Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Show Me Your Art

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Takes one to notice one  :)

Thank you!  After that ghastly situation at @GrateEggspectations house, I am thankful some people still take pride in electrical plates.  Hopefully you have also placed your electrical receptacles.in the proper orientation with the ground pin at top.
    Nope, it’s called ground for a reason.
    Ground pin at top is safer.  If the plug is not all the way in and something slide between the plug and wall it would just roll off and not arc.  If you have ground at bottom, chances are good it will hit both prongs and rest there causing an arc and fire.  Imagine commercial buildings with old school metal labels.  After decades the adhesive begins to fail and the labels slide off.  With improperly seated plug, these labels arc between the prongs and cause fires when they slide off.
    Weird I have NEVER seen someone install a plug with the ground at the top. So all these electricians who should know that have been installing all these plugs incorrectly for decades?
    Go to a commercial building, especially hospitals, you will see it done with ground up.  This is based on an improved understanding of safety.  It is common to see ground down, and not necessarily wrong, but in general it is not the safest orientation.  Although, this is somewhat application dependant.  Just because "that is how it has always been done", does not make it the best way.  Many homeowners would balk at ground up, because they are not used to it.

Here is a primer if you are interested:

https://www.esinationwide.com/why-are-electrical-outlets-sometimes-upside-down.php
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    If the outlet is old and doesn't hold the plug tightly, isn't it better to have the hot prongs fall out before the ground?  :glasses:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Botch- being a sailor...TWSS.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options

Thank you!  After that ghastly situation at @GrateEggspectations house, I am thankful some people still take pride in electrical plates.  Hopefully you have also placed your electrical receptacles.in the proper orientation with the ground pin at top.
    Ground pin at top is safer.  If the plug is not all the way in and something slide between the plug and wall it would just roll off and not arc.  If you have ground at bottom, chances are good it will hit both prongs and rest there causing an arc and fire.  Imagine commercial buildings with old school metal labels.  After decades the adhesive begins to fail and the labels slide off.  With improperly seated plug, these labels arc between the prongs and cause fires when they slide off.
    Haha I said that with tongue in cheek. Learned something new.
    Funny how an art thread in a bbq forum got electrified  =)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Fuching engineers.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    If the outlet is old and doesn't hold the plug tightly, isn't it better to have the hot prongs fall out before the ground?  :glasses:  
    Improperly functioning outlets should be removed from service and replaced.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Options
    Botch said:
    Do you have a link for that?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    Do you have a link for that?
    Glad you asked (Fyi it is Keanu Reeves):

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-replace-an-electrical-outlet/9ba683603be9fa5395fab908943e20a

• Legume
    Options
    Turn off your power first, pfffft.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Weird I have NEVER seen someone install a plug with the ground at the top. So all these electricians who should know that have been installing all these plugs incorrectly for decades?
    Go to a commercial building, especially hospitals, you will see it done with ground up.  This is based on an improved understanding of safety.  It is common to see ground down, and not necessarily wrong, but in general it is not the safest orientation.  Although, this is somewhat application dependant.  Just because "that is how it has always been done", does not make it the best way.  Many homeowners would balk at ground up, because they are not used to it.

Here is a primer if you are interested:

https://www.esinationwide.com/why-are-electrical-outlets-sometimes-upside-down.php
    Interesting never thought about it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    So while the art discussion has gone to sleep and the EE's are here, I have a question. I replaced my 25 year old fluorescent kitchen overhead light with a new LED fixture. It was on a functioning three way switch, but now only one works. Can I replace the switches, or do I have to get the house rewired?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Yno
    Options
    To bring this back to something almost akin to art, here is my new banner for the patio.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yno said:
    So while the art discussion has gone to sleep and the EE's are here, I have a question. I replaced my 25 year old fluorescent kitchen overhead light with a new LED fixture. It was on a functioning three way switch, but now only one works. Can I replace the switches, or do I have to get the house rewired?
    They are pretty easy to troubleshoot.  Best start is to understand how they work:

Probably one of your switches is bad, but if this happened just replacing he light fixture and not touching the switches, only thing I can think of is the switches have dimmers and lights aren't compatible and one switch is dimmed and the other not. 

Switches are cheap, just replace both of them.

Options
    Belated apology to OP for derailing this thread, my bad.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    There's a certain element of art in electrical disasters.

What39s the worst cabling job you39ve ever seen in IT - Water Cooler

Options
    This is the day art died.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Not at all!  (And I’m not the OP)
    Forums are like cocktail parties, where the discussion swings all over the place, and that’s so much fun!  ( and you don’t have to drive home). 
    I’ve never heard of lining up the screw slots on anything, much less a stupid light plate. This has been totally hilarious to me, and I’m having all kinds of fun with it.  And I’ve learned a couple things (the Ground plug Up is new to me, but makes some sense).  

