Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grinding your own meat

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    caliking said:
    The KA grinder attachment is decent for small batches. There are a number of all- metal grinder attachments available, that do a better job. 

I did not know that! Mind giving me a brand name?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    buzd504 said:
    I like to get a whole brisket and grind and package the flat, and then smoke the point for chili.
    Just don’t tell @lousubcap about this!

He can cry all he wants - at 2.99/lb, it's cheaper and better than buying ground meat at the store, and I get a lovely bowl of beans along with it.
    No crying here.  At that price point you can grind all you want as it is likely better purposed in that role than trying to convince someone to spend half a day smoking it as brisket.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    caliking said:
    The KA grinder attachment is decent for small batches. There are a number of all- metal grinder attachments available, that do a better job. 
    Agreed.  Also as a note to the OP, there are some grinding disks available on Amazoid with bigger holes that give you a better grind, I don't have the link or even brand name anymore.  I do know the KA disk with the smallest holes I was never able to make work at all.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @ValleyGirl, @SGH, @iudex , @Hansm and any others here who have not experienced and enjoyed a Friday night Zoom session, give this link a look:

Bookmark
    Zoom/Speakeasy; Getting the Band back together Friday 12/3 at 5 PM/10 PM (EST/GMT)-more below   You will be glad you did.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just grinding fresh pork and adding the spice to get where you want - like sweet or hot italian for spaghetti sauce or whatever works great.  If I'm making a red italian sauce and I'm out of italian sausage, or short, I'll throw in some ground pork and a big dose of fennel.   That's a magic combination.

Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Agreed.  Also as a note to the OP, there are some grinding disks available on Amazoid with bigger holes that give you a better grind, I don't have the link or even brand name anymore.  I do know the KA disk with the smallest holes I was never able to make work at all.  
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kitchen+aid+meat+grinder+discs&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

I did not know that! Mind giving me a brand name?
    I think smokehousechef.com used to sell one, for about $100. It was built like a tank, though. 

There are others available on Amazon. Search for “KitchenAid grinder attachment”, and a bunch will pop up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    caliking said:

I’m wondering if KA deliberately avoid making all metal attachments because they don’t want to turn the plastic gearbox into the weakest link.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I def got my money's worth out of that KA grinder.  Eventually cracked.  Had the black residue issue now and then.  Probably some bearing grease/dioxin mixture and might help explain why I'm totally insane.
    Options
    caliking said:

I’m wondering if KA deliberately avoid making all metal attachments because they don’t want to turn the plastic gearbox into the weakest link.
    Could be. But, its likely because cost to produce all-metal attachments was higher, and not a lot of folks buy them. 

I think the tilt head models have plastic gears (and at least a nylon gear, that is meant to be a fail-safe mechanism i.e. it strips before you can damage the motor), and the bowl lift models have metal gears (or, at least, the Professional series models do). 

@WeberWho is the resident KA expert, so, maybe he can weigh in on this.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    MCanugghead said:
    caliking said:

Could be. But, its likely because cost to produce all-metal attachments was higher, and not a lot of folks buy them. 

I think the tilt head models have plastic gears (and at least a nylon gear, that is meant to be a fail-safe mechanism i.e. it strips before you can damage the motor), and the bowl lift models have metal gears (or, at least, the Professional series models do). 

Thanks again for your insight! My KA is a Pro model 6 quart 575 watt and it seems to have the power to rip a finger off if someone was that stupid to try to grab a beater in motion! 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with plastic gears if they are designed properly. 
    Options
    the big plates are a must for the kitchen aide, throw the small one away or put it in the drawer where you lose things. you need the big plate set just to do a chili grind. stuffing sausages is fine if you keep it under ten pounds and you have someone to help. my ka pro was a 15 dollar yardsale find, a poster from the old forum sent me a new circuit board so it could change speeds, dont even use the other speeds anyways but its got to be 25 years old now.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    If I remember correctly, KA manual says to use small hole attachment for cheese, large for meat.   Never tried cheese, like to keep it for meat.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Back in the summer, I decided to order a meat grinder. I bought the LEM #12 Big Bite grinder.
    https://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-grinder-12-head-size/butcher-meat-grinders

It is a really good machine, however after the new wore off, I noticed it was just sitting in the way. Knowing that deer season is now in full swing, I decided it would be a good time to re-home the grinder. Luckily I was able to get most of my money back out of it. 
    There is no doubt that grinding meat fresh gives a much better burger.
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kitchen+aid+meat+grinder+discs&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Hope this helps.
    Thank you. Will have to check once I try it out!
    Have to cold smoke some duck this weekend, so the egg is taken anyway.

