Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grinding your own meat

Options
I knew while writing that my topic name was a bit funky, but decided to stick with it  =).

I bought a manual meat grinder today. 55% off an established brand was too good to pass by.

Apart from recipes, are there any general guidelines I should keep in mind (mostly cleaning, and general usage)?
I would initially use it to make hamburgers and 'steak tartare' (if this is the correct wording in the US as well).

Would go down the sausage road after that (no nasty pun intended :) ).

Thanks!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    😎
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    iudex said:
    Apart from recipes, are there any general guidelines I should keep in mind (mostly cleaning, and general usage)?
    Keep your meat and the grinder cold for best results. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    When you're done grinding the meat, I've found that dropping a slice of bread into the grinder, and sending that thru, makes cleanup a lot easier.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Doing it by hand is much more satisfying than paying a professional and with better results if you do it right.
    Options
    As stated above, freeze meat and any pieces that touch meat before.   Then accept that you will have the best burgers ever.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Use a die large enough so don’t have a pile of mush coming out the grinder.
    You can always do a second grind if needed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use a food processor. Pulse til it's to your liking. Careful, it can happen quickly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited November 2021
    Options
    To me your key word was “manual”. Back before I bought the grinder attachment for my KitchenAid I used a manual grinder. What worked best for me was only grinding small quantities - just enough for say one meal. Otherwise trying to grind say even 10 pounds of meat can wear a guy out! 

So what I would do for instance was still buy chuck roasts when they were on sale and then divide the raw meat into 1, or 2 pound or whatever sizes then FoodSaver and freeze them. So when partially thawed I could grind a nice small batch and not get worn out!

Now I will grind 10, 15 to 25 pounds at a time, and still package and freeze the ground results…but my advice is don’t try grinding 10 or 15 pounds with your manual grinder!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. Great advise, seems like I am good to go. 

Should I just cool the grinder in the fridge or do you guys put it in the freezer as well? There is suprisingly little information on that.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Time to start making Sausage/salami

i put mine in the fridge, which if your meat is super fresh is not necessary…freezer, meat tends to stick much like the kids tongue to the pipe  on A Christmas Story 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No way I'm putting my meat in the freezer.
    Afraid of shrinkage?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Afraid of shrinkage?
    Yes, can't grind with shrinkage.  That's grinding 101.

Going back to the original post (OP), steak tartare should be diced with a sharp knife.

Options
    My local Butcher, yes a real Butcher shop told me that if I wanted to tar tar to order the day before. This way the machines are clean and they do a center cut 1st thing in the morning. The inner flesh is sterile
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hansm said:
    My local Butcher, yes a real Butcher shop told me that if I wanted to tar tar to order the day before. This way the machines are clean and they do a center cut 1st thing in the morning. The inner flesh is sterile

If I'm concerned about bacteria on the outside I'll douse the meat in distilled vinegar for a minute, then rinse off.
    Options
    throw your grinder and the cubed up meat in the freezer for 30 minutes before grinding

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• iudex
    Options
    Afraid of shrinkage?
    Yes, can't grind with shrinkage.  That's grinding 101.

Going back to the original post (OP), steak tartare should be diced with a sharp knife.

This is something I knew, but will second for everyone else :).
  • iudex
    Options
    Griffin said:
    throw your grinder and the cubed up meat in the freezer for 30 minutes before grinding
    Will try this out, seems right (following the other comments) to not deep freeze everything.

Let alone, one's own meat B)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    We bought a French made Moulinex dedicated meat grinder about 35 years ago. Almost always grind our own in bulk and chamber seal 1/2 and 1 lb pouches to freeze. We control what goes in. Agree with @Griffin , freeze cubed up meat and equipment 30 min pregrind.
    canuckland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I like to get a whole brisket and grind and package the flat, and then smoke the point for chili.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I like to get a whole brisket and grind and package the flat, and then smoke the point for chili.
    Just don’t tell @lousubcap about this!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Perfect timing!  Momma just got a high fluent fancy dancy KitchenAid with a grinder attachment!  I'ma learning about grinding my own meat and making sausage!   
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• ValleyGirl
    Options
    I like my KitchenAid grinder attachment, I live alone so have no need for large amounts of gound beef/pork.  I don't make sausages but grind the pork for recipes that call for sausages and add the seasonings, works well for me.  I do cool all the attachments in the fridge before I start and keep all surfaces clean.  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Just don’t tell @lousubcap about this!

He can cry all he wants - at 2.99/lb, it's cheaper and better than buying ground meat at the store, and I get a lovely bowl of beans along with it.
    NOLA
  • ValleyGirl
    Options
    Maybe a little anal, but have learned thru experience!!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Maybe a little anal 

Nothing wrong with that 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Perfect timing!  Momma just got a high fluent fancy dancy KitchenAid with a grinder attachment!  I'ma learning about grinding my own meat and making sausage!   
    From my experience, the KA attachment works great for grinding but not for stuffing; I eventually got a Lehm (?) stuffing machine.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Maybe a little anal, but have learned thru experience!!

SGH said:
    Maybe a little anal 

Nothing wrong with that 👍
    I had to do a double take and make sure this wasn’t the WAYDRN thread.  That would have been devastating.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The KA grinder attachment is decent for small batches. There are a number of all- metal grinder attachments available, that do a better job. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.