To atone a bit, tomorrow I may post an art piece that I made.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Yno
    Options
    Yno said:
    They are pretty easy to troubleshoot.  Best start is to understand how they work:

Probably one of your switches is bad, but if this happened just replacing he light fixture and not touching the switches, only thing I can think of is the switches have dimmers and lights aren't compatible and one switch is dimmed and the other not. 

Switches are cheap, just replace both of them.

There are no dimmer functions. I will replace the switches next time I got to the hardware store.

Thanks!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    Not at all!  (And I’m not the OP)
    Forums are like cocktail parties, where the discussion swings all over the place, and that’s so much fun!  ( and you don’t have to drive home). 
    I’ve never heard of lining up the screw slots on anything, much less a stupid light plate. This has been totally hilarious to me, and I’m having all kinds of fun with it.  And I’ve learned a couple things (the Ground plug Up is new to me, but makes some sense).  

To atone a bit, tomorrow I may post an art piece that I made.  
    Want more fun my friend? Splitting hair and playing devil's advocate here, j/k of course...

Thinking below the outlet box, if my basement is flooded, ground pin down buys me an extra inch of safety cushion before the basement pool is electrified (assuming all things being equal behind the wall), no? What say you ozzie  ;)

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Unlike TV, you do not get electrocuted if you are in a body of water with outlets.  Unless you are the shortest path to ground.

I've walked through flooded concrete in several inches of water, barefoot, with powered outlets all around me.  No problems.

Options
    There's a certain element of art in electrical disasters.

What39s the worst cabling job you39ve ever seen in IT - Water Cooler

Does this count? Landline phone switchboard in my basement  :)

Back in the day new home builder would fish a phone wire to every room, sticking out of a hole in the wall (IIRC). It was new owner’s responsibility to hook them up to the telco demarcation jack and finish each line with wall jack.

canuckland
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    OK. I did run a few wires into this room. Not sure it was art or organized
    A lot of copper plates for ground bus in these rooms.

Wire in the corner went up to 4th floor.

There was a lot more cabling under the back room floors. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    OK. I did run a few wires into this room. Not sure it was art or organized
    A lot of copper plates for ground bus in these rooms.

Wire in the corner went up to 4th floor.

There was a lot more cabling under the back room floors. 
    Back in the day I would have to run cable throughout a 100 year old hospital in St. Paul. You could hardly lift up a ceiling tile with all the years of cable being run over the top of them. We would always shoot hangers for our cables. We would have to fight just to get the gun up through the cables. Fun times. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    I don't have any real art but I've collected silk screen posters from Dave Matthews Band concerts I've attended. All still rolled in cardboard tubes. One of these days they'll find a frame and a wall. 
    Those are really cool. Just take them with you to Costco and get them framed already. You’ll be happy you did. 

Saw DMB back in the early 2000s. The real treat was that Bela Fleck opened for them, and the second set featured Fleck and co. just jamming along. Highlight for me was a 30 minute rendition of #41. Available here, if you’re curious. 

What a trip! What a perfect opener and to come out to jam with them when have been even better! How cool is that! I'll definitely give it a listen when I'm out in the garage this afternoon. 

The only poster I don't have is the Alpine show in 03. It was the first year they made posters for each of their shows. It's a regular poster and not silk screened. I've only ever come across one or two of the posters for that particular show and I either missed the sale or they sold for way too much. I've always thought about making my own poster for the show. Just to have something to hang for that particular show.

What's cool about the silk screen is that their limited to around a thousand posters per show and signed by the artist who made the poster. Once I redo my basement I'll definitely have to get them out and framed. 

Thanks again for the video. I can't wait to give that a listen!
    Cool backstory. My suggestion is to stay on your search and if you’re persistent, you will find the Alpine poster - though I would expect you’ll have to shell out for it. I have a friend who is a huge, huge DMB fan. Incredibly tight band live. 
    I want to say they sold somewhere around $400/piece. If money were endless I wouldn't even question it. The downfall is that it's a regular poster. I don't think the wife would be on board. I can't even see myself spending that type of money on a poster. The hard part is that it's incredibly rare to come across one being the first year of posters. The show already had a limited amount of posters and not too many have stuck around pushing 20 years later. The other bummer part was that they used the same image for a good portion of the tour that year and just changed the show name on the poster. So the poster itself isn't really anything that special but a still a "want" type thing. There is website called Dave posters that shows all the different types of posters made for each show. The last time I checked they didn't even have a poster image for the show I attended. For the longest time I didn't even think they made one. I've seen a couple now over the years of searching and I know they exist. Definitely a unicorn for DMB posters!

