Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teaching my son to cook

My 5 year old has been asking to cook on the EGG. So far he’s knocked it out of the park twice. First cook was salmon and second was a flat iron steak.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Love it. Your lil guy looks so stoked about his cooks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Awesome memories for both of you. Enjoy it man! 
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great cooks and way to take advantage of the window of opportunity.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    What a great memory!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Awesome!  So far all my boys have shown interest at some level or phase of their childhood. Currently, my 12yo has taken a discarded dual fuel grill and repainted it.  He cooks on it occasionally. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Love it!  My boy didn’t get into grilling until late teens.  Got his first Egg this year at age 28.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    That’s awesome! I won’t even let my 18 y/o son get near my BGE. He is like a bull in a china closet though. I did get a Joe Jr on Black Friday that I have let him cook on a few times though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    awesome. I have a 2 yr old girl, and I try to get her in the kitchen watching us prep/cook every opportunity!  life skills for sure
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Bombdiggity!! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    You HAVE to get him his own apron with his name or air brushing on it.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Nice work.

I think there's been a wholesale failure from parents passing down knowledge to their children the basic skills needed in life.  Acquiring food via hunting and gathering, cooking, maintaining their grass hut, bike, car, avoiding scammers, etc.

Seems like (at risk of sounding like a grumpy old guy) kids are learning to keep their faces plastered in a tv/computer screen or phone and call up someone else for food or service.  Could be that it's not this generation's fault...can't teach something you didn't learn yourself.

At the very least teaching your kids to be curious, learning to learn and validate information on their own, being skeptical of information sources and appreciating the wide world of culinary options would elevate future generations.

The satisfaction of doing something yourself is up there with being correct in an argument, skiing and sex.
    One of my favourite authors speaks of having “good masters at home.” Teachers are great, but most life skills need to be instilled by parents or guardians. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2022
    Taught my son how to cook venison after his first whitetail hunt at 14.  Since then he has taken deer with a bow, and many pheasants.  At 35 yrs old, he still talks about all the hunting & fishing trips, and sends me pics of his cooks.  I always tease him that he is cheating with a pellet grill, but he makes damn good ribs & steaks.  You got to teach ‘‘em young!
  • caliking
    Taught my son how to cook venison after his first whitetail hunt at 14.  Since then he has taken deer with a bow, and many pheasants.  At 35 yrs old, he still talks about all the hunting & fishing trips, and sends me pics of his cooks.  I always tease him that he is cheating with a pellet grill, but he makes damn good ribs & steaks.  You got to teach ‘‘em young!
    I would have asked "Is that (finally) Brandon?"... but I don't want to derail the thread, per se. 

• Yes that’s Brandon!  He is 6’6”, and played basketball for many years. They won state in his senior year in High School.  He got BB scholarship to KU and K State, but went to Creighton to work on law degree.  Finished his JD at Washburn University, and now practices law in Wichita KS.  He loves to hunt and cooks what he kills! And he can sometimes beat me on the golf course!
  • Nice @Foghorn
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Yup  - my 31 y/o son has an XL BGE and make kisller ribs and pork butt!
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I can’t think of a better life skill to teach. Spending quality time with your son is about making memories and preparing him for the future. You gents are rockin it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Carry on the tradition.  Nice work giving your son the opportunity to cook on the egg, that's great.  I've got a 2 1/2 year old Granddaughter showing interest.  I help her cook on the mini egg she calls "Baby Egg"
  • caliking
    @BPFBGE - a friend gave this book to caliprince, when he turned 7yo:

It's been really fun. He'll pull it off the shelf every other week, and want to plan dinner for a weekend night.