Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two slabs of St.Louis style ribs on a Large GBE?

Options
Finally got it put together and burned it for about five hours today. Thinking of doing some St.Louis ribs tomorrow. Will a large acommadate two slabs? I dont want to have to cut them up but I guess if thats needed.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Welcome. 

All depends on how you want to organize them. You can lay them flat and rely upon foil to protect any portions lingering outside of the shadow of the plate setter. You can coil them. You can use a rack. And many other variations. 

I am confident that you can cook two if you are committed to the task. 

Don’t forget to post the finished product. 😋
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Can fit two. Might be tight depending on width of the slabs. A rack helps, also protecting the “exposed” edges with foil as @Great_EGGspectations mentioned 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    There are any number of ways to creatively fit more ribs on a grill.  Here's a St. Louis slab on a MiniiMax.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Two slabs is a stretch on my Large. A rib rack helps.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Here's a couple of examples.  Raised grid, made from 17" Webber grill and 4 5" stainless bolts. Also 2 slabs split in half.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    This is why I have an XL.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i look for the smaller racks, find they taste better, someone years ago cooked 24 babyback racks on a large without cutting them so..........

you can scrunch the racks instead of just tossing them on, shortens a few inches length wise and makes the meat thicker when cooked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    What's the problem with cutting in half? I've done two racks on a medium by cutting in half and using a rack.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited April 2022
    Options
    rollie pollie with shish kabob sticks fits 5 slabs.  Rib rack fits 4 -5 standing up on edge.  This one I use by bbq guru holds six slabs or 5 slabs and a whole chicken.  Stack racks for about 10 slabs
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    fit 5 to 6 like this
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Stack racks for about 12 - 17 racks. Hope it helps

Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rack of dinosaur beef ribs and a rack of babybacks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Like mentioned above, I prefer the rib rack on my Large.   Never have had to do more than 3 racks though but worked great.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Stack racks for about 12 - 17 racks. Hope it helps

How do you sauce those? Do you wrap them?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    Ive done 4 on a rack, 2 flat plenty of times.  

When I do 4 on the rack I rotate the Inside/ Outside at the halfway point.  I dont Foil and I dont sauce so its just a cook.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Just throwing this out there for those that have not tried/done .. cutting the ribs in pairs you can arrange more and no loss of quality ( not on the egg but you get the picture, so to speak)

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Coat hanger wire will help
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Just throwing this out there for those that have not tried/done .. cutting the ribs in pairs you can arrange more and no loss of quality ( not on the egg but you get the picture, so to speak)

I can’t believe I’ve never seen or thought about doing that. The amount of extra bark has to be a major winner. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I somehow assumed that this would have made them dry out. Actually a great format for serving. 
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Not to raise a thread from the dead, but are these still moist? If this works it is a game changer!!!!
    In Maryland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    YetiBob said:
    lkapigian said:

Not to raise a thread from the dead, but are these still moist? If this works it is a game changer!!!!
    @YetiBob yes yes moist, more surface area for rub, these are Armenian Style 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian