Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home for the XL

Options
Been a while since I posted - Cat  5 hurricane (Maria) w/200+ mph wind. Renovations completed. Happy Egg in the kitchen and contented poolside BGF. Life returning to normal. Cooking quite a few Wahoo/Mahi/Tuna outside!!!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Looks amazing!

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I think the egg is just in the way with a view like that!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Wife told me to buy the view (oops, house I mean). Not old yet!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That looks miserable.  Do you need any company to help you commiserate? 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I would end up overcooking all my food if that was my view.  Thankfully, I only have a view of a brick wall—lucky me!  🥴
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    i cant see the boat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Man, you're livin' the life!
    Options
    Make sure you keep your bands tight.  Don't want that dome to come off when you open it.  Actually, I better come and inspect the bands in person. I am always glad to help a forum member.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Make sure you keep your bands tight.  Don't want that dome to come off when you open it.  Actually, I better come and inspect the bands in person. I am always glad to help a forum member.

Hmmm... If you come to STX when we are on island, let me know. We do have dinner parties on occasion and am always looking for experienced boat crew and fishermen. Note - hard to believe but the pic's really don't do the actual views justice.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    How is the egg attached to the bar and base? curious.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Glad you survived Maria!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautiful view, loving your set up.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    How is the egg attached to the bar and base? curious.
    The egg is not "attached". I wanted to minimize the cost and concrete as well as max out the view. The entire kitchen is really just a re-purposed flower bed with the top of the outer wall roughly 2 feet below the porch/pool deck elevation (see the conch shells). This enabled me to  "sink" the kitchen down 2 to 3 feet to maximize the view from the bed in the guest bedroom, media room and the gallery.

The first of 3 concrete pours was for the BGE floating support shelf (cantilevered out from existing flower bed wall). Pretty standard design - drill holes in wall, set rebar w/epoxy, form up above grade while matching the BGE  base curve...  The BGE base is a separate piece between the Egg and the cantilever support shelf and is attached by gravity.  Found just the right clay flower pot - rebar, concrete, cure - then remove the clay pot and paint to match the BGE.   Set the base on the shelf then place the BGE onto the base.

FYI, the second concrete pour was for the two support legs and the sink base.  The last pour was the table top (and little wall topper above the sink). Amazing what can be done with concrete and rebar. Just two little support legs at the rear of the table top cantilevered from the sink base. There is no contact between the BGE and the table top - about a one inch gap and lets me use a cover to protect the Egg from UV/rain/etc.  When you pass out or fall down in the kitchen, there is still a pretty good view of the Caribbean.

My wife loves it & I am glad it's done.

• fishlessman
    Options
    i cant see the boat

My wife is on the boat - see thumbnail profile pic. For those of us who don't see so well anymore (size matters)...

gotta love those cat style boats.  needs more rod holders, i dont see a place for my flyrods
    fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Amazing. It takes a lot of that kind of living to kill a man.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    This might be the number one outdoor area I've seen here yet.  Love the design of your counter.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Nice boat, nice view, nice fish ... I'm on my way!
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    i cant see the boat

My wife is on the boat - see thumbnail profile pic. For those of us who don't see so well anymore (size matters)...

gotta love those cat style boats.  needs more rod holders, i dont see a place for my flyrods

27 rod holders plus 6 more locked for storage under the gunnel. Have trolled with a 5 line spread (using  outriggers). Great platform for fishing. Haven't tried fly fishing yet, but when we get a larger Mahi hooked and near the boat, we do use few lighter weight setups to fish the school that typically forms around the boat. That is a feeding frenzy that normally preceeds ours at sunset.

• fishlessman
    Options
    i cant see the boat

27 rod holders plus 6 more locked for storage under the gunnel. Have trolled with a 5 line spread (using  outriggers). Great platform for fishing. Haven't tried fly fishing yet, but when we get a larger Mahi hooked and near the boat, we do use few lighter weight setups to fish the school that typically forms around the boat. That is a feeding frenzy that normally preceeds ours at sunset.

have only seen a few with the cat platform up here, i really dont know why as its just so stable and easy to maneuver. i have a similar amount of rod holders  and two areas to tie the extra rods standing. it just seems theres never enough rod holders. 
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @fishlessman how often do you take your boat out?  With that number of rod holders, how many people  are you fishing with?

Options
    @fishlessman how often do you take your boat out?  With that number of rod holders, how many people  are you fishing with?

Haha, I also fish and often there's 3x more rods than there are people on board to fish.  The number includes lots of spare rods, in case lines break off, or a different type of presentation. When we fish for salmon there's actually at least 4 different presentation types and each one employs a different kind of rod. Throw in some options to each of those rods and you'll get up to 10 permutations ... and then you need at least 2 of each ... one per side ... so 20 rods is easy to get to ... but you'll only have between 3 and 8 lines out fishing.
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2022
    Options

the boats under 20 feet with a full cabin so im kind of limited to 5 people and 10 rod spread(2 rods each). 2 planer boards can handle 4 lines, 4 downriggers for 4 to 8 rods, 4 flat lines off the back, 2 rod jiggers(holder mounted on a windshield wiper motor setup). move the ten rods around till you find whars working that day.  for the planer boards theres different rod setups, full lead with 10 colors, a 2 color lead setup which is a short leaded line with lots of backing, 3 color lead setups, copper line setups, stainless line setups. then theres target specific setups, downrigger setups, floating line setups. thats my stuff, everyone else has a minimum of 4 or 5 rods. i really dont like fishing more than three people total but sometimes it happens. my planers and down riggers all have jigging setups on them. i fish 2 to 3 days a week from sometime in april to nov/dec when things start to freeze. i fish from before sunrise til about noon and am off the water before most of the drunks show up and it gets too crazy out there. a typical spread is typically 150 wide, fishing from the surface down to a little over 100 feet deep....  then theres jigging rods added for the hot months
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    my tackle box at the house is 10x14 with french doors and the one at camp is bigger

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I dig.  I usually fish with 3 rods.  I don't like fishing with more than one person on my boat.  Three is a crowd.  Mine is 17'8" long.  Size matters. 

Putting the Minn Kota GPS trolling motor on is a game changer.
    I am headed out early tomorrow morning. Today @0dark100 the temp dropped down to 75F. High this afternoon was 85F.  Surface water temp is around 78F. Wind should be around 15kts. Waves @5 to 6 feet. These are pretty typical conditions for winter down here.  Persuasion is 32' with an 8'-6" beam. Cats are big plus in this size category. Mono's really twist and shout. Conditions much worse than this and I tend anchor up and go to a beach. Should be a good day here tho. Moon and tides are positive. Rigging for wahoo. 6 people.

• MediumRarely
    Options
    Nice boat, nice view, nice fish ... I'm on my way!

Thanks. We are all truly blessed.  See my response to Ozzie above.

• MediumRarely
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    This might be the number one outdoor area I've seen here yet.  Love the design of your counter.

Now to get back OT.  Thank you very much.  I did put a bit of thought into the project. My wife watched the entire process - thought I bit off more than I could chew. I did have a gag reflex on more than one occasion, but recovered fairly well. She's happy with it - and I am glad it's finished. 

However, a very wise person once said, "If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing."  In spite of trying to keep the design very clean, relatively simple, aesthetically pleasing (wife) and functional for Eggheads, this little journey definitely fell into the overdo column.

My wife told me to tell you that you have a standing invite for dinner (she really liked your comment!!!). You may have to show up early to prep the Egg and then cook.  Sorry.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I was serious. I showed my wife last night the pics and she said holy sh&t that's on the BGE forum. 
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    I guess she is invited as well.