Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jealous Devil Charcoal

Anyone have experience with this brand of charcoal?  I bought a bag that was on sale at my local Ace Hardware, and I must say, I have mixed feelings.  Seems to burn pretty good and hot...once you get it going.  Takes twice as long for me to get it going as with other brands, like BGE and other brands I have tried.  Just curious if anyone else has experience.

Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• I do. It smokes like Hades guess that's where the name comes from. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    I do. It smokes like Hades guess that's where the name comes from. 
    Are you saying that as a good thing or a bad thing? 
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• briwald said:
    I do. It smokes like Hades guess that's where the name comes from. 
    Are you saying that as a good thing or a bad thing? 
    It was terrible. I won't use it again.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    never heard of it.   Must be a reason for that lol

• My local Traeger dealer is selling it.  He is dropping pellet grills, and is now a Napolean dealer. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    briwald said:
    Anyone have experience with this brand of charcoal?  I bought a bag that was on sale at my local Ace Hardware, and I must say, I have mixed feelings.  Seems to burn pretty good and hot...once you get it going.  Takes twice as long for me to get it going as with other brands, like BGE and other brands I have tried.  Just curious if anyone else has experience.

It is not a real popular charcoal here, and I know I will never buy it again...but now watch how I as well as others get slammed with a Dislike...Get any idea what's going on? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I’m sticking with my Rockwood lump. Used it in my Bronco smoker today for a pork butt, and had lots of compliments tonight during dinner. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    if you google them be prepared for an aggressive email advertisement campaign
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    It does take a long time to get to temp and produce clean smoke. But once it gets there it will burn hot and produce heat for a long time.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• briwald said:
    Anyone have experience with this brand of charcoal?
    Naked Whiz has a review.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag114.htm

Raleigh, NC
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    abpgwolf said:
    It does take a long time to get to temp and produce clean smoke. But once it gets there it will burn hot and produce heat for a long time.
    for this reason I only use this stuff when I am making pizzas. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • I used to use Jealous Devil and agree it takes a while to get going but burns fairly well.  It was OK.  

I have switched to Rockwood and much prefer it over JD.  It is excellent for quality and performance, made in the USA, and you even get some great info here on this forum from one of the company's principals. (even on this thread!)
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I was wondering if I just got a **** bag or if I was doing something wrong, but evidence suggests it just takes longer to get going. I normally use Fogo, BGE or Royal Oak (which I gather is the same as BGE in a different bag), but this stuff was on sale for $24.99 for a 35 lbs. bag, so I figured I'd try it.  One pro is that it seems have less silt/charcoal dust, and more bigger pieces rather little tiny ones.  The big con is how long it takes.  All the other brands, I'm up and running in about 15 minutes.  Last night, it took nearly 40 minutes to get to 450.  Then there was a massive temp spike about 30 minutes later, I guess when the rest of the charcoal caught.  
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• I’m not a fan of JD. My egg dealer comped me a bag when I bought my XL this summer.

I too am in the tough to light camp and I didn’t care for the flavor imparted to the food.

I am also in the Rockwood fold. I like it’s all around performance and flavor profile. I do add hickory or mesquite chunks. Not every bag is uniform re size of chunks but I have to imagine the bags are filled by a machine via conveyor belt or hopper. That’s got to make uniformity a challenge.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited February 2022
    I have used it and liked it OK.  Had a nice size, particularly for the XL.  I wouldn’t think think twice about grabbing it in a pinch.  I have tried just about every major brand and have settled on two that are head and shoulders above everything else: Rockwood and Fogo.  

Rockwood is by far the best.   Fogo black bag is second.  They both have a good size charcoal, not too big and not to small and both heat up fast.  

Nothing I have tried is carbonized as well as Rockwood.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Isn't JD coal very expensive??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Isn't JD coal very expensive??

stlcharcoal pictures it seems likely that the high price is from buying rockwood, getting it delivered to their plant, putting it in the jd bag, and delivering it yet again to their customers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Rockwood is hard to find local. 

Looks like Ace hardware is starting to stock it. I'll have to try a bag.

I've cooked with JD and it was fine. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    danhoo said:

You're in CA right?  Any Ace should be able to get it if it's not on the shelf.  Not much was shipping out that way during the panic buy, but they've been stocked back up in the two warehouses that supply all the CA stores for a while now.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited February 2022
    danhoo said:

You're in CA right?  Any Ace should be able to get it if it's not on the shelf.  Not much was shipping out that way during the panic buy, but they've been stocked back up in the two warehouses that supply all the CA stores for a while now.
    Yup I'm in CA. 

Thanks. I'd like to try a bag.  For a while Lazzaro Mesquite and Cowboy Oak & Hickory were all I could get. Late last summer other brands started to get back in stock, but I don't remember seeing Rockwood. I'll call Ace tomorrow. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    danhoo said:
    danhoo said:

Yup I'm in CA. 

Thanks. I'd like to try a bag.  For a while Lazzaro Mesquite and Cowboy Oak & Hickory were all I could get. Late last summer other brands started to get back in stock, but I don't remember seeing Rockwood. I'll call Ace tomorrow. 
    If your local Ace Hardware store doesn't stock it, just ask them to check SKU #8400772 to see if their Distribution Center has it and if they do the store can special order it for you.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • stlcharcoal
    You can see if it's in stock on their website.  Just enter your ZIP and it will show the nearest store with it on the shelf.  Or you can order and have it delivered to the store in a few days.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    @stlcharcoal
    I was having trouble getting Rockwood during the hoarding rage. There are three Ace stores that I normally go to, depending on what direction my travels take me. One of the stores showed four bags in stock. I went in, but no, their inventory was off. I started calling every week, as  website kept showing four, but they always said "let me look" and came back and said "nope, inventory is off". Maybe they could have fixed the inventory???

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • I’ve never seen it any of the stores here.  You can just order Rockwood straight from the source, which is what I do.  By in bulk and you get a little discount.  Once you start using it, you may find that you feel more comfortable having an ample supply.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I’ve never seen it any of the stores here.  You can just order Rockwood straight from the source, which is what I do.  By in bulk and you get a little discount.  Once you start using it, you may find that you feel more comfortable having an ample supply.

I know its been said before but you can order rockwood on acehardware.com and pickup in store at your location. I did this for a few months and then they just started stocking it. that is a lot cheaper option than rockwood direct.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    I’ve never seen it any of the stores here.  You can just order Rockwood straight from the source, which is what I do.  By in bulk and you get a little discount.  Once you start using it, you may find that you feel more comfortable having an ample supply.

I know its been said before but you can order rockwood on acehardware.com and pickup in store at your location. I did this for a few months and then they just started stocking it. that is a lot cheaper option than rockwood direct.
    Yes, and hopefully it's going to show up in better shape too.  FedEx and UPS are not very kind to these bags.  Best way is palletized with nothing riding on top of it, but no way to guarantee that.
  • Glad I found this thread. I was thinking that Jealous Devil was good stuff and now I see that Rockwood is better. It appears that my local Ace Hardware is showing it in stock!