Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hot can the BGE run for pizza?

Options
Wow, my last post was 2013, but I've been cooking away in the meantime having replaced a cracked firebox and thermal strip, rusted through a few cast iron grates, etc. I've not been a huge pizza maker, but I've done some, almost always store bought frozen meant for an oven cooked at 400-500℉.

Recently I expanded my cooking to include a wood pellet grill, more for lower temperature smoking, but pizza oven attachments are available for those and seem to cook at 800-900℉. That got me wondering what the deal with pizza cooking temperature is, and I found this: https://www.crustkingdom.com/pizza-oven-vs-regular-oven/ and there a many more videos and articles discussing this.

So I got wondering, just how hot could I run the BGE for pizza? The BGE website pizza video cooks at 450, but the stock BGE thermometer goes to 700 (or wraps around even higher for those of us who occasionally forget to tend the fire). Amazon sells compatible thermometers that go to 900. 

Has anyone tried using wood fired (800-900) temps to cook a BGE pizza like a "wood fired oven"? Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have made pizzas with my large fully open.  Pulled out the thermometer because it's not designed for that temp. 

Works fine, but I don't do it anymore because:

1. You can burn through 20 bucks worth of lump in a couple hours
    2. I'm in a wood table and it starts smoking.
    3. When you open the lid, you get blasted with heat.  Need long handled tools, good gloves to open the lid.
    4. Extreme thermal cycling will exacerbate any flaws in the ceramic, more likely to see cracks.
    5. You may only get 90 minutes or less of high heat before you need to refuel.  If you are cooking for a large group and want to continuously turn out pies, your window is limited.

You actually get more smoke flavor cooking at lower temps, like 500-700F.

This is based on my experience, plenty of people do high temp pizzas, nothing wrong with it.

I have a Roccbox.  Still, I cook most of my pies in the oven because I'm too busy most of the time and I want to do a quick meal.
    I have and it's not advisable.  Basically all you are doing is burning away a lot of lump, inefficiently. It's difficult to cook Neapolitan-style pizzas (e.g. at 900F) in the BGE and obtain a lot of consistency, just based on how it is designed.

Even the Pizza-Porta thing that lets you cook pies in the BGE without opening the dome is really designed to cook best around 700 or so.  That is actually what one of the people who work at the company told me when I asked them about this at a demo they were doing at one of the Eggfests.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have over a hundred pizzas in my eggs.  None of them have been as good as the ones made in my blackstone, ooni, roccbox, or gozney dome.  The heat is coming from the bottom, so it is really imbalanced.  The higher the heat, the more it is imbalanced.  
  • nolaegghead
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I have over a hundred pizzas in my eggs.  None of them have been as good as the ones made in my blackstone, ooni, roccbox, or gozney dome.  The heat is coming from the bottom, so it is really imbalanced.  The higher the heat, the more it is imbalanced.  

Right, it is inherently hard to get the top and bottom of the pie cooking at the same rate, you end up moving the stone around or finding pizzas at the beginning or end of your cook come out better as the system is hard to equilibrate.

Options
    I have great success cooking pizza in the egg. I use 2 stone with the upper one high in the dome and temp around 600. The top of the pizza cook perfectly with the dome reflecting heat to the pizza. 

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I have great success cooking pizza in the egg. I use 2 stone with the upper one high in the dome and temp around 600. The top of the pizza cook perfectly with the dome reflecting heat to the pizza. 

This is a reasonable temp to cook pizza at in the Egg.  
  • turdferguson
    Options
    I’ve always struggled with my blackstone.  Toppings burn before the dough is done.

I get better results with my oven at 550 or BGE around 600 - 650 indirect with a pizza stone above the plate setter.  BGE has better flavor.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2022
    Options
    A variant/factor, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is the dough.

If you're running with dough which has oil/fat, and maybe sugar, in the mix, it would be ill-advised to chase high temp cooks.

The Neapolitan- style pies, which call for high temps, also call for dough made with tipo 00 flour (which likes the nuclear temps), sans sugar and fat. 

So, one way to look at this, may be to figure out the dough, then figure out the cook temp?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I have made pizzas with my large fully open.  Pulled out the thermometer because it's not designed for that temp. 

Works fine, but I don't do it anymore because:

1. You can burn through 20 bucks worth of lump in a couple hours
    2. I'm in a wood table and it starts smoking.
    3. When you open the lid, you get blasted with heat.  Need long handled tools, good gloves to open the lid.
    4. Extreme thermal cycling will exacerbate any flaws in the ceramic, more likely to see cracks.
    5. You may only get 90 minutes or less of high heat before you need to refuel.  If you are cooking for a large group and want to continuously turn out pies, your window is limited.

You actually get more smoke flavor cooking at lower temps, like 500-700F.

This is based on my experience, plenty of people do high temp pizzas, nothing wrong with it.

I have a Roccbox.  Still, I cook most of my pies in the oven because I'm too busy most of the time and I want to do a quick meal.
    1, 3 and 4 for me. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Made a lot of pizza’s on my Large, and my XL.  Elevated stones up in the dome, parchment paper, cornmeal,etc.  Various dough variations and recipes,  425-600 deg, etc.  Finally gave up and we cook our pizzas every Friday night in the oven at 425. They turn out perfect.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    In late fall,  Winter I use the electric hot box in the kitchen. 

