Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket on BGE.

8# Costco prime. Applied rub and wrapped overnight. Mesquite chunks, indirect at 250 for eight hours, raised drip pan no liquid in pan.  Stalled at 164, raised dome to 290 but didn’t wrap. Probed clean at 202. FTC for two hours. Overall very pleased. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2022
    I wasn't expecting those pictures when opening a post that reads, "First brisket on BGE". Nailed it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  Way to bring it home. 
    Looks like a flat and with that, even more impressive right out of the gate. Great eats right there.  Nailed it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Great job bringing the heat! Had to be good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Great cook.  Now you just have avoid the sophomore slump.  It's easy to miss a detail on a subsequent brisket cook.  Don't ask how I know... 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Looking good from where I stand. You’re almost making me want to retrieve the packer I’ve got stored in the freezer. 
  • Thanks for the nice comments. One question I had was, do you have to force the brisket through the stall either by wrapping or increasing the temperature or will it eventually get through it on its own without doing one of those two things. I forced this one with more heat due to time issues. 

• I am a relative brisket noob, but in my experience, unwrapped, it pushes through the stall as it does with a pork butt, albeit at a much slower pace than with a wrap or by bumping temp.  
  • lousubcap
    @simmonsgrege -
    I just sent you a PM with some brisket info that you may find helpful down the road.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    the brisket is a fickle beast . . . nice job!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • New here, haven't gotten anything yet, just reading to learn more. But what is this "stall" you all are talking about?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    New here, haven't gotten anything yet, just reading to learn more. But what is this "stall" you all are talking about?
    @JohnfromKentucky - Saddle up for a most enjoyable ride.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey, above all have fun.  
    You have found the source of knowledge for all things BGE and so much more.  The search function here will give you a great baseline for any issue (several far outside the Q environment) but after that exercise fire away with any questions as someone will always offer a response nearly 24/7.  
    Opening shot- don't go overboard with "gotta haves".  A means to go indirect and a quick read thermo for hot and fast cooks will serve you well.  FWIW-
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2022
    lousubcap said:
    New here, haven't gotten anything yet, just reading to learn more. But what is this "stall" you all are talking about?
    @JohnfromKentucky - Saddle up for a most enjoyable ride.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey, above all have fun.  
    You have found the source of knowledge for all things BGE and so much more.  The search function here will give you a great baseline for any issue (several far outside the Q environment) but after that exercise fire away with any questions as someone will always offer a response nearly 24/7.  
    Opening shot- don't go overboard with "gotta haves".  A means to go indirect and a quick read thermo for hot and fast cooks will serve you well.  FWIW-
    Frank-I think you just replied to one of JIC’s newly opened troll accounts!

I need to start a new account and monitor the trolls on this site…#bobthetrollhunter just to keep track of John & Carey’s escapades and no good.
  • Frank-I think you just replied to one of JIC’s newly opened troll accounts!

I need to start a new account and monitor the trolls on this site…#bobthetrollhunter just to keep track of John & Carey’s escapades and no good.
    So you saw someone new here with the handle of JohnFromKentucky and concluded it must be my troll account because my handle is JohnInCarolina?  That's really brilliant.  Did you come up with that one all on your own, or did somebody help you with it?

To the OP - simmonsgrege and the new member JohnFromKentucky - my apologies for the side track from littlerascal56 here.  There are just some members here, well, who are fruitcakes if you know what I mean.

This forum is kind of like a big holiday party in some ways.  And I'm sure you know the role that fruitcakes play at those things.  No one really likes 'em. But it wouldn't be the same without one. 

This one seems a little nuttier than I remember. 

Not sure why fruitcakes like these have such a reputation. They're pretty average when you get down to it. Maybe it is the fancy trappings they are surrounded by that make them seem somewhat appealing. But then you realize they don't really bring anything to the party. 

They're usually soaked in alcohol too. And so they spend their nights forgotten and alone. All dressed up with nowhere to go as they say.

Poor fruitcakes. Not their fault. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Not caring who is behind them, but does anyone have reasonable guess about how many troll accounts there are on this forum? Most are obvious, but there are a few sneaky ones here.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    @simonsgrege Welcome and ingest/ignore what you will here.    Great looking first cook.   Nothing to do with the stall, just let it happen, once out you'll be off and running again.   Stalls will happen with any large cuts of protein.    Just my .02
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Yno said:
    Not caring who is behind them, but does anyone have reasonable guess about how many troll accounts there are on this forum? Most are obvious, but there are a few sneaky ones here.

NOLA
  • Yno said:
    Not caring who is behind them, but does anyone have reasonable guess about how many troll accounts there are on this forum? 
    Half.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

So you saw someone new here with the handle of JohnFromKentucky and concluded it must be my troll account because my handle is JohnInCarolina?  That's really brilliant.  Did you come up with that one all on your own, or did somebody help you with it?

To the OP - simmonsgrege and the new member JohnFromKentucky - my apologies for the side track from littlerascal56 here.  There are just some members here, well, who are fruitcakes if you know what I mean.

This forum is kind of like a big holiday party in some ways.  And I'm sure you know the role that fruitcakes play at those things.  No one really likes 'em. But it wouldn't be the same without one. 

Not sure why fruitcakes like these have such a reputation. They're pretty average when you get down to it. Maybe it is the fancy trappings they are surrounded by that make them seem somewhat appealing. But then you realize they don't really bring anything to the party. 

They're usually soaked in alcohol too. And so they spend their nights forgotten and alone. All dressed up with nowhere to go as they say.

Honestly, I did not notice your name until just now. Had I known, I would have named my ID something else so as not to seem as copying you. :-)

Thanks for the welcome, I'm used to trolls from an old mac forum that I used to moderate

Honestly, I did not notice your name until just now. Had I known, I would have named my ID something else so as not to seem as copying you. :-)

Thanks for the welcome, I'm used to trolls from an old mac forum that I used to moderate
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much, Carolina is his girlfriend.