Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Wahoo question…maybe fish in general

Cooked some 1” Wahoo steaks last night, 350 direct with a raised grid. They were good, but seemed to dry out quickly. I had to use some compound butter to bring them back around. If I should have done something differently, please let me know

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 546
    Forgot to add…cooked to 140 internal temperature 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• ColbyLangColbyLang Posts: 2,136
    1” a little on the thin side for my liking. Usually 2” or better on a fish “steak” unless it’s really fresh yellowfin tuna. Maybe go lower on the internal and watch for the carryover cook. How raised was the grid? 
  • AcnAcn Posts: 4,014
    Definitely lower on the temp.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,969
    Cooked in lime juice for me, no heat … ceviche 
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon FatStack 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker

• ksmyrlksmyrl Posts: 859
    edited May 15
    I cook fish quite a bit lower than 140 due to carry over. I hesitate to say it due to liability and judgement...but for me I pull fish around 110 to 115. 120 for the wife.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 546
    Thanks thanks for the replies… I googled internal temp of fish and it said 145, so I went 140 to account for carryover. 

Ronald Reagan

• ksmyrlksmyrl Posts: 859
    Yeah, it was on this forum that I learned my temp was too high after many salmon fails.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 14,536
    Dawgtired said:
    Thanks thanks for the replies… I googled internal temp of fish and it said 145, so I went 140 to account for carryover. 
    Food safety is time & temp.  The quoted guidelines are for general public.  140 makes it safe in like 15 seconds.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

Some Eggs, some Weber stuff, the occasional Traeger, and various other things that make flames and hold coals.
  • RyanStlRyanStl Posts: 929
    I thought for sure you were misspelling wagyu.