An early Christmas present to myself and from my wife. This poster I've been seeking showed on eBay this week. The seller had it posted out of my price range when first posting it earlier this week. A few days later he dropped the price by half. I submitted 3 best offer messages to the seller but all went unanswered. (I had to try) Even at half the price it was more than I would have liked to have paid. I ended up being the winning and only bidder. (Which was nice to see as the minimum was still in an insane price when at the end of the day it being a poster.) I figured this might be my only shot of claiming a poster from that particular show. Now patiently waiting to see if it shows up in one piece. Now it feels like I've bought a piece of art! 

Awesome on the score!  Great story too.  It has to feel amazing getting this at the end.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    I don't have any real art but I've collected silk screen posters from Dave Matthews Band concerts I've attended. All still rolled in cardboard tubes. One of these days they'll find a frame and a wall. 
    Those are really cool. Just take them with you to Costco and get them framed already. You’ll be happy you did. 

Saw DMB back in the early 2000s. The real treat was that Bela Fleck opened for them, and the second set featured Fleck and co. just jamming along. Highlight for me was a 30 minute rendition of #41. Available here, if you’re curious. 

What a trip! What a perfect opener and to come out to jam with them when have been even better! How cool is that! I'll definitely give it a listen when I'm out in the garage this afternoon. 

The only poster I don't have is the Alpine show in 03. It was the first year they made posters for each of their shows. It's a regular poster and not silk screened. I've only ever come across one or two of the posters for that particular show and I either missed the sale or they sold for way too much. I've always thought about making my own poster for the show. Just to have something to hang for that particular show.

What's cool about the silk screen is that their limited to around a thousand posters per show and signed by the artist who made the poster. Once I redo my basement I'll definitely have to get them out and framed. 

Cool backstory. My suggestion is to stay on your search and if you’re persistent, you will find the Alpine poster - though I would expect you’ll have to shell out for it. I have a friend who is a huge, huge DMB fan. Incredibly tight band live. 
    I want to say they sold somewhere around $400/piece. If money were endless I wouldn't even question it. The downfall is that it's a regular poster. I don't think the wife would be on board. I can't even see myself spending that type of money on a poster. The hard part is that it's incredibly rare to come across one being the first year of posters. The show already had a limited amount of posters and not too many have stuck around pushing 20 years later. The other bummer part was that they used the same image for a good portion of the tour that year and just changed the show name on the poster. So the poster itself isn't really anything that special but a still a "want" type thing. There is website called Dave posters that shows all the different types of posters made for each show. The last time I checked they didn't even have a poster image for the show I attended. For the longest time I didn't even think they made one. I've seen a couple now over the years of searching and I know they exist. Definitely a unicorn for DMB posters!

An early Christmas present to myself and from my wife. This poster I've been seeking showed on eBay this week. The seller had it posted out of my price range when first posting it earlier this week. A few days later he dropped the price by half. I submitted 3 best offer messages to the seller but all went unanswered. (I had to try) Even at half the price it was more than I would have liked to have paid. I ended up being the winning and only bidder. (Which was nice to see as the minimum was still in an insane price when at the end of the day it being a poster.) I figured this might be my only shot of claiming a poster from that particular show. Now patiently waiting to see if it shows up in one piece. Now it feels like I've bought a piece of art! 
    Awesome on the score!  Great story too.  It has to feel amazing getting this at the end.

I set my alarm on my phone to watch the last 10 minutes of bidding. I made one last offer but I ended up receiving a message from eBay saying the seller most likely won't see my message before the auction was over. Which made sense. The seller has something like 900+ sales. The seller wasn't sitting and watching anyone bid on this poster. I had zero intentions of buying it full price until about 40 seconds left. Realizing this might be one of my only opportunities of purchasing this poster. I wasn't all that far off from my final offer and the starting bid. I put the lowest possible offer in with about 20 seconds left and crossed my fingers. I figured it was meant to be at that point. I had a hard time justifying the price but I knew I'd be kicking myself later when I wasn't too far off from the lowest bidding price and not being able to find one again. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2021
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

I set my alarm on my phone to watch the last 10 minutes of bidding. I made one last offer but I ended up receiving a message from eBay saying the seller most likely won't see my message before the auction was over. Which made sense. The seller has something like 900+ sales. The seller wasn't sitting and watching anyone bid on this poster. I had zero intentions of buying it full price until about 40 seconds left. Realizing this might be one of my only opportunities of purchasing this poster. I wasn't all that far off from my final offer and the starting bid. I put the lowest possible offer in with about 20 seconds left and crossed my fingers. I figured it was meant to be at that point. I had a hard time justifying the price but I knew I'd be kicking myself later when I wasn't too far off from the lowest bidding price and not being able to find one again. 
    I rarely think about price when I am using or admiring an item.  Even when I do, it is not with regret.  I can, however, tell you items I did not get and look back with regret on a few hundo stopping me.  Especially with Art and limited edition items.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I've said the exact same thing!  Only her name wasn't Art....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Classic "Window of Opportunity" jumped thru.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.