Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Steel Seasoning and NY-style Pie

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
This guy popped up on my EweTube the last couple weeks, and I like his style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQl2e_qFS8

I discovered the pizzamaking.com website just about the time I got my Large, and I went bananas on pizzas for several years, making several every week, experimenting, taking notes, adjusting, getting fat, etc.  I eventually burned out completely and haven't made a pizza in 5, 6 years.  

I don't have a pizza steel, but he goes into how to season one; given the recent cast-iron kerfuffle on a recent thread, you can take that for what its worth.  I still have my stone, and will use it if I ever start down this road again (and it does sound inviting, now...)

His method of stretching dough, and using a wood peel to launch but a metal peel to rotate/retrieve, mirror mine; the only difference was that once I had my dough to the proper diameter, I dusted it with flour, then flopped it inverted onto my wood peel onto which I had already sprinkled some course cornstarch, never had a sticking issue with that (using parchment works but so do bicycle training wheels, so you've been warned... :tongue:)

His minimal use of toppings also mimic what I was doing.  He didn't address basil; I always chiffonaded the leaves and added them to the pie, along with a drizzle of OO, after the cooked pie came out of the Egg.  I've tried adding the basil to the pie on one half of a pizza before baking, and added fresh basil on the other half; burnt-black basil tastes like nothing, I don't care if most high-end pizzarias do it that way.  

Was also interesting to see how he held his slices to the camera, completely vertical, and nothing dripped off; again, minimal toppings for the win. FWIW.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments