Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jealous Devil Charcoal

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

it doesn’t spark, doesn’t ash up, lasts long and burns hot. It has a unique flavour.. I am fine with it, my family doesn’t like the odour/taste on most cooks outside of say a brisket or pork butt etc. 

i prefer controlling the flavour more so we have been rocking the Fogo lately as it tastes more similar to food I cook on my offset 

I didn't give any opinion on the product itself......never used it.  I just stated what they stole from my family company and their marketing practices (which you say you're not a fan of either.)

Either way and in all fairness, you should probably disclose which of these charcoal brands sponsor you.
    I get that, like I said there are things on the business side that are less than perfect. I am not on their team or any charcoal team over the past year and have receipts for the charcoal I’ve purchased and used in every video for over the past year. 

I am in Canada and rockwood isn’t sold here, I used to smuggle it across the border from Ace in Buffalo before the pandemic and that option was closed 

That’s me and the three brands I’ve used in my channel since I started most often … this video is a taste test comparison … JD didn’t win this by the way
    Didn't answer the question.....

Which of those three companies has, or currently sponsor you with free product?? 

The quote messed up, my answer is above. It’s been nearly 15 months since I accepted a free bag of charcoal, I have receipts for my purchases. 

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are sponsored. 

Still didn't answer the question......

Where did we disagree?  I commented on their marketing, not their product.  You called me out "saying it was better than what a competing brand suggests" when I didn't suggest anything about it.....and then said that you don't agree with their marketing practices.  Then you went on to praise another brand which you fail to admit if you've been sponsored by in the past or currently.  You can be an influencer all you want, just be transparent about it rather than pretending to be a regular uncompensated BGE owner on this forum (a whopping 4 posts this year and this is the thread you choose to engage in??)

15 months ago i received my last comped bag from Jealous Devil, I agree with you on the business practices as I have said now 3 times.  This among other factors was part of my decision to leave the program.

I am not praising JD, i said my family doesn't like the taste of it.  I know you mentioned you've never used it but from my experience it lights well, burns hot, lasts a long time with low ash but it has a very unique taste that it imparts thats not for everyone... and by everyone i mean 3 out of 4 people in my family 
    Just once, but who's counting.  And how many times did I suggest anything about their charcoal?  Zero.

And you still didn't answer the question of the two other brands you praise.....what was the last time you received free charcoal or compensation from them?  Again, just fine you're a paid influencer, just be transparent about it--especially when you are posting on a website owned by your past or present sponsor's direct competition.  
  • Phaqallyall
    Phaqallyall Posts: 128
    Options
    ROlin said:
    ROlin said:
    Wow, can't believe all the JD haters here. Fact is JD lump is the #1 selling charcoal across the US. On most all grill sites loves JD. You say it takes a little longer to light then start the charcoal a little sooner, DUH! You have to learn your charcoal & its burn profile. JD lump is a hard tough charcoal. You wont get a 1/3 bag of dust. Or a bag of junk like I got when I got the last bag of Green Egg years ago. If you are not getting great results with JD lump, try it in a different smoker. Say Hasty Bake, The Good One Smoker. Oh & JD lump rocks my PK Kitchen. Yep, maybe the Egg's are the problem. I have one & use it for pizza's. As far as the name I have always run with the Devil. Because he tells no lies. 
    Well, cheers everyone. Lump war on.
    thats why i jumped in, i am not in their program anymore but its getting unfairly slogged for the product vs. the marketing or business practices 

I use a grill blazer grill gun, with 400k BTU and JD is one of very few fuels that can withstand the torch and not spray me with sparks that burn me or my clothes... as the person standing nearby this is something i appreciate lol 
    That is right. You can put a propane torch to the JD lump, no sparks, no light show what so ever. I have used this lump for over 5 years & it is so consistent every time that I know what I am doing with it. Every now & then I will try a different lump for a change up. Then I realize why JD lump is the best. 
    As far people saying they only buy USA lump which is fine. Well that Green Egg you are dumping it in is made where? Just asking for a friend. There are a lot of great charcoals out there use what you like & what works best for you. 
    But no need to hammer the devil down. Because it does ROCK. 
    Lump on

Bro do you keep a hunk of JD coal up your ass waiting for it to turn into a diamond?
    sound it out yaidjit
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 948
    Options
    Holy snapping ****. It's just lump charcoal. Nothing to get your panties in a wad over, sheesh. You think that lump sucks, get a load of this ..

