Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not an egg meal, BUT HEY we are headed to a -15º CHILL FACTOR

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited January 2022 in EggHead Forum
Pretending it was Summer out with fresh veggies might cure the Winter blahs - at least temporarily! So I fixed stuffed green peppers for supper. After all a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RealDonaldTrump
    Options
    It’s 12 degrees in Peoria. You don’t have to lie for dramatic effect Ron

I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• RRP
    Options

Thank you for correcting my post! I was speaking of wind chill factor and should have stopped re-read, re-thought, and re-worded my post! But NOW I have re-written the subject line...but for the record the OFFICIAL weather temperature for Peoria which you posted is out at the Peoria airport which is 23 miles from where I live.
  • RRP
    Options

For the rest of the record, I was not the person who slammed you with a Dislike.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @RRP you were around before wind chill was developed and used as another drama point for weather guessers.  But as the laps of the sun accumulate, for me the ability to deal with the cold goes down. 
    All the above said, those peppers look great.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Love me some stuffed peppers 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    What’s the damned temperature?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I am with @lousubcap tell me the temperature and wind speed I will make adjustments accordingly. Same with the heat index.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    I am with @lousubcap tell me the temperature and wind speed I will make adjustments accordingly. Same with the heat index.
    I hear you and never used to pay any attention to the haunting chill factor. But my Westies have always been housebroken so that just means they need to go outside to “eliminate” (cool word to explain term housebroken)…then TO THEM “chill factor” factor DOES mean something!

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Johny Carson . . . How cold was it?  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    loco_engr said:

We once had a summer here was so hot the cows froze to death.  So hot corn was popping out on the stalks.  Cows thought it was snow and froze.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options

I was stationed at Grand Forks, ND for 3 years.  The bad part was the mosquitoes were unbearable during the 6 weeks of summer.  The good part was there were no mosquitoes during the rest of the year (winter).

The coldest I ever dispatched (drove out to a missile silo for maintenance, up to 90 minutes away on gravel roads) was -22˚F (true temp, no wind), and we had to change out an "A"-circuit plug (what the cops unlocked first, to unlock the "B" plug to allow a maintenance team to get down into the silo).  The A-plug was attached to a cable with 15 small brass screws, about 1/4" long; no way you could do that with gloves on.  One by one, each of us in the crew-cab would jump out, start removing brass screws, and then after about 3, retreat into the truck because we couldn't feel our fingers anymore, and the next guy did the next 3 screws. We eventually got the plug replaced, but damn the fault was still there, the cable was defective somewhere.  We had to wait until June for that cable conduit to thaw, to replace the cable (which cleared the fault); meanwhile a trailer with two cops had to guard that remote site for several months.  What an extreme environment.  

There was another day when the windchill was -85˚(I don't remember the true temp).  The Missile Wing didn't even allow crew changes at the missile launch centers, meaning two-man crews had to stay in their underground bunkers for 48 hours, rather than 24 (and no travel for maintenance crews).  Oddly, everyone still had to report to work that day (ten miles between GF and the base), that was a miserable day too.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Everyone should embrace those rare opportunities to Egg something in sub-zero air temps. Great conversation starter when you bring leftover ribs into the office for lunch.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hear you and never used to pay any attention to the haunting chill factor. But my Westies have always been housebroken so that just means they need to go outside to “eliminate” (cool word to explain term housebroken)…then TO THEM “chill factor” factor DOES mean something!

I thought your dogs were hitmen, but then I read your clarification. 

What are those white dams preventing the stuffing from flowing out? I was contemplating whether they were edible or whether you had to remember to remove them before eating? 
  • RRP
    Options
    Botch said:

I was stationed at Grand Forks, ND for 3 years.  The bad part was the mosquitoes were unbearable during the 6 weeks of summer.  The good part was there were no mosquitoes during the rest of the year (winter).

The coldest I ever dispatched (drove out to a missile silo for maintenance, up to 90 minutes away on gravel roads) was -22˚F (true temp, no wind), and we had to change out an "A"-circuit plug (what the cops unlocked first, to unlock the "B" plug to allow a maintenance team to get down into the silo).  The A-plug was attached to a cable with 15 small brass screws, about 1/4" long; no way you could do that with gloves on.  One by one, each of us in the crew-cab would jump out, start removing brass screws, and then after about 3, retreat into the truck because we couldn't feel our fingers anymore, and the next guy did the next 3 screws. We eventually got the plug replaced, but damn the fault was still there, the cable was defective somewhere.  We had to wait until June for that cable conduit to thaw, to replace the cable (which cleared the fault); meanwhile a trailer with two cops had to guard that remote site for several months.  What an extreme environment.  

