Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2021??

Comments

• Buckwoody EggerBuckwoody Egger Posts: 463
    edited November 2021
    The little piece of skin was like a pork rind. About halfway home.  Enjoyed champagne and smoked trout dip for an afternoon snack. 

• Buckwoody EggerBuckwoody Egger Posts: 463
    edited November 2021
    In the house. 

• DMWDMW Posts: 13,832
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW -great gesture.  Hopefully he did his own spatching.  Tool of choice for that?

Yeah, he spatchcocked his own bird. I used heavy duty kitchen shears and a cleaver to get the backbones out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • posterposter Posts: 1,011
    DMW said:
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW -great gesture.  Hopefully he did his own spatching.  Tool of choice for that?

Yeah, he spatchcocked his own bird. I used heavy duty kitchen shears and a cleaver to get the backbones out.
    If your ever having an issue with the backbone, I find a course serrated bread knife cuts through them like butter.  Not sure if thats why the tool of choice question was asked, but figured I'd throw this out there. Happy Thanksgiving 
  • You guys are amazing. Just sent everyone home great thanksgiving.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

"It’s very possible I’m doing it all wrong, haven’t watched any videos, but I’m happy with the ones I make."
      - @Legume

• LegumeLegume Posts: 12,914
    Thermo pop fell in the oil with the turkey.  Took me a good minute to fish it out and it works fine - took a minute or two to walk the temp back down.
  • TeefusTeefus Posts: 1,113
    The bird turned out well. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 17,045
    Nice, @Foghorn!

And, I love how you did your nails. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 9,372
    caliking said:
    Nice, @Foghorn!

Thanks!

With fancy veggies and nails, you on know my daughter is in da house. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking said:
    Nice, @Foghorn!

Sweet thumb ring too. Who knew? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,603
    Did creamed potatoes.  I'm going to do them like this from now on.  Roast raised up to 130 after rest.
    Made my first turkey gravy today with the backbone and neck of a spatchcocked bird. Little white wine, some chopped vegetables, chicken stock, fortified with some turkey drippings and soy sauce. It was pretty fabulous. Stoked to get such a good result on my first go. First time making mashed potatoes too. Those were great too.
    Mountain View, CA
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 17,045
    dmourati said:
    Made my first turkey gravy today with the backbone and neck of a spatchcocked bird. Little white wine, some chopped vegetables, chicken stock, fortified with some turkey drippings and soy sauce. It was pretty fabulous. Stoked to get such a good result on my first go. First time making mashed potatoes too. Those were great too.
    That's a win. I often think , that the only reason to make the turkey, is so you can make fabulous gravy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BattlebornBattleborn Posts: 2,825
    My wife made a sweet potato casserole. I think. 

Las Vegas, NV

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,603
    Looks like the nest of baby aliens after Sigourney Weaver hit it with the flame thrower.  Probably tasted great.
    My wife made a sweet potato casserole. I think. 

:o 
  • CTMikeCTMike Posts: 2,913
    edited November 2021
    Smoked a heritage breed pasture raised turkey from a local farmer over some pecan chunks, mashed potatoes, made some Hokkaido dinner rolls, roasted root veggies, broccoli w/ cheese sauce, and stuffing. Desserts were apple pie, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, and strawberry rhubarb pie. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • TideEggHeadTideEggHead Posts: 1,228
    Doing Thanksgiving with my side of the family today, the ham is on smoking for a few hours.

LBGE
    AL