Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wahoo question…maybe fish in general

Options
Cooked some 1” Wahoo steaks last night, 350 direct with a raised grid. They were good, but seemed to dry out quickly. I had to use some compound butter to bring them back around. If I should have done something differently, please let me know

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Forgot to add…cooked to 140 internal temperature 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    1” a little on the thin side for my liking. Usually 2” or better on a fish “steak” unless it’s really fresh yellowfin tuna. Maybe go lower on the internal and watch for the carryover cook. How raised was the grid? 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Definitely lower on the temp.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Cooked in lime juice for me, no heat … ceviche 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I cook fish quite a bit lower than 140 due to carry over. I hesitate to say it due to liability and judgement...but for me I pull fish around 110 to 115. 120 for the wife.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Thanks thanks for the replies… I googled internal temp of fish and it said 145, so I went 140 to account for carryover. 

Ronald Reagan

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Yeah, it was on this forum that I learned my temp was too high after many salmon fails.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Thanks thanks for the replies… I googled internal temp of fish and it said 145, so I went 140 to account for carryover. 
    Food safety is time & temp.  The quoted guidelines are for general public.  140 makes it safe in like 15 seconds.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I thought for sure you were misspelling wagyu.