Everyone's help really appreciated!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Never invested in a grinder.  When I bow hunted deer years ago, would field dress and take the clean carcass to the local meat locker.  They only would process deer on Fridays, as they did beef Mon-Thurs. and had to really clean the equipment after doing deer.  I always had them add 10% beef fat as they ground the venison.  It was perfect for stews and chile, and we made smoked deer sticks in a dehydrator.  Did 4-6 deer per season.  Good stuff back then!
  • RRP
    Options
    Long story, but nearly 4 years after a popular old style,  small “ slaughterhouse”  which could process 10:to 14 head of beef or pork per day plus an active seasonal deer processing service burnt to the ground. Arson was never suspected as the place was OLD! 

it was rebuilt in grandiose style half a mile away and today we went to their “soft” reopening meaning they aren’t still up full production, but getting there! We spent $100:as we were glad to see them back in business! 

Much to my surprise there was a band protestors! It was a band of 6 or 7 college age folk I’m sure from the college up the road plus at least 4 old gals who i recognized as frequent protestors at a local abortion clinic…

They had a few signs protesting against “slaughterhouse” and homemade PETA signs.

It just never crossed my mind that beef and pork, and seasonal deer processing was on the same level as human abortion - but I guess protestors need something to protest whenever they can go find something to go protest! 

=) 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    George Soros employees 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:

I guess protestors need something to protest whenever they can go find something to go protest! 

There's probably a lot of truth to that, Ron.  

Glad to hear the small business was able to reopen.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I ate sausage this morning. It was chicken sausage. I definitely did not grind my own. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

I missed the tag. Sorry about that. I don't have any experience when it comes to grinding with the KitchenAid. I wouldn't personally use any grinding attachments with any of their entry level mixers. You might burn up the motor and the nylon gearing isn't going to last. Even mixing dough can be a struggle on the lower end models. 

You best bet for grinding with the KitchenAid mixer is their Professional series or their older Hobart versions. There's a good chance you have nylon gearing if it's a tilt head (Excluding when built by Hobart and a few years after when Whirlpool bought them out) but that also goes for the same for the lift bowl models. I wouldn't chance it unless it's the older stronger Hobart mixers with all steel gearing or their new Professional series. I'm not saying it can't be done but that's a lot of wear and tear on a simple entry level mixer. KitchenAid would be more than happy to sell you a grinder kit for it though. They're even more happy when your KitchenAid mixer motor burns up or gearing goes. Just some extra green for them when you're out buying their Professional series.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    RRP said:
    Long story, but nearly 4 years after a popular old style,  small “ slaughterhouse”  which could process 10:to 14 head of beef or pork per day plus an active seasonal deer processing service burnt to the ground. Arson was never suspected as the place was OLD! 

it was rebuilt in grandiose style half a mile away and today we went to their “soft” reopening meaning they aren’t still up full production, but getting there! We spent $100:as we were glad to see them back in business! 

Much to my surprise there was a band protestors! It was a band of 6 or 7 college age folk I’m sure from the college up the road plus at least 4 old gals who i recognized as frequent protestors at a local abortion clinic…

They had a few signs protesting against “slaughterhouse” and homemade PETA signs.

It just never crossed my mind that beef and pork, and seasonal deer processing was on the same level as human abortion - but I guess protestors need something to protest whenever they can go find something to go protest! 

=) 

Business was booming as a result of the free publicity!
    https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/03/antler-restaurant-vegan-protest-toronto
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:

=) 

I hope none of the protesters were wearing leather shoes or gloves. Hope they didn’t get in a smart car with leather seats. Maybe some beauty products made with byproducts? Nah, I’m sure they were all decked out in homemade hemp clothes and shoes. 🙄

great to hear you got a local place back. 👍🏻
  • RRP
    Options

great to hear you got a local place back. 👍🏻
    Raber’s in West Peoria rose from the ashes like the proverbial bird due to the determined effort of that village board. They purchased and cobbled together 9 parcels of land, assisted in financing and set up a TIF with a 43 year life, to pay for it. When we first arrived in the distance not being able yet to read the signs I had guessed the protestors were going to be against the TIF and all the effort that the village board had put into it. Actually it amused me it was a PETA protest since the slaughterhouse business had existed just half a mile away for decades!