Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just the tip?

Who here has an issue with everyone and their momma in Foodservice basically obligating you to tip them….was at Sonic for the kids….add your tip. Umm $0. I’ve never understood why we as customers must pay tips to waitstaff….you honestly think that that waiters salary ain’t factored into any portion of that $58 filet at Ruth’s Chris?

Comments

• I have an issue with tipping becoming expected for everything when it's purpose was intended to be if you felt you received exceptional service. Not just in food service but other areas as well. Most other countries tipping is never expected and in many cases refused. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I tip 20% for decent service and up from there. I worked in bars and served in downtown orlando in high school and college. $2.13 an hour 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I have an issue with tipping becoming expected for everything when it's purpose was intended to be if you felt you received exceptional service. Not just in food service but other areas as well. Most other countries tipping is never expected and in many cases refused. 
    The cost will be placed on the consumer either way. Prices will go up if they're paying a waiter/waitress a living wage.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit said:
    I tip 20% for decent service and up from there. I worked in bars and served in downtown orlando in high school and college. $2.13 an hour 
    That’s almost half what you make now!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    PigBeanUs said:
    Lit said:
    No I make 4 times a walmart employee
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    WeberWho said:
    I have an issue with tipping becoming expected for everything when it's purpose was intended to be if you felt you received exceptional service. Not just in food service but other areas as well. Most other countries tipping is never expected and in many cases refused. 
    The cost will be placed on the consumer either way. Prices will go up if they're paying a waiter/waitress a living wage.
    Ahh yes, but that $10 an hour won’t be an expected $20 on a $100 bill when I’m only there for 60 minutes. And I’m not the only table being waited on. That $10/hr could be $2 added to every menu item and be covered. And I only said $2 to cover the wage and the carrying costs on that employee……

curious as to why someone hit disagree. How about a why you disagree?
  • I’d definitely prefer that we just get rid of tipping and pay wait staff a decent wage. With what we normally tip I doubt it would make a big difference in the overall meal cost, and at least employees would know what to expect.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    Lit said:
    No I make 4 times a walmart employee
    Looks like you are taking notes. Must have cut a little close to the quick

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited November 2021
    Just quit with the bs and tip generously. 

If you wanted to save money you could cook at home. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I tip wait staff very well.  However, everyone expects tips now.  A McDonalds employee is not wait staff.  They are not paid a tipped wage.  Also, the person at Dutch Bros or Starbucks are not wait staff.  If you stay behind the counter (and are not a sushi chef), then you are not wait staff.

I would much rather have higher priced menu items without the tipping culture.  I have seen tip jars at Autozone.  Seriously?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I tip wait staff very well.  However, everyone expects tips now.  A McDonalds employee is not wait staff.  They are not paid a tipped wage.  Also, the person at Dutch Bros or Starbucks are not wait staff.  If you stay behind the counter (and are not a sushi chef), then you are not wait staff.

I would much rather have higher priced menu items without the tipping culture.  I have seen tip jars at Autozone.  Seriously?
    GET IN THE ZONE!
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    I had a Door Dash driver confront me over not tipping him cash. I did tip very well on the app, wasn’t good enough. Kinda pissed me off. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I had a Door Dash driver confront me over not tipping him cash. I did tip very well on the app, wasn’t good enough. Kinda pissed me off. 
    I had a restaurant switch my order from DoorDash to GrubHub, then keep the tip for himself.  I had a seriously pissed off driver.  I showed her my order receipt.  She called the police and showed up at the restaurant with them.  I spent my entire dinner on the phone with the driver and restraunt.  Now, I just pick up food myself.  It was a failed experiment for me.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited November 2021
    ColbyLang said:
    WeberWho said:
    Ahh yes, but that $10 an hour won’t be an expected $20 on a $100 bill when I’m only there for 60 minutes. And I’m not the only table being waited on. That $10/hr could be $2 added to every menu item and be covered. And I only said $2 to cover the wage and the carrying costs on that employee……

curious as to why someone hit disagree. How about a why you disagree?

