Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes Have Gone Sky High But I Found A Way

Options
My local store has prime ribeyes for $34lb.  I managed to bite the bullet and just buy a ribeye section for half the price $16.49lb.

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    Good deal and great marbling right there!  Nailed that cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Yummy!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Lit yep $34lb for prime ribeyes at a local store where we buy wine and prime meat.  2 years ago I was buying the same prime ribeyes on sale there for $9.99 lb. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options

@Lit I picked up the whole ribeye section from Costco for $16.49.  Even my restaurant supply connection was $24 lb for whole ribeyes.  Prices are all over the place.  Wagyu is $43 locally so the prices have gotten closer together. 
    Southeast Louisiana
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Looks killer , always best to buy primal cuts, hone your knife skills 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @ikapigian I frequently buy whole ribeye sections but given a choice when prices used to be $2-4lb difference I liked to pickup individual steaks from this butcher with the larger cap and cook them fresh.  Now with so much cost disparity I have no choice back to whole primals.
    Southeast Louisiana
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,803
    Options
    get them now before the price hike

NATIONAL OREO COOKIE DAY - March 6 2022 - National Today

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    My prices are a little lower per pound, but the amount of increase is about the same.  2.5X previous years.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    You guys aren't kidding about beef prices.  I went to get a steak for making a stir fry yesterday. I had to get almost past sell by date stew meat instead. Tasted good, but a was a little tough 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    You guys aren't kidding about beef prices.  I went to get a steak for making a stir fry yesterday. I had to get almost past sell by date stew meat instead. Tasted good, but a was a little tough 

the inexpensive meat for stirfry used to be flap steak, but even that is over 11 bucks a pound. even beef marrow bones are expensive right now. pork loin seems to be the only thing holding its price so its faux veal cutlet parm this weekend for me. good thing i like porkloin
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RyanStl said:

the inexpensive meat for stirfry used to be flap steak, but even that is over 11 bucks a pound. even beef marrow bones are expensive right now. pork loin seems to be the only thing holding its price so its faux veal cutlet parm this weekend for me. good thing i like porkloin
    I've been substituting pork loin for veal lately since I ended up with a huge pork loin that we didn't use at Brisket camp.  I beat the tar out of medallions  with a tenderizer hammer and if you bread and fry it, you can't tell the difference.   It was a 17 pound range loin and cost $1.90/lb.  Barely any fat.

Options
    I've just been using the money I'm getting from that child tax credit thingy.  With a couple of little bastards running around the place I've got more than enough to make up for the increases on delicious beef. 
    California
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RyanStl said:

I've been substituting pork loin for veal lately since I ended up with a huge pork loin that we didn't use at Brisket camp.  I beat the tar out of medallions  with a tenderizer hammer and if you bread and fry it, you can't tell the difference.   It was a 17 pound range loin and cost $1.90/lb.  Barely any fat.

thats the plan for the weekend, even picked up a hammer. usually just smash it with the back of a ci fry pan but its a little inconsistent. some of the best veal subs sold around here were/are pork
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RyanStl said:

Pork loins are highly underrated, IMO. Lean, cheap and when prepped nicely and not over cooked, wonderful. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,673
    Options
    RyanStl said:

Pork loins are highly underrated, IMO. Lean, cheap and when prepped nicely and not over cooked, wonderful. 
    brine is key to success!

This is also the way to buy them even when they are cheap

Try aging it when you buy a whole seven bone ribeye subprimal. 

Goos stuff
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Time to take up Sandhill Crane hunting.    Ribeye in the Sky and it's free...
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If you don't want to have your hamburger at ~$12-$15/lb you better contact your House and Senate reps and tell them to vote NO on the reconciliation bill. It contains $2500/pig, $4500/beef animal, $6500/dairy cow "methane" tax.   Again, that is PER ANIMAL. Who could afford that when you can't get that much selling the animal.  The stupidity of this Green New Deal is going to absolutely kill the entire meat industry - or drive it to overseas and we will be importing it.  This is actually in the more than 2000 page bill - they have to pass it so you can know what is in it.  
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    If you don't want to have your hamburger at ~$12-$15/lb you better contact your House and Senate reps and tell them to vote NO on the reconciliation bill. It contains $2500/pig, $4500/beef animal, $6500/dairy cow "methane" tax.   Again, that is PER ANIMAL. Who could afford that when you can't get that much selling the animal.  The stupidity of this Green New Deal is going to absolutely kill the entire meat industry - or drive it to overseas and we will be importing it.  This is actually in the more than 2000 page bill - they have to pass it so you can know what is in it.  
    Care to credit your source on that one?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/methane-tax-cattle-pigs/
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • onedbguru
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The actual source is the reconciliation bill itself.
    But Kat Cammack FL-03 facebook posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/100005179354976/posts/1881202155395745/?d=n

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Yeah, I’m shocked you got this from someone on Facebook.  Nobody could have ever predicted that.

We are sofa king screwed in this country.  Logic and reason just isn’t enough to combat the misinformation.  
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Care to dig it out of the bill for us?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    These commie bastards are going to drive me to raise cows and pigs in my backyard.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The reconciliation bill out of the House is available online.  You won’t find any of that stuff in it.  

If you google “methane tax fact check” on the other hand, you’ll get at least half a dozen independent outlets telling you this is all bogus.

If something sounds a little crazy, maybe look into it instead of just taking cousin Eddie’s word for it on Facebook.  

I swear to Christ we have citizens in this country who would believe that turkeys could fly if someone posted it on Facebook.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    The reconciliation bill out of the House is available online.  You won’t find any of that stuff in it.  

If you google “methane tax fact check” on the other hand, you’ll get at least half a dozen independent outlets telling you this is all bogus.

If something sounds a little crazy, maybe look into it instead of just taking cousin Eddie’s word for it on Facebook.  

I swear to Christ we have citizens in this country who would believe that turkeys could fly if someone posted it on Facebook.
    Turkeys fly. Just sayin.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• onedbguru
    Options
    So I suppose someone reads the entire bill, brings up verbiage printed in that bill and somehow it is misinformation?  It could have been stripped out after-the-fact (of the reading - Nov 4th),  but you do know there are those that do want to tax farm animal flatulence and get rid of the entire meat industry.  Logic and reason dictates that they read the entire bill before they vote on it, and provide first hand knowledge to their constituents as to its contents. That is NOT misinformation.  It is real-time information - and yes - possibly subject to change.  All of my searches say it is not really in there, but those posts were published back in October.  She was reading the bill 6 days ago (Nov 4th).  What better way to deal in misinformation than to have lots of farming post saying it is not there and sneak it back in. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    So it’s not in the bill?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Not at the moment. Could have been in at some point, and may get snuck back in at a later date and time. Seems logical right? 
    Snellville, GA