There was another day when the windchill was -85˚(I don't remember the true temp).  The Missile Wing didn't even allow crew changes at the missile launch centers, meaning two-man crews had to stay in their underground bunkers for 48 hours, rather than 24 (and no travel for maintenance crews).  Oddly, everyone still had to report to work that day (ten miles between GF and the base), that was a miserable day too.  
    HOLY SH*T. BATMAN!!! Please excuse my wimpy complaint about -15º wind chill! If my Westies had the temperatures to deal with that you mentioned then I bet they would find a spot in a corner to piss and hope that I never saw it!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Bombdiggity Ron!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    loco_engr said:

We once had a summer here was so hot the cows froze to death.  So hot corn was popping out on the stalks.  Cows thought it was snow and froze.
    Mark Twain:  "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Botch said:

I went to college in Fargo and I remember one a time recruiter from AZ telling me that I lived in the worst place in the US.  Humidity in the summer, wind chill in the winter.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Great suggestion for a quick meal, Ron!  We love stuffed peppers here.  

We actually do the stuffed peppers from Costco on the BGE fairly regularly.  If you’ve never tried those, give them a shot.  I think a tray of six is around $20 and some smoke really adds a lot. I vary the instructions and cook them without foil for the first half hour so that the stuffing gets some good smoke flavor.  Of course you can make them on your own much more cheaply but sometimes the convenience factor is worth it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited January 2022
    Options
    My wife's Grandma at the time (1996) lived up in
    small town in Northern Minnesota. That winter they were hit hard with snow and cold. One of the neighboring towns has the state record (Tower, MN) that hit -60°F in 1996. Most people's thermometers are made with mercury that will go down to -40. Northern towns in Minnesota at the time used alcohol thermometers. The town of Embarrass located near Tower said to have recorded -65°F that day but their town thermometer ended up breaking due to the extreme cold during it. So they could never officially count it as a state record. My wife's Grandma is quick to remind me when I say it's cold here in the Twin Cities....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ValleyGirl
    Options
    Love stuffed peppers and by the way it's -32F here.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have stuffed peppers on my list of "to-do" soon.

Nearly two years ago (1/31/19) was the coldest day here.  I took this while driving to work.  No wind chill.

Clinton, Iowa
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    0 here today. Growing up in Alaska, 20 was awesome, 0 did not raise any eye brows, -10 to -15 you actually thought about not being outside unnecessarily but if the wind was not blowing we would still ski, snow machine etc. -30 was cold to be avoided but still present at the bus stop. 
     The coldest I ever saw was -56. At that temp the snow under your feet squeaks, the air is so cold it takes your breath away, it is dead silent outside with the exception of aspen trees that are popping and cracking under the cold. You could walk right past a bedded down moose and it wouldn't do any more than glance.  I left a space heater pointed at the grill of my truck for 2 hours to get it started, when it finally did go it was like riding in a submarine way beyond maximum depth, everything was popping an crackling and had you wondering if we are going to make it.
      Anyway sorry to high jack your thread @rrp. I like your spirit!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    0 here today. Growing up in Alaska, 20 was awesome, 0 did not raise any eye brows, -10 to -15 you actually thought about not being outside unnecessarily but if the wind was not blowing we would still ski, snow machine etc. -30 was cold to be avoided but still present at the bus stop. 
     The coldest I ever saw was -56. At that temp the snow under your feet squeaks, the air is so cold it takes your breath away, it is dead silent outside with the exception of aspen trees that are popping and cracking under the cold. You could walk right past a bedded down moose and it wouldn't do any more than glance.  I left a space heater pointed at the grill of my truck for 2 hours to get it started, when it finally did go it was like riding in a submarine way beyond maximum depth, everything was popping an crackling and had you wondering if we are going to make it.

today school gets canceled 12 hours before the drop of a snowflake. they used to just put chains on the buses tires and fill a trash can lid with lit briquettes and slide it under the oil pan of the engine to get it started, those buses were ready no matter what, hardly ever a snow day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That’s -44F, please don’t complain

Options

What are those white dams preventing the stuffing from flowing out? I was contemplating whether they were edible or whether you had to remember to remove them before eating? 
    Those dams are simply one piece in each shell of parboiled onion - could be raw as well, but either way they are edible.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

today school gets canceled 12 hours before the drop of a snowflake. they used to just put chains on the buses tires and fill a trash can lid with lit briquettes and slide it under the oil pan of the engine to get it started, those buses were ready no matter what, hardly ever a snow day

They canceled school after 2 days of -50, the first day about half the students showed up so...
      In Alaska the old timer bush pilots that would fly a trap line in say a piper cub or small plane would drain the oil out of the engine and put it on the wood stove at night to keep it warm.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    I went to college in Fargo and I remember one a time recruiter from AZ telling me that I lived in the worst place in the US.  Humidity in the summer, wind chill in the winter.  
    But they don't have Chub's Pub in Arizona.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    Botch said:

I hired a young Engineer who lived in AZ his whole life and went to College there.  I asked him "Why on earth would you want to work in Iowa when you could work in AZ?"  He said, "I am tired of the 120° heat!"  I told him, "You are in luck, it is sometimes 150° colder than that here!"
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    But they don't have Chub's Pub in Arizona.
    about 3 blocks south on University from our old house.  Which has now been razed for a large apartment complex.  Probably a good thing.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE