Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The tongue, the nose, and heat

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,476
Odd things pop into my head some days.  
We all know that the primary flavors (sweet, salty, umami, sour, bitter) come from our tongue, while the more specialized flavors (cinnamon, pumpkin, oregano, leather, lavender, chinese gutter oil, parmesan, chocolate, et al) are actually aromas picked up by our noses.  

Where does heat fall in here?

I know heat can be detected on the tongue, but also on the lips, back of the mouth, definitely in the nose, the stomach and regions beyond, even other external places if you've peeled a bushel of Hatch and forget to wash your hands.  Is heat not even a flavor, but rather a stimulus?  If so, what's it called?  And can the tingle from szechuan peppercorns fall into this category too?  

I don't have the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat; does that author address this at all?  

Just an odd thing that popped into my head.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Botch- you should look at the way the perceived experts sample and judge bourbon.  Nose is the first assessment. Then they address the tongue tasting and variances from the front, middle and back along with the cheek action. Yes the heat is also addressed but that comes with the "Kentucky Hug."
    I will leave the more cooking focused nature of your thread to the experts.  (I have read the above mentioned book.)  Always opportunity to learn here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    You don’t taste with your eyes or your wanker, but give a good rub after chopping some jalapeños and Lit says the pepper burn is real.  

If that helps.
  • Botch
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Botch- you should look at the way the perceived experts sample and judge bourbon.  Nose is the first assessment. Then they address the tongue tasting and variances from the front, middle and back along with the cheek action. Yes the heat is also addressed but that comes with the "Kentucky Hug."
    Cap'n, I was an active member of a local winetasting club for a few years; we didn't do a heat judgement but your bourbon procedure sounds similar, just missing the "swishing" aeration at the front (no idea what a "Kentucky Hug" is but I'm not eager to know).  Fun stuff!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I thought “Kentucky Hugs” were what was given out as wedding gifts when two cousins marry.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    I thought “Kentucky Hugs” were what was given out as wedding gifts when two cousins marry.  
    BOO!  Brent dislikes.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've read (and I don't know if it's true) that heat is more a sensation akin to pain, rather than a "taste".  I heard about this in the context of Covid, where people would lose their taste/smell, but could still sense "heat" (chile heat).  IOW, it's not so much a taste/smell as it is a nerve stimulation.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a fan of heat and have recently encountered (local restaurant) a mussels dish that mixes Sambal and charred peaches in its sauce. You mix in the liquor form the mussels and you have found great joy. The blend of heat and sweetness does something to the mussels I have never experienced before. Normally, I enjoy a nice spicy and garlicky red sauce, though I have not met (mussel) a sauce I have not liked. 

……and always order extra bread with your mussels. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Really just responding to the things that pop into my head part of your original post @Botch…..and Happy New Year to you. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Plus you have ouch that temperature is too hot, the whoah this is making me sweat and my mouth burn hot, and then you have the who shoved that swab up my nose and making me cry hot.  I like the middle one best, but also love me some wasabi/horse radish.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    From what I've read in the past, capsaicin works on nerve cells that are used to sense temperature by lowering the threshold of what is hot to where ambient and body temperature seems very hot.   There are a number of isomers of capsaicin and a myriad of other chemicals that are in peppers that are delicious and associated with the heat, but don't have anything to do with it.

You can separate the capsaicin from these other chemicals with a rotary distillation apparatus and add the "other" chemicals to foods (like ice cream) where they have the flavor of hot peppers but none of the heat.

see:

Options
    From what I recall (and it has been a while) I anticipated that the "Heat" in the Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" was Scoville unit related.  Turns out is focused on the management of the heat (thermal) applied to whatever you are cooking.  FWIW-
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    This is a great thread.  To add to the mix - anyone have any idea what the difference in "heat" is between peppers (capsaicin), mustard and horseradish?  They all "burn" but are fruit, seeds and roots?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    This is a great thread.  To add to the mix - anyone have any idea what the difference in "heat" is between peppers (capsaicin), mustard and horseradish?  They all "burn" but are fruit, seeds and roots?
     My guess is root heat (horseradish, wassabi, etc) doesnt have the oils compared to peppers "capsaicin"?  So is that why the root heat hits you like a train, but doesnt linger, as their is no oil, so it does not stay on your tongue?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I’d heard of the Kentucky Chew before - was on the commissioning crew for the USS  Kentucky - everyone on the crew over age 21 got a special commemorative bottle of Blanton’s. Some retired Admiral and Kentucky native came to the commissioning party and gave a little history on bourbon and how to properly imbibe. 

They also served burgoo at the party - wasn’t a fan. 

Hadn’t heard of the Kentucky hug before - learn something new every day.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I’d heard of the Kentucky Chew before - was on the commissioning crew for the USS  Kentucky - everyone on the crew over age 21 got a special commemorative bottle of Blanton’s. 
     :o   In the Air Force, we get a coffee mug.  

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Botch said:
    Odd things pop into my head some days.  
    We all know that the primary flavors (sweet, salty, umami, sour, bitter) come from our tongue, while the more specialized flavors (cinnamon, pumpkin, oregano, leather, lavender, chinese gutter oil, parmesan, chocolate, et al) are actually aromas picked up by our noses.  

Where does heat fall in here?

I know heat can be detected on the tongue, but also on the lips, back of the mouth, definitely in the nose, the stomach and regions beyond, even other external places if you've peeled a bushel of Hatch and forget to wash your hands.  Is heat not even a flavor, but rather a stimulus?  If so, what's it called?  And can the tingle from szechuan peppercorns fall into this category too?  

I don't have the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat; does that author address this at all?  

Just an odd thing that popped into my head.  
    Heat is experienced on the tongue ... and on the area that the sun don't shine when it comes out.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    NDG said:
     My guess is root heat (horseradish, wassabi, etc) doesnt have the oils compared to peppers "capsaicin"?  So is that why the root heat hits you like a train, but doesnt linger, as their is no oil, so it does not stay on your tongue?
    I am intrigued by horseradish.  This website has some interesting facts.

https://horseradish.org/

It claims:

The “hotness” from horseradish comes from isothiocyanate, a volatile compound that, when oxidized by air and saliva, generates the “heat” that some people claim clears out their sinuses.  The bite and aroma of the horseradish root are almost absent until it is grated or ground.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NDG
    Options
    Interesting - ever tried the Headless Horseradish hot sauce?  Pretty good, mine is lasting forever since I really only use it on beef or other rich dishes.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    No.  I haven't.  I will have to keep an eye open for it.

I spend a bit of time in Indianapolis for business.  The steak houses there (St. Elmo's and Harry & Izzy's) are known for their strong horseradish cocktail sauce.  It is absurd!  I love it!  The last waitress we had told our table that if you are overcome with the burn from horseradish, all you have to do is breath in the vapors from your alcoholic drink (wine or spirits).  I am pretty sure we all looked pretty silly eating shrimp and sniffing our wine!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • NDG
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Yes I love that St Elmo’s cocktail sauce !!  We have an Indy trade show every yr - fun to watch that sauce blindside an unsuspecting victim !!

FYI here is the sauce I spoke of Headless Horseradish Hot Sauce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHL72G2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_D12D066WTHHQHJY4J4NP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    Columbus, OH