This morning I thought I was gonna float an air biscuit but my bum played a trick on me instead. I had to come home and change my undies, like completely, the inside-out trick was not gonna work this morning. Was I upset ... SURE I was ...nobody wants to drive thirty minutes back from the hospital .... feeling all squinchy and whatnot .. south of the border. Did I log into the forum and start picking on some random charcoal guy, uhh NO .. NO I did not. 

I would say between us, my lump problem is far worse than yours. Yet, its the maturity with how I handled it that sets us apart. I didn't come on here and pick on charcoal guy and rant about transparency to a paid influencer. Nope. 

Why do I have to be the voice of reason on here? I don't have time for this ****, I got laundry to do ....

StumpBaby
  • ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    Options
    Once again, still asking for my friend. I didn't get no answer to my question. 
    Where does your smoker come from? Behind the great wall of USA maybe? But lets make sure now that we have our USA charcoal. In my book you all are 2 faced. For the record I burn my JD in a Hasty Bake, Good One Smoker, PK Kitchen and..... my Texas built M1 wood burner combination charcoal grill.
    If I remember right they are all built on this side of the great wall. USA
    So tell my now, who supports their country??? All you eggers remember that tonight when you light up your egg with your USA charcoal. 
    I love it when "adults" attack me with names. Grow up & start acting like a adult instead of a toddler who needs a nap. 
    If there is anything more I can help you with then let me know. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,046
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    ROlin said:
    Once again, still asking for my friend. I didn't get no answer to my question. 
    Where does your smoker come from? Behind the great wall of USA maybe? But lets make sure now that we have our USA charcoal. In my book you all are 2 faced. For the record I burn my JD in a Hasty Bake, Good One Smoker, PK Kitchen and..... my Texas built M1 wood burner combination charcoal grill.
    If I remember right they are all built on this side of the great wall. USA
    So tell my now, who supports their country??? All you eggers remember that tonight when you light up your egg with your USA charcoal. 
    I love it when "adults" attack me with names. Grow up & start acting like a adult instead of a toddler who needs a nap. 
    If there is anything more I can help you with then let me know. 
    I'm envious that you are so smart. Thanks for the education, dickhead
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 254
    Options
    Man, charcoal posts are always fun to follow but I wasn't expecting THIS much fun since I looked at it last night.  
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:

Why do I have to be the voice of reason on here? I don't have time for this ****, I got laundry to do ....

StumpBaby
    Well so far this part is the funniest you have said so far 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    Good thing we don't like political threads on the front page - leaves more room for friendly lump threads.
    Wait... are lump threads political or religious? Both?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

it doesn’t spark, doesn’t ash up, lasts long and burns hot. It has a unique flavour.. I am fine with it, my family doesn’t like the odour/taste on most cooks outside of say a brisket or pork butt etc. 

i prefer controlling the flavour more so we have been rocking the Fogo lately as it tastes more similar to food I cook on my offset 

I didn't give any opinion on the product itself......never used it.  I just stated what they stole from my family company and their marketing practices (which you say you're not a fan of either.)

Either way and in all fairness, you should probably disclose which of these charcoal brands sponsor you.
    I get that, like I said there are things on the business side that are less than perfect. I am not on their team or any charcoal team over the past year and have receipts for the charcoal I’ve purchased and used in every video for over the past year. 

I am in Canada and rockwood isn’t sold here, I used to smuggle it across the border from Ace in Buffalo before the pandemic and that option was closed 

That’s me and the three brands I’ve used in my channel since I started most often … this video is a taste test comparison … JD didn’t win this by the way

Which of those three companies has, or currently sponsor you with free product?? 

The quote messed up, my answer is above. It’s been nearly 15 months since I accepted a free bag of charcoal, I have receipts for my purchases. 

Where did we disagree?  I commented on their marketing, not their product.  You called me out "saying it was better than what a competing brand suggests" when I didn't suggest anything about it.....and then said that you don't agree with their marketing practices.  Then you went on to praise another brand which you fail to admit if you've been sponsored by in the past or currently.  You can be an influencer all you want, just be transparent about it rather than pretending to be a regular uncompensated BGE owner on this forum (a whopping 4 posts this year and this is the thread you choose to engage in??)

15 months ago i received my last comped bag from Jealous Devil, I agree with you on the business practices as I have said now 3 times.  This among other factors was part of my decision to leave the program.

I am not praising JD, i said my family doesn't like the taste of it.  I know you mentioned you've never used it but from my experience it lights well, burns hot, lasts a long time with low ash but it has a very unique taste that it imparts thats not for everyone... and by everyone i mean 3 out of 4 people in my family 
    Just once, but who's counting.  And how many times did I suggest anything about their charcoal?  Zero.

And you still didn't answer the question of the two other brands you praise.....what was the last time you received free charcoal or compensation from them?  Again, just fine you're a paid influencer, just be transparent about it--especially when you are posting on a website owned by your past or present sponsor's direct competition.  
    Can you read?  No free bags, no sponsorship, no ambassador program.  I still own eggs, and can post where i like.

You are encouraging me to post a new review where I hold a torch to all these brands and yours... from memory I will need fire retardant clothing when using the torch on rockwood.  this will be the last bag of yours i purchase
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,695
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Good thing we don't like political threads on the front page - leaves more room for friendly lump threads.
    Who doesn’t like a political thread on the homepage?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Who doesn’t like a political thread on the homepage?
    Rob D’Amico, apparently.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So I learned **** love Jealous Devil lump and nothing here has really changed.

Options

Can you read?  No free bags, no sponsorship, no ambassador program.  I still own eggs, and can post where i like.

You are encouraging me to post a new review where I hold a torch to all these brands and yours... from memory I will need fire retardant clothing when using the torch on rockwood.  this will be the last bag of yours i purchase
    A threat to a product manufacturer, about leaving a negative review. There's a certain type of person who does that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    A snowflake?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

A threat to a product manufacturer, about leaving a negative review. There's a certain type of person who does that. 
    Karens!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 948
    Options
    Holy snapping a$$holes. I find it hilarious that you asked if he could read ... using the actual written word to ask him. That's moronic, and this is coming from me. You don't like the lump, don't buy it period. Let good old fashioned american economics decide their fate. It really is that simple. You don't need to come on her and be all ...  lumpy mclumpface about it.  Honesty, I'm starting to think your the kinda guy that wears a tutu on the toilet, just so you won't see your own padoinkydoink. You could have used an opaque dog collar but you didn't .. did you ... choices .. choices .. choices.

Have you ever successfully completed a math problem that had letters in it? Asking for a friend.

Can't we all just get along?

StumpBaby
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited May 2022
    Options
    At this rate I will never get to those last three bags of JD.  More Rockwood just keeps getting placed on top.  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @toidignikcuflatot

Chill or keep it up, no one cares.
    Options
    At this rate I will never get to those last three bags of JD.  More Rockwood just keeps getting placed on top.  

Way to go dude! It's ALWAYS best to save the best for last. 
    Good job!
    I plan on lighting up some JD lump today. It always smells like BBQ victory.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    ROlin said:

Way to go dude! It's ALWAYS best to save the best for last. 
    Good job!
    I plan on lighting up some JD lump today. It always smells like BBQ victory.

Post pics of your cook
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2022
    Options

That top bag says 20lbs but it looks to be 40 lbs. Must be the angle. 

I knew with 43 unread comments in this post that it went sideways . . . and sideways again and then off the rails.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Best charcoal ever! 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Best charcoal ever! 

No need to take it out of the bag. Just set the bag on fire and enjoy!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Best charcoal ever! 

no string....game changer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    kl8ton said:

That top bag says 20lbs but it looks to be 40 lbs. Must be the angle. 

I knew with 43 unread comments in this post that it went sideways . . . and sideways again and then off the rails.

Another plus for Rockwood 40 lbs in a 20 lb bag!  Take that Jealous Devil.  

Seriously, though, Rockwood does seem to overfill.  Their 20 lb bag doesn’t short change on weight.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    It matches the KJ perfectly, color-wise!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 90
    Options
    Seriously, though, Rockwood does seem to overfill.  Their 20 lb bag doesn’t short change on weight.
    That's because it's actually full of charcoal and not rocks, nails, etc.. Some of the other bags would seem full if they just put charcoal in them.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ryantt said:
    Best charcoal ever! 

No need to take it out of the bag. Just set the bag on fire and enjoy!

A few years ago I chunked a big ole piece of RW bag in the egg to get it lit. Put the plate setter in and rolled.  Well it was still in there when I took the plate setter out for the next cook.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,493
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Best charcoal ever! 

Waaaay back in my Weber days SWMBO brought a bag of Matchlight.  I used it once as the taste of the starter fluid was noticeable in the food.  That was the end of that...
    I suspect that is not the case today but I have no need to assess whether that issue is still there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.