Summer I use the gasser. 

Two stones,  stacked using BGE feet for spacers. 

I can get 700F or higher on the gasser. 48K BTU gets pretty hot. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Made a lot of pizza’s on my Large, and my XL.  Elevated stones up in the dome, parchment paper, cornmeal,etc.  Various dough variations and recipes,  425-600 deg, etc.  Finally gave up and we cook our pizzas every Friday night in the oven at 425. They turn out perfect.
    You must get lots of compliments from your guests!!!
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    For the dough combination I use here (I believe around 60% Flour, 40 Water, no sugar - or something like that) 500-550 is good, anything higher will burn the crust before the toppings (we like lots of toppings)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I cook my pizzas at 400-450 dome temp. That way the sausage can render and fully cook and the crust does not get burnt.

It takes around 15 minutes per pie but we are in no hurry.

I see you use the adj rig. I also use that but I place a stone below it as well.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    I e run it at 900 but recommend against it…flashbacks are a real risk and it could damage the Egg. But I routinely cook pizzas at 750 - 800. 

I find 700-750 ideal,  but the real key is to really let the ceramic hit up to temp (like at least 90 min).  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Pizza is not an easy thing to master. Trying to cook it on the BGE just makes it even more cumbersome b/c the heat source just isn't working in your favor. A regular home oven, even if it maxes out at 500F, will give you much better results. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdvoracek
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I will continue "oven" pizza in the BGE 400-500℉. I might acquire a pizza (oven) attachment for the pellet grill just because this is a hobby and part of the fun is trying new things, but most seem perfectly happy with "oven pizza" variations. I won't try to run the BGE at those high temperatures.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    have done a few upwards of 1200 dome, stone with my setup was probably closer to 900 but thats just a guess. a blue fireball would hover over the pie during the cook. the spring bands got so loose that the newer bands with clips probably would not work and opening a 1200 degree egg is not for the faint of heart.  the cook was less than a minute and included the 180 degree rotation. not recommended
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,850
    Options
    Two things haven't been explicitly stated.

1) The perfect cooking temperature for your pizza is inversely proportion to the thickness of your pie.  A Chicago deep dish cooks at 350 for 45 minutes.  You only need to cook much above 500 if you are making a really thin pizza.  I had dreams of doing that but haven't invested the time to make my own dough and I always put on too much topping - so 450-550 seems to be the sweet spot for my pies.

2) You can address the issue of "more heat from the bottom" when cooking in an egg by adding a layer of foil (with an air gap) on top of whatever heat blocker you use below your pizza stone.  (Like a drip pan but pizzas don't drip).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:

1) The perfect cooking temperature for your pizza is inversely proportion to the thickness of your pie.  A Chicago deep dish cooks at 350 for 45 minutes.  You only need to cook much above 500 if you are making a really thin pizza.  I had dreams of doing that but haven't invested the time to make my own dough and I always put on too much topping - so 450-550 seems to be the sweet spot for my pies.

2) You can address the issue of "more heat from the bottom" when cooking in an egg by adding a layer of foil (with an air gap) on top of whatever heat blocker you use below your pizza stone.  (Like a drip pan but pizzas don't drip).

Good point on #1.  I do the same - overload them.  My excuse is you end up eating less carbs.
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Good point on #1.  I do the same - overload them.  My excuse is you end up eating less carbs.

but at 1200 dome you are looking at three 12 inch pies from a single store bought dough ball.
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    jdvoracek said:
    Thanks for all the comments! I will continue "oven" pizza in the BGE 400-500℉. I might acquire a pizza (oven) attachment for the pellet grill just because this is a hobby and part of the fun is trying new things, but most seem perfectly happy with "oven pizza" variations. I won't try to run the BGE at those high temperatures.

If it's a hobby, just get a dedicated pizza oven like a Roccbox or Ooni.  You'll never achieve their results with attachments to a pellet grill or hacks to the egg. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:

but at 1200 dome you are looking at three 12 inch pies from a single store bought dough ball.
    Store bought dough almost always has sugar in it.  Not a good idea to cook that anywhere close to 600 degrees, never mind twice that.  Unless you like eating crust that is blacker than Darth Vader...
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,996
    edited February 2022
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    jdvoracek said:

If it's a hobby, just get a dedicated pizza oven like a Roccbox or Ooni.  You'll never achieve their results with attachments to a pellet grill or hacks to the egg. 
    Agree with this.   You can come reasonably close with that Pizza Porta thing, which ironically does not cost all that much less than an Ooni.  Might as well buy the dedicated pizza oven and save the lump.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Store bought dough almost always has sugar in it.  Not a good idea to cook that anywhere close to 600 degrees, never mind twice that.  Unless you like eating crust that is blacker than Darth Vader...

the minga valley here is crawling with italians, must not be sugar because our stuff works high temp. lots of stone masons from the late 1800 hundreds to build the searles castles
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,496
    Options

You made me do it.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...