$10/hr is minimum wage here in MN. You would be lucky to hire someone at $15/hr serving. Especially given the time of certain shifts. I don't know how many peoples are willing to work from 4-11pm at $10 or even $15 an hour without some type of tip. People also suck. Dealing with rude customers for minimum wage doesn't sound like the most ideal job. I have a feeling you'd be paying closer to $15-$20/hr. I think that would crush smaller mom and pop restaurants. I'd imagine it would cost the consumer more than a couple bucks. Especially when you're paying employees that much when things are slow. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    I had a restaurant switch my order from DoorDash to GrubHub, then keep the tip for himself.  I had a seriously pissed off driver.  I showed her my order receipt.  She called the police and showed up at the restaurant with them.  I spent my entire dinner on the phone with the driver and restraunt.  Now, I just pick up food myself.  It was a failed experiment for me.
    I very much try to pick up (well not me, I have kids for that now) after that. Also, it was the opposite here. The 3rd party delivery services were killing the restaurants here with different fees and the restaurants were coming out of pocket on their already thin margins. We try to eat at “local” non-chain restaurants as much as possible. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Yep, we just pick up at the restaurant these days.  Haven’t heard great stories about DoorDash or DeliveryDood.
  • I  usually tip 20% and round up taking a little bit off for serious screwup‘s. I once left a restaurant where the girl owed me 10 bucks.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I always thought it was weird restaurant workers can get paid less than minimum wage.  
  • The fact that we haven’t exactly seen people rushing back to their restaurant jobs as those businesses reopen speaks volumes.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    RyanStl said:
    I always thought it was weird restaurant workers can get paid less than minimum wage.  
    Only some states are tips factored into wages 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    I tip wait staff very well.  However, everyone expects tips now.  A McDonalds employee is not wait staff.  They are not paid a tipped wage.  Also, the person at Dutch Bros or Starbucks are not wait staff.  If you stay behind the counter (and are not a sushi chef), then you are not wait staff.

mcdonalds doesnt allow tipping. you can donate to the ronald mcdonald house but zero tipping allowed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Linda is a bartender in a local dive bar averages about $25.00 and hour in tips for a 6 hour shift , that plus the wages is decent money, then factor that $25.00 an hour is cash …it’s a decent wage and just for “ walking around” money 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    The fact that we haven’t exactly seen people rushing back to their restaurant jobs as those businesses reopen speaks volumes.
    As someone who deals directly with restaurants daily, this is an absolutely correct statement. My issue is this….where did all the waiters, line cooks and managers go? Meager pay, poor hours aside….EVERYONE has a sign that says now hiring. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ColbyLang said:
    The fact that we haven’t exactly seen people rushing back to their restaurant jobs as those businesses reopen speaks volumes.
    As someone who deals directly with restaurants daily, this is an absolutely correct statement. My issue is this….where did all the waiters, line cooks and managers go? Meager pay, poor hours aside….EVERYONE has a sign that says now hiring. 
    Ask and you shall receive.

ColbyLang said:

only place i see actively hiring is the supermarkets and box stores, seems they are picking up most of the workers at that pay scale. the public jobs though are a wreck, anyone with 20 years in took early retirement.. snow plowing for the state will be interesting, the big plows are up to 350 an hour and theres no drivers. dpw,water,sewer, the town dump, etc have about half the employees left. dunkin donuts on monday was one girl drinking a coffee behind a closed counter waiting to see if any other help even showed up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    ColbyLang said:
    Ask and you shall receive.

I love the 'Five things restaurants can do" part.

I was reading recently that economists had discovered a new theory of markets: people will work for money. It's even affected by supply and demand! Hopefully this information makes it out to managers in all American industries. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• ColbyLang said:
    What we have heard from friends of ours who own restaurants here in Durham is that these people simply moved into other types of employment.  Almost everyone they tried to hire back once business started to pick back up had simply found employment elsewhere or decided to go back to school, etc.  I think for a lot of reasons, the pandemic just crystallized for these folks that working for a restaurant just wasn’t what they really wanted to do.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Most restaurant jobs are entry level jobs and the work conditions and pay suck.  If more jobs open up some combination of better pay and/or better working conditions, it doesn't seem logical people are going to go back and take the crappier job.
  • Warehouse/DC jobs are where a lot of people went. Most pay high wages for low skill work. U-Line starts at $25/hr with good benefits. Think of how many people that Amazon has poached from the labor pool.