Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Pizza Steel Seasoning and NY-style Pie

BotchBotch Posts: 12,002
This guy popped up on my EweTube the last couple weeks, and I like his style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQl2e_qFS8

I discovered the pizzamaking.com website just about the time I got my Large, and I went bananas on pizzas for several years, making several every week, experimenting, taking notes, adjusting, getting fat, etc.  I eventually burned out completely and haven't made a pizza in 5, 6 years.  

I don't have a pizza steel, but he goes into how to season one; given the recent cast-iron kerfuffle on a recent thread, you can take that for what its worth.  I still have my stone, and will use it if I ever start down this road again (and it does sound inviting, now...)

His method of stretching dough, and using a wood peel to launch but a metal peel to rotate/retrieve, mirror mine; the only difference was that once I had my dough to the proper diameter, I dusted it with flour, then flopped it inverted onto my wood peel onto which I had already sprinkled some course cornstarch, never had a sticking issue with that (using parchment works but so do bicycle training wheels, so you've been warned... :tongue:)

His minimal use of toppings also mimic what I was doing.  He didn't address basil; I always chiffonaded the leaves and added them to the pie, along with a drizzle of OO, after the cooked pie came out of the Egg.  I've tried adding the basil to the pie on one half of a pizza before baking, and added fresh basil on the other half; burnt-black basil tastes like nothing, I don't care if most high-end pizzarias do it that way.  

Was also interesting to see how he held his slices to the camera, completely vertical, and nothing dripped off; again, minimal toppings for the win. FWIW.  

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,822
    I wonder what supposedly happens if you don't remove the mill scale from the steel. After several years...  nothing. That I know of.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Holee smokes for a second there I thought you made a pizza @botch
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 21,507
    Botch, if you need help cutting it into ten slices when you're done, maybe this video on YouBoob will help:

"A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

Living large in the 919
  • Botch, if you need help cutting it into ten slices when you're done, maybe this video on YouBoob will help:

That three cheese blend pizza he is rocking looks incredible.

John - SLC, UT

Several eggs ..

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 38,462
    36 motherf*ckin degrees!  I knew there was a trick to it!!!!

• LegumeLegume Posts: 11,824
    What if I want 36 slices?
    I do not have any broken or spare parts for any size egg.
    Legume said:
    I'm not convinced you can eat 36 slices.  Better stick to 10.  
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

Living large in the 919
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 38,462
    Legume said:
    No way, man....that's BELOW FREEZING!

• I like the way this guy eyeballs his 36 degrees without any tools.  Thanks just gangster right there.

John - SLC, UT

Several eggs ..

I like the way this guy eyeballs his 36 degrees without any tools.  Thanks just gangster right there.
    And then at the end as he realizes he only has eight slices, but keeps his poker face for the camera.  

LEGEND

Living large in the 919
    Sorry to hijack your thread, @Botch.  The video you linked is pretty good.  Here it is embedded for anyone who doesn't want to bother clicking through:

Living large in the 919
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 8,570
    edited November 16
    off-topprick is the new flaggot. you read it here first!
    canuckland
  • BotchBotch Posts: 12,002
    I like the way this guy eyeballs his 36 degrees without any tools.  Thanks just gangster right there.
    Nope, he cheated.  He was wearing an analog watch, and aligned his knife every six minutes.  

• Was also interesting to see how he held his slices to the camera, completely vertical, and nothing dripped off; again, minimal toppings for the win. FWIW.  

It looks like Walt went minimalist on his toppings, but they ran off the pie anyway.
    Flint, Michigan
    Was also interesting to see how he held his slices to the camera, completely vertical, and nothing dripped off; again, minimal toppings for the win. FWIW.  

It looks like Walt went minimalist on his toppings, but they ran off the pie anyway.
    That is a real home in Albuquerque, and the poor people who live there actually get a few pizzas tossed onto their roof every year.  

Living large in the 919
  • I gotta believe that’s not enjoyable.  I’m sure a few of the bolder tourists may take a stone from a flower bed on occasion.  I wonder if the Brady Bunch house had that kind of hassle?
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRPRRP Posts: 24,209
    Pizza steel? Someone mention pizza steel?... har har

Here's mine that I had fabricated and even took orders and sold 7 more...BUT this was my storage and carrying case for my steel to cooking classes.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HansmHansm Posts: 93
    Is that a thing in Albuquerque? What a waste of fine pizza.  
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • HansmHansm Posts: 93
    Being from the Metro Area, at least for now  =) , moving very soon. Basil only belongs on a Marguerite pie, and it's tossed on only when the pie comes out of the oven
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
    Hansm said:
    Is that a thing in Albuquerque? What a waste of fine pizza.  
    The show Breaking Bad was set in ABQ, and there is a famous scene where the pizza ends up on the roof.

It doesn’t take much more than that these days, sadly.

Living large in the 919
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 1,457
    Minimal toppings would be nice… but I lost that battle years ago.  The order here is to load it up.     Thanks @Botch for the video.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010), Mini Max (2015), LBGE garden pot (2018)
  • EggNorth said:
    Minimal toppings would be nice… but I lost that battle years ago.  The order here is to load it up.     Thanks @Botch for the video.

that made me laugh, good stuff 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 1,457
    EggNorth said:

that made me laugh, good stuff 
    Same as the ‘not too much sauce’ idea  :)  after all we are just the cooks.   It’s always interesting when everyone creates a 2 inch pizza for me to cook.  Also some like no browning at all on the crust.

The good news is everyone is happy and look forward to the next pizza.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010), Mini Max (2015), LBGE garden pot (2018)
  • Great video -- that dude knows his stuff and is totally relatable.  Seems like he used a two cheese blend, which is a pretty smart choice given the complexity of and time it takes to create a 3 cheese blend.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .