anything for me. Now I only brine birds and salmon.  Like you I usually rub right before going on the smoker. Rubbing the day before didn't add much.

Like Ozzie_Isaac, I use aluminum pans as well and put the dripping and a bit more rub in the pulled meat.   However, I only use the pan in the wrap phase with foil on top.  I don't actually wrap the butt.

I've done injections and liked it. If you want to try something different do a vinegar injection or inject Jamaican